SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read

Re: SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

Postby hoi.polloi on January 18th, 2018, 4:55 am

Alright, everyone. Phhewww! I got through the latest suggestions. I hope you are happy, animus! Now, when is our translation of the Historical Development coming?
:P

Just kidding. I know that will be a massive document to bother translating.

anonjedi2, I've completed your latest audits up to page 39 of the I$$ thread. Thank you both for all you do.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on January 19th, 2018, 12:00 am

hoi.polloi » January 17th, 2018, 10:55 pm wrote:Thank you both for all you do.

Seconded and I'd also like to thank you, Hoi, for your time and efforts maintaining the quality of the forum. If you should find yourself in Minnesota when I am there (I spend the summers there, mosquitoes be damned) I'd love to buy you a beer!

I still think SSL should be implemented, but I am not sure how to help with that effort. If you decide to take another stab at it, I'd be happy to offer guidance/support. Just let me know.

--PianoRacer
PianoRacer

Postby Seneca on March 30th, 2018, 10:58 am

I can't find how to change my e-mail address or even see what e-mail address I registered.

ADMIN NOTICE (simon): Dear Seneca, I've sent you an e-mail about the issue - should be fixed now.
Seneca

Postby Observer on June 27th, 2018, 2:19 am

Instead of their only location being elsewhere, it sure would be nice to have all of your 19 videos hosted here and/or here Simon?
Observer

Secure site: Good news and bad news

Postby hoi.polloi on July 13th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Dear CluesForum,

Last week, we successfully implemented security to the site (https) which encrypts data and ostensibly protects people. I am not buying it since I think there are probably very strong hacks (in possession by intelligence agencies I'd assume?) that can get around such site behavior.

But why have we done this?

In the near future it's possible that The Governmoogle and other establishment search engines will begin hardcore blocking of non-SSL/TSL web sites. So as a preemptive measure to preserve the small trickle of traffic we have, we have added this. (After trying a few methods I got it to work!)

However, there may be a few consequences because the forum was not built under SSL and it may cause the occasional bug. If you notice any weird behavior, please let us know and we'll try to look into it when we can.

Thank you for your patience!
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby fbenario on July 14th, 2018, 2:29 am

I wondered what was going on. For the last week when I click Login I get the following message:

"This site can't provide a secure connection

www.cluesforum.info sent an invalid response

Try running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

I've had to click the link at the top of septemberclues.info to access the forum.
fbenario

Postby hoi.polloi on July 14th, 2018, 4:27 am

Thanks fbenario. I get some weird error occasionally which is completely different. If you don't mind please sending me your browser and operating system info in an e-mail I will try to get to the bottom of this. It may take a while and once more thank you for your help and patience. Just to be clear, this is not when you go to the login page but when you hit the LOGIN button after you enter your credentials, correct?
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on July 14th, 2018, 4:33 am

fbenario,

What URL were you attempting to access when you got that error? Were you clicking a link or accessing a bookmark?

For myself, for some very strange reason, after I log in and click the "Return to Previous Page" button, it adds a specific port 80 to the https link:

posting.php?mode=reply&f=32&t=1608

As a result, and unsurprisingly (due to trying to access an https URL on port 80, which is default for http) I get a "Secure Connection Failed" message, specifically: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG.

When I remove the :80 from the URL, it works fine - so my advice is to figure out what mechanism is adding that :80 to the URL and nix it.

Good work on implementing SSL, imperfect as it may be, and good luck on resolving the issues!

P.S. Apologies for not making it to ALCON today. My kids came down with a moderate illness and I was needed here. I still hope to make it down tomorrow and not let my $80 registration fee go to waste. I hope things are going well there - give Phil Plait a kick in the shin for me.

All the best,
-PR
PianoRacer

Postby hoi.polloi on July 14th, 2018, 5:01 am

Health takes priority. Glad you didn't come today either since I was resting from the convention.

That switch to the right https port sure worked spectacularly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. fbenario, please see if that fixed your LOGIN button issues.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby fbenario on July 15th, 2018, 12:11 am

I use Chrome, and click Login at the bottom of the homepage every day. Last night after posting that I had gotten that SSL error message for a week I tried a few fixes specific to Chrome for SSL error problems that I found here:

https://www.ssl2buy.com/wiki/how-to-fix-err-ssl-protocol-error

I think I did numbers 3 and 4.

Right now I had no problem entering the forum as usual, clicking on Login at the bottom of the home page, with no 'SSL error' messages. What I don't know is if today's smooth login results from my Chrome 'SSL error' fixes last night or any programming change by Hoi today.
fbenario

Previous

Return to HOW TO REGISTER at CLUESFORUM - and other tips