Miscellaneous NASA comedies

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Vext Lynchpin

Unread post by Vext Lynchpin »

(Moderators: Please move or delete this if it's not in the right place -- I wasn't sure where to post this; it's been a long time since I've followed the threads here.)

On the NASA Instagram feed, they've posted a photograph that they claim is of the planet Pluto, photographed by the New Horizons spacecraft. Given that NASA is well-known in this forum for its media fakery, I wondered if any of you had any thoughts about it.

Here's the direct link to the above photo, followed by the Instagram link:

https://igcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 3801_n.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/5HTXKMoaFL/

At first glance, it looks impressive, and unlike any other photo of a planet I've seen. But after looking at it for a while, I couldn't help but think it resembles an old rubber ball -- or a larger version of same -- smeared with paint and dirt. It doesn't look digital to me at first glance, but it's hard to tell with such a low-quality "preview" image. To my eye, it looks like an art project, not a real planet.

Here's the fotoforensics.com link for the image:

http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?i ... 0&show=ela
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

Vext Lynchpin wrote:To my eye, it looks like an art project, not a real planet.
From the linked article:
Paul Schenk, a co-investigator on the science team, said, “It looks like somebody painted it for a ‘Star Trek’ episode.”
No kidding? Must be real then.
Vext Lynchpin

Re: Miscellaneous NASA comedies

Unread post by Vext Lynchpin »

I've seen that kind of thing before with NASA and other authorities. Hiding the truth in plain sight as a joke.

Considering the distance of Pluto from the Sun, I'd like to know how such a well-lit photo of Pluto was taken by a passing spacecraft (assuming, for the sake of argument, that New Horizons took the photo as NASA claims). Was it a very long exposure time? Is the film (or digital equivalent) especially sensitive to light? (Or is this not a very good line of questioning?)
Nick Java

Unread post by Nick Java »

Regarding all the excitement over the former planet known as Pluto, which it seems we've forgotten is a former planet now that we have these amazing new images:
image sourced at http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files ... 150709.png

image sourced at http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files ... _final.png

I'd just like to point out I'm surprised no one has commented yet on the rim lighting. I wonder what's powering the kicker light.
I hate to give NASA clues on how to improve their realism but I don't think it's by sepia toning them. :D
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Those look really funny. I guess there just weren't stars in that area, too?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

No offence, but are you sure somebody hasn't mistaken NASA for the NDSA (National Down Syndrome Assoc.) ?

"Spacecraft" that can travel to the ends of the galaxy yet can only take one lousy polaroid image of a planet? How was this "image" taken then sent back to earth, a mere 5 billion miles, and how was it received? I'll tell you how! Some clown made it in Blender on day one of a Course for Beginners.
icarusinbound

Unread post by icarusinbound »

In an interesting (and I think unprecedented) development, the UK's lead MSM printed free newspaper has a Pluto planet article in it....which claims to focus upon what it calls 'conspiracy theorists'.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/15/those-fir ... s-5297755/

I do need to confirm that their online piece dated/timed Wednesday 15 Jul 2015 9:36 pm is actually being included in their printed edition- it should be practical to do, since the newspaper is printed in millions of copies, and distributed to offices, passenger rail and aviation seated areas, fast food outlets etc. It is a popular free paper with a lot of mid-demographic commercial advertising, and is possible to be considered as being a key herd opinion-former.

Signigicantly perhaps, the article (whilst doing the standard discreditation and dismissive fun-poking) contrasts two ends of the disinfo continuum. One is a few screen-shots of SFW-but-rabid forum jousting from some standard online source. The other main element is an unusually-calm offering from the Youtube channel of the Crow 'Moon ripple/hologram' guy, wherein he does a fairly incontestable, simple comparison between his own supposed backyard pro-am backyard astronomical pictures, and the (relatively lower-res) pictures ostensibly taken by a spacecraft during a flyby approach (and prior to this latest ball-shot)..

This gets into the realms of potential double disinfo, with probable shill content being overtly pilloried by the MSM, but, there being some elements of possible debunk merit included within.

The Metro author is credited with being an Ollie McAteer:
Those first ever up-close images of Pluto are fake, say conspiracy theorists
Fake? We do hope not (Picture: EPA/NASA)
You see these awesome, first ever up-close images of Pluto and its moon? Yeah, they’re all fake. Every last one of them. According to conspiracy theorists, that is.

The human race made history with NASA’s flyby of our solar systems dwarf planet.

But such an achievement wouldn’t be the same without someone p****** all over the parade with their anti-life urine.
The Metro newspaper tends to project a supra-tabloid style, so this demotic shorthand is not unusual. In time-honoured sequence, the article becomes more reverential and calm in it's format, closing with conventional reporting of unquestioned 'real' pictures of Mission Control joyous raptures.

This looks a lot like left-hand/right-hand conjuring, within a 'trust us, we're truly true' context....but, in essence all just a confection of nonsense, intended to reassure/lampoon/divert attention.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

ICfreely

Unread post by ICfreely »

Alas, definitive proof of extraterrestrial life! Damn, I didn’t know you dabbled in astrobiology anonjedi2. Don’t forget us little people in your Nobel Prize acceptance speech.
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

hoi.polloi wrote:Those look really funny. I guess there just weren't stars in that area, too?
Don't worry Hoi, National Geographic has provided a helpful 'superimposition'.

