THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Happy birthday, Simon!

Looking forward to visiting you in 2020!
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Thanks for remembering my date of birth, dear Flabbergasted. I almost forgot it myself last night... :P

I'm also very much looking forward to see you again this coming springtime. :)
ICfreely

Unread post by ICfreely »

File this under:

#mejew

'Bombshell' Tells The Story Of Sexual Harassment Allegations At Fox News
Linda Holmes, David Folkenflik December 20, 2019
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/20/79031983 ... t-fox-news
ICfreely

Unread post by ICfreely »

File this under:

Stuck between Chiraq and a hard place

Jay Robert "J. B." Pritzker (born January 19, 1965) is an American businessman, philanthropist, and politician serving as the 43rd Governor of Illinois. He is a private business owner based in Chicago and a managing partner and co-founder of the Pritzker Group, and a member of the Pritzker family which owns the Hyatt hotel chain. He has an estimated personal net worth of $3.4 billion.[1]

Pritzker was the Democratic nominee for governor of Illinois in the 2018 gubernatorial election.[2] He defeated Republican incumbent Bruce Rauner in the general election on November 6, 2018, and took office on January 14, 2019.[3] As governor, he holds more private wealth than any other governor in U.S. history and is the second-wealthiest U.S. politician to have ever held office, after Michael Bloomberg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Pritzker

Hmmm…
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

21 killed at TERMINAL 21, allegedly...

https://apnews.com/f9be83e8622f7737226875899f27335a
sharpstuff

Unread post by sharpstuff »

Dear Clues Members and would-be members,

I have just created a new topic called Engineering 'Nuclear' Power.

I hope that those who read this essay can input their knowledgable replies such that we can all understand whether such a notion is viable and whether it means anything at all.

As I say in my preamble:

'A number of issues in this thread have been discussed before and relevant to that particular item under discussion. However, I would like to concentrate on ‘nuclear’ power itself.'

I look forward to your comments.

Sharpstuff
sharpstuff

Dear Clues members,

Forgive me if this is common knowledge but I was researching the bias of Wikipedia and came upon this site.

www.conservapedia.com

I have no idea if you have come across it but wanted to share it anyway. I've done a few searches on contentious issues and they seem very reasonable. It is very 'American' but gives a much more unbiased view than our old enemy Wikipedia.

I also entered 'Tychos' (it doesn't appear) and discovered you can create a page for it!

For what it's worth.
Be well.
Sharpstuff
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

sharpstuff wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:36 amForgive me if this is common knowledge but I was researching the bias of Wikipedia and came upon this site.

www.conservapedia.com

I have no idea if you have come across it but wanted to share it anyway. I've done a few searches on contentious issues and they seem very reasonable. It is very 'American' but gives a much more unbiased view than our old enemy Wikipedia.
Not sure citing a conservative and Christian fundamentalist site could lead anyone to a clearer understanding of reality. What vile philosophies.
sharpstuff

fbenario wrote:
Not sure citing a conservative and Christian fundamentalist site could lead anyone to a clearer understanding of reality. What vile philosophies.
Apologies. I did not explore that aspect. I would certainly not recommend any site that follows an agenda. I was merely looking for some sanity.

Be well.
Sharpstuff
sharpstuff

I am writing this for the 'Chat Box' in resonse to Peaker's writing on the Tychos thread, which I would not like this response to derail that thread in any shape or form so I enter it here.

Quote: Peaker wrote: Have you heard the saying “The map is not the territory” ? It rings in my ears these days.
Yes and it should in all hearing ears.

The phrase was coined by Alfred Korzybski (if you didn't know already).
https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_ma ... _territory

'The map is not the territory' metaphorically illustrates the differences between belief and reality. The phrase was coined by Alfred Korzybski. Our perception of the world is being generated by our brain and can be considered as a 'map' of reality written in neural patterns. Reality exists outside our mind but we can construct models of this 'territory' based on what we glimpse through our senses.

An interesting link:

https://fs.blog/2015/11/map-and-territory/

I personally came upon a book by Harry H. Weinberg entitled 'Levels of Knowing and Existence' when I was working for the Science Research Council and had access to their library in 1967. When the Internet came about, I was able to find a copy of this book via a book-seller in America and now proudly own a copy. This incredible book, alone, changed my life for the better of understanding.
I cannot find a copy on the Internet archive but if push comes to shove, I am willing to scan the book (274 pages) when time permits, if anyone has an interest.

Be well,
Sharpstuff
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Dear sharpstuff, just a thought: if you think about it - and as irony would have it - we earthlings are in a better position to map the skies than to map our own planet.

Our eyes function well when we look outwards - we have no way of looking into ourselves.
Peaker

Unread post by Peaker »

Well, I made it to the CHATBOX! Nice to be here. And thankyou Sharpstuff for not letting Korzybski's words just float off into the never-never. Your links were enlightening, and I didn't know of the 'less wrong' wiki :D

But we love our maps, don't we?

I got lucky some time back and bought a telescope with some serious pretentions to discovery. There is something very underrated about using a telescope at night and that is this: as the object you have focused on moves out of the field of view you will have the strongest notion that the world is revolving under your feet! It's the darndest thing!
heniek1812

Unread post by heniek1812 »

Thanks Sharpstuff for giving me a chance to know about this man. If you decide to scan the book or perhaps key chapters I would gladly be on a list of those interested in it.

Thanks again :-)
sharpstuff

Dear heniek1812,
Thanks Sharpstuff for giving me a chance to know about this man. If you decide to scan the book or perhaps key chapters I would gladly be on a list of those interested in it.
I have uploaded a copy of Korzipski's book 'Science and Sanity' as a prelude to my scanning of Weinberg's book which will take me some time.

For others who may be interested in semantics, I have provided links for you to follow as I had to upload it (thanks Simon) in two halves.

http://septclues.com/SHARPSTUFF%20files ... -1-444.pdf

http://septclues.com/SHARPSTUFF%20files ... 45-888.pdf

Be well.
Sharpstuff
heniek1812

Unread post by heniek1812 »

Thanks a lot Sharpstuff !!!!