Big Brother Watching You? Have you been "giga-tagged"?

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
omaxsteve
Banned

Big Brother Watching You? Have you been "giga-tagged"?

Unread post by omaxsteve »

Looks like "Getting lost in the crowd" is a thing of the past.

Face Recognition in a Crowd..........................
http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html

This is the crowd watching a hockey game on an outdoor screen in Vancouver , BC , Canada .

It is made up of 216 photos (12 across by 18 down) stitched together, taken over a 15-minute span, and is not supposed to represent a single moment in time. The final hi-res file is 69,394 X 30,420 pixels or 2,110 megapixels.

Put your cursor anywhere in the crowd and double-click a few times and then use the scroll button in the center of your mouse.

You can zero in on one single face. The clarity is unbelievable. If you turn on the "giga tag" feature you can see that many pepole have identified themselves and "tagged/linked" their image to their facebook profile.

regards,

Steve O.
hoi.polloi

Re: Big Brother Watching You? Have you been "giga-tagged"?

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Interesting, and definitely proven technology, but how easy would it be to slip a fake person in there? So easy.
weird_zoom.JPG
weird_zoom.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
Freaky. Is this guy "shushing" us because his finger is a sharpened crayon, or because he's not all there in other ways?

Knowing how little people pay attention to the actual size of things versus their depicted sizes in the media, I estimate the crowd could have been approximately one quarter this depicted size and 75% fake digital persons. I am not saying that's what's happened, nor am I ignoring the creepy surveillance implications, just saying.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Man blows his top!

Screen capture. (Don't see how to get a link to this portion of the image)
omaxsteve
Banned

I have no doubt that this technology can be , and has been, misused for various purposes. years ago when there was a referendum to separate the province of Quebec from the Canadian federation there was a lot of ballyhoo about misrepresentation of crowd size. The pro-federation (mostly english) medial would make a claim that a rally gathered 500,000 participants, and the separatist (mostly French) Media would cover the same rally and claim that there were between 20 to 30 thousand. Both showed "crowd shots " in their newspapers, photos that are very easily manipulated.

I wonder how long, and how many people were deployed by the authorities in Boston to study the crowd shots in order to have "found" the alleged perpetrators. EVen with this technology I would imagine that it would take many hundreds if not thousands of man hours to find any usable information from within a gathering of such a large crowd of people.

regards,

Steve O.
omaxsteve
Banned

I guess the technology has not yet been perfected .

Here is a screen grab from the crowd photo showing a guy climbing the fence with no lower body, and a passerby without a head.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/omaxs ... 9.jpg.html

regards,

Steve O.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

omaxsteve wrote:I guess the technology has not yet been perfected .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Must have been another Chechen pressure-cooker bomb!