Imagination not necessary.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

simonshack wrote:Allright folks - here we go... Time to dust off our laser guns ! :lol: :rolleyes:

Friday, July 05, 2013
Astronomers detect mysterious radio signals from 11 billion light years away

http://thespacereporter.com/2013/07/ast ... -galaxies/

Sunday, July 7, 2013 - 9:01
Mysterious Radio Signals From 11 Billion Light Years Away Detected
http://beforeitsnews.com/space/2013/07/ ... 62482.html
"The scientists studied the energy of these bursts and concluded that they originate from an extreme astrophysical event involving relativistic objects such as neutron stars or black holes."

"Relativistic objects"!! - no less ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and today, in Italy, it is sold as "Big News from NASA" - with our hero Parmitano ready for action!
Misteriosi lampi di onde radio, intercettate dagli scienziati per la prima volta nella storia al di fuori della nostra galassia. L'origine di questi eventi, per ora, inspiegabili risalirebbe addirittura a undici miliardi di anni luce di distanza dalla Terra. Le ipotesi sul campo sono molte. Su una cosa sono tutti d'accordo: "Arrivano da un evento incredibile, in grado di produrre un'energia enorme"
http://www.affaritaliani.it/cronache/ra ... refresh_ce

But hey - all of this is OLD news! Here's a 2009 article from the Corrriere Della Sera by Margherita Hack, (Italy's recently deceased "female Einstein"):
"Chandra e anche il satellite Spitzer per l' infrarosso hanno osservato ventinove «blobs», estesi ciascuno parecchie centinaia di migliaia di anniluce (per confronto il diametro della nostra Via lattea è circa centomila anniluce) in una vasta zona di cielo e si trovano a una distanza di circa 11 miliardi di anni luce da noi (...)"
http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2009 ... 7041.shtml
If you don't read Italian - here's what Margie is on about:
"The mysterious 29 blobs discovered by NASA's Chandra satellite, at about 11 light years from Earth"...

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2009/labs/

OMG - all this is sooo terrifying ! :P
Bump
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

icarusinbound wrote:In an interesting (and I think unprecedented) development, the UK's lead MSM printed free newspaper has a Pluto planet article in it....which claims to focus upon what it calls 'conspiracy theorists'.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/15/those-fir ... s-5297755/
The comic known as the 'The Daily Mail' has also picked up this rubbish. Predictably it's like reading some kind of bizarre caricature...

Let the Pluto conspiracy theories begin! Internet erupts with claims that New Horizons visit is the 'biggest lie in history'.

Shock horror... some people don't immediately accept 'expert' opinion & odd photo's without asking some questions!

Either way the articles of this 'Richard Gray' (who supposedly wrote the hack piece) are all clearly quite ludicrous. For example...

Are women the key to solving CLIMATE CHANGE? Females produce less pollution than men when travelling, study reveals.

Have gamma rays killed off alien life? Extreme radiation may explain why we have not spotted life on other planets

Our scorched Earth in 2100: Nasa maps reveal how climate change will cause temperatures to soar

To be perfectly frank with articles like this the Daily Mail may actually be helping us win the war in the long run... who can really deny the need for media skepticism with articles (& 'experts') like this roaming the msm?
Selene
Banned

Unread post by Selene »

see below for my post; arc300 is reacting directly to Critical Mass above here...
Last edited by Selene on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:59 am, edited 31 times in total.
arc300

Unread post by arc300 »

@Critical Mass
Yet again, it is heartening to notice that in the NASA/Daily Mail article you linked above,
the comments from the so-called deniers outnumber the comments by the alarmist warm-mongers.
The warm-mongers can only revert to type by, among other childishness, playing the Flat Earth card:

Bex, Adelaide:

"Climate change deniers, who by corollary are denying catastrophic environmental pollution, are the new 'Flat Earth Society' as well as those who accused Galileo Galilei of heresy for proclaiming that the the Earth rotates around the Sun...
Selene
Banned

Unread post by Selene »

arc300 wrote:@Critical Mass
Yet again, it is heartening to notice that in the NASA/Daily Mail article you linked above,
the comments from the so-called deniers outnumber the comments by the alarmist warm-mongers.
The warm-mongers can only revert to type by, among other childishness, playing the Flat Earth card:

Bex, Adelaide:

"Climate change deniers, who by corollary are denying catastrophic environmental pollution, are the new 'Flat Earth Society' as well as those who accused Galileo Galilei of heresy for proclaiming that the the Earth rotates around the Sun...
Great to point out, arc300, thanks, but "Bex" from "Adelaide" (you'd have to blame the water shortages to anything but the increased use of it in drier climates...) hopefully will be viewed as the stupid troll she is.

Galilei was peaking (1610 moons discovery) some 70 years (~3 generations back then...) after Copernicus (1543) and Bex is invited to stop participating in this "catastrophic environmental pollution"; just quit breathing. No, not literally; death wishes are for losers.

Selene