DARPA & Narrative Networks

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
elmoastro

DARPA & Narrative Networks

Unread post by elmoastro »

In following a few different sources for the Conn event, found direct links to a recent DARPA posting for research funding available to study how narratives effect human psychology. Interesting reading in light of the decades of narrative manipulation currently in progress. The current events streaming out regularly through MSM are a case study in human psychology and the power of inputs, thought, belief to behave much like a computer virus by travelling over prior-programmed neural paths to evoke predictable responses. It seems at this time the people in the bulbous part of the bell curve do not have the ability to break through their belief programming enough to look at events with no internal wiring bias.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... e&_cview=0
Link to PDF of proposal: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=66c70 ... c45c80acbd
Overview: DARPA is soliciting innovative research proposals in the areas of
(1) quantitative analysis of narratives, (2) understanding the effects narratives have on
human psychology and its affiliated neurobiology, and (3) modeling, simulating, and
sensing—especially in stand-off modalities—these narrative influences. Proposers to this
effort will be expected to revolutionize the study of narratives and narrative influence by
advancing narrative analysis and neuroscience so as to create new narrative influence
sensors, doubling status quo capacity to forecast narrative influence. Proposed research
should investigate innovative approaches that enable revolutionary advances in narrative
science, devices, and/or systems. Specifically excluded is research that primarily results
in evolutionary improvements to the existing state of practice.

Motivation: Narratives exert a powerful influence on human thoughts and behavior.
They consolidate memory, shape emotions, cue heuristics and biases in judgment,
influence in-group/out-group distinctions, and may affect the fundamental contents of
personal identity. It comes as no surprise that because of these influences stories are
important in security contexts: for example, they change the course of insurgencies,
frame negotiations, play a role in political radicalization, influence the methods and goals
of violent social movements, and likely play a role in clinical conditions important to the
military such as post-traumatic stress disorder. Therefore, understanding the role stories
play in a security context, and the spatial and temporal dimensions of that role is
especially important.
hoi.polloi

Re: DARPA & Narrative Networks

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

That would partially explain the sheer number of Universities and research institutions that were ostensibly tapping into Simon's and my computers when we were doing the vicsim research a while ago. Not saying PeerGuardian is reliable (and indeed mine just doesn't work any more at all) but we were getting some weird 'visitors' and direct requesters to our IP such as NASA, etc.

It seems like a psychological experiment, for sure, and I am sure that's how many people justify their abusive behavior. 'Oh, I was just seeing if it would work ... what it would do ... I never meant any harm ... ' - the boundary testing and equivocating of child abusers, sociopaths and immature thoughts.

We hear the message of the media loud and clear on a daily basis - without them even saying it. Their claim is that there is no moral limit to science. We've heard such things from the Nazis and eugenicists for quite a while.

Are we really meant to believe they need "more research" on how to manipulate people through a "research project", as if they didn't normally treat people like animals? We know perfectly well they'd be doing it with or without permission from their victims. Perhaps it's just to get scientists on board with their disgusting agenda, or to convince themselves it's for a perpetually futuristic "greater good" that never arrives.

When they've apparently tapped the bottom, they invent another righteous-sounding excuse to get ever more maniacal and detached from their responsibility to here and now and their fellow human beings around them.

It's ironic that the more they use simulation to achieve reality, the more detached from reality they become. Testing humans with lies is the same thing as running a simulation entirely in a computer, and never goes near the truth - the primary difference between the two being that the latter doesn't emotionally abuse or damage people. Why can't they be content with leaving their fantasy world the fantasy it is?

Yet it seems they won't be content until they are being arrested, tortured, hanging from rope, or shot or exploded in a revolutionary war for them to realize reality is a little different from fantasy. On the other hand, perhaps they've hit that perfect wave of self-perpetuating falseness. With the help of technology they can manufacture trust, experiment on people to their stone hearts' contents, and never face justice or consequences to themselves. At least, not from us.

How's that for a study of narrative frameworks, perps? You can chew on that for quite a while and never resolve it, can't you?
Rudy Algera

Unread post by Rudy Algera »

Hey, I'm into the narrative business, I write horror stories, could I get a job writing scripts for DARPA?
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6250 ... 060020.jpg
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

"Not saying PeerGuardian is reliable (and indeed mine just doesn't work any more at all) but we were getting some weird 'visitors' and direct requesters to our IP such as NASA, etc."

I noticed that recently too hoi, and just reading that it hasn't been updated in five years. I had it crash a couple of times also.

Peer Block is a fork from the original project and might be a little better even though it's not being heavily developed.

http://www.peerblock.com/releases/publi ... 1.1.0-r518
CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu »

hoi.polloi wrote:Testing humans with lies is the same thing as running a simulation entirely in a computer
This is a sensible observation HP. It reminds me of the recent scientific theory, or passed as such, according to which the universe is a computer simulation. This theory is peddled by many media sources and on televised documentaries.

(http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/wh ... 25825.html).
CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu »

lux

Unread post by lux »

Perhaps they want to find out why they aren't fooling everybody like they used to back in the good old days of Huntley, Brinkley and Cronkite.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

I had written a whole explanation here as to why I think those warning from peerblock are false positives, and how in fact they do not prove one's computer is being monitored since everyone gets them when they use that software.
However I cannot be entirely sure, of course, and besides something more important just occurred to me: only recently, the new IPv6 protocol has become active worldwide.
This means that all of a sudden there are billions and billions of potential new IP numbers out there which a software like Peerblock should check against, while new ones can always be created and consumed without the hard limits that previously were in place.
Thus it is not surprising if this kind of software solution is being abandoned, because such a monitoring from the people's end seem to have become at this point technically undoable for the amount of computer load it would require to process those numbers, and utterly impracticable for the sheer amount of voluntary work hours that would be needed only to collect information in real time about all the potential new IP addresses ranges to block.