The Reality Shack

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
hoi.polloi

The Reality Shack

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

I just poked around in our old archive and discovered some topics cannot be clicked on because their titles are missing. Was this a problem before, or is this new?

I tried editing a post to change its title and found that that could restore titles to topics with missing titles.

simonshack
Administrator

Re: The Reality Shack

Unread post by simonshack »

Weird... Why would (only some of) those titles disappear?

Fortunately, the old invisionfree forum is still up - and all titles are still there: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Reality_Shac ... howforum=2
hoi.polloi

Yes, maybe I should bother to add the titles back, if I can figure out how to access them one by one.

I believe the topics that were transitioned or continued or moved to CluesForum did not lose their titles.

I recently disabled registration at The Reality Shack. We were getting a new member a week for a while, despite obvious signs everywhere that we were closed, which tells me there is probably a program/programs in place subverting this forum's dear old grandpa the Reality Shack. Could be robots, or it could be what we were seeing here ... the slow infiltration of controlled users from parts unknown to outnumber those who seem much less untrustworthy. Shells for a hired actor with supplied backstopping to pretend to be any number of fake users they can scheme.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

This thread has the potential to be very confusing to the members and readers of this forum.
First off: the missing titles are indeed a by-product of the import from Invisionfree. You may have forgotten this, but I recall vividly the many hours I spent correcting so many threads of the errors caused by the import. One of the requirements was precisely to reinstate a title to many threads that had lost it, something that I did keeping the Invisionfree pages open next to the new ones generated by the import script.

Hoi, the thing you are referring to in this thread, the Reality Shack archive present on the cluesforum, is not accessible to anyone except admins, so I don't think it is really a problem in what state it is. Being an archive, it is preserved in the form it was after the import without any restructuring or correction. Its separation from the internet is necessary or rather crucial especially to avoid redundancy of content with search engines. You don't want readers to be directed to archived and closed topics, when there are opened ones with the same content and more.

Like Simon said, Invisionfree is still up, and it works as the actual archive of the thing. But more importantly all the same content is still present in the active part of the cluesforum simply restructured. In conclusion I would call this a false problem.
hoi.polloi

Well, good. In that case, I'll just let it go. Thanks!