THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
brianv

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by brianv »

Why is it that every-time I look up someone of particular interest, I'm half expecting to see Born : Sept 11, and today was no exception.

Today it's a MAN, who wrote about the subjects of philosophy and music and culture, his given name was "Theodor Ludwig Wiesengrund", seemingly "modified" at the request of a woman sometimes known as his "his mother", and again to "Theodor Ludwig Adorno", upon being sentenced to live on board the prison ship, known by some as, the "USA".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_W._Adorno

PS
Theodor Ludwig Adorno was an "assimilated Jew" - whatever the fuck that is! Don't you just love High Order Abstraction? A=B

It's one of the tools that we have been beaten with for centuries! Look for it in the "Media" and in "Law" and "The sky is blue" type Education and ESPECIALLY Wikipedia.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

brianv wrote:Why is it that every-time I look up someone of particular interest, I'm half expecting to see Born : Sept 11, and today was no exception.

Today it's a MAN, who wrote about the subjects of philosophy and music and culture, his given name was "Theodor Ludwig Wiesengrund", seemingly "modified" at the request of a woman sometimes known as his "his mother", and again to "Theodor Ludwig Adorno", upon being sentenced to live on board the prison ship, known by some as, the "USA".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_W._Adorno

PS
Theodor Ludwig Adorno was an "assimilated Jew" - whatever the fuck that is! Don't you just love High Order Abstraction? A=B

It's one of the tools that we have been beaten with for centuries! Look for it in the "Media" and in "Law" and "The sky is blue" type Education and ESPECIALLY Wikipedia.
PPS
Adorno saw the culture industry as an arena in which critical tendencies or potentialities were eliminated. He argued that the culture industry, which produced and circulated cultural commodities through the mass media, manipulated the population. Popular culture was identified as a reason why people become passive; the easy pleasures available through consumption of popular culture made people docile and content, no matter how terrible their economic circumstances."
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Brian Clemen's "Thriller", Season 6, Final Episode, "Death in Deep Water". Opening Sequence.
1974/5
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

edit/

Site's been acting strange for me since late last night!

And, I have just been 404'd by Gmail, with errors on other sites too. Anyone else having these?
sunshine05

Unread post by sunshine05 »

brianv wrote:edit/

And, I have just been 404'd by Gmail, with errors on other sites too. Anyone else having these?
I haven't had any problem accessing the site.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Cheers it must be a local thing, probably the thunderstorms we're having.

I made a quick and dirty gif from the above mentioned "Thriller", 1974. I had to chop a little off the front end as the file was too large. Stock Footage.

Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

brianv wrote:Site's been acting strange for me since late last night!
Same here.
MsQ

Unread post by MsQ »

Yes. A couple of days ago, (I think it was Tuesday,) the forum page wouldn't load at all.
Lazlo

Unread post by Lazlo »

MsQ wrote:

Yes. A couple of days ago, (I think it was Tuesday,) the forum page wouldn't load at all.
Just a guess, but I think the NSA is ramping up their hacking wars. Ubuntu forum was down; they got hit hard. They got user names, password hashes, etc. I don't think you get more pro privacy than open source software. Just my thoughts.

Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance

There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated with progress reports.

What we know

Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.
The passwords are not stored in plain text, they are stored as salted hashes. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.
Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.
Progress report

2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement
2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place while investigation continues.
2013-07-21: we believe the root cause of the breach has been identified. We are currently reinstalling the forums software from scratch. No data (posts, private messages etc.) will be lost as part of this process.
2013-07-22: work on reinstalling the forums continues.

Edited for accuracy
sunshine05

Unread post by sunshine05 »

brianv wrote:Cheers it must be a local thing, probably the thunderstorms we're having.

I made a quick and dirty gif from the above mentioned "Thriller", 1974. I had to chop a little off the front end as the file was too large. Stock Footage.

Great find. It looks very much like the 9/11 production. Do you happen to know what happened to the building in that movie?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

sunshine05 wrote:
brianv wrote:Cheers it must be a local thing, probably the thunderstorms we're having.

Great find. It looks very much like the 9/11 production. Do you happen to know what happened to the building in that movie?
It looks very like one of the productions. Probably stock.

I don't really understand your question, unless you think the airplane crashed into the building. The airplane is distant! The building got finished.
Mickey

Unread post by Mickey »

Here we go http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/07/27/flo ... -building/

7 Killed — Including The Gunman — In Florida Shooting
Hialeah police received a call at 6:30 p.m
Jove

Unread post by Jove »

Is a little philosophical metaphysics permitted here? It regards the possibility of an earth-centered universe.

I believe in something I call the retrograde perspective. It means that for every perspective a person can have (ie., I am walking forward) there is a kind of opposite but equal one to be experienced (ie., I am still and the world rushes past me, or even, I walk by turning the Earth with my feet).

So it suits me perfectly well to believe that we have no solid evidence that the universe is as the scientists say it is. I also call it scientific solipsism, because it speaks to the kind of rationality Descartes proposed when he said that all we can know is that we exist and that we are thinking. I always wonder what I would believe if I grew up isolated on a deserted island. What would I rationally and empirically come to believe?

I think we only know what we come to understand by ourselves. So if we didn’t witness the news, it makes sense to me not to believe any of it. Education and learning from others has its value when treated with skepticism. Faith is replaced by the best experience of real knowledge you can have when you come to your truths by your own observation.

But still there is always the doubt, which is the retrograde perspective – the idea that things can be true in two opposite ways simultaneously. That’s just what happens when we can’t observe directly, but our observations are mitigated through senses and brains.

But that’s just my ramblings. I like to think about this kind of thing.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Jove wrote:
I think we only know what we come to understand by ourselves.
Yes, the external world or UNIVERSE sends you a lot of light, sound, heat, taste and smell particles for you to analyse and make sense of ... and that's it. Good luck!
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Jove wrote: I always wonder what I would believe if I grew up isolated on a deserted island. What would I rationally and empirically come to believe?
Great post, Jove. As it is, I often also wonder what I'd believe if I'd grown up on an isolated and deserted island. And what if a shipwrecked teriyaki taryaki got washed up on my shore, invading my blissful loneliness and complaining about my food, culture and costumes, what would I do? Educate him with saintly patience into accepting my diversity? Throw him back into the sea? I honestly don't know! :P