THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
fbenario

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by fbenario »

The only strange part of the text to me was this part:
But the real deal is that if it were any different, that is, in a positive sense where all shared in the world's resources like the United States, the world would be a worst place pollution wise, education wise, and morally. There is a bankrupt policy about knowledge that parades as if it is substantive and genuine.
While the majority of the article talks about the regrettable exclusivity of knowledge, this passage suggests knowledge is dangerous. Can anyone help interpret this a little better? Am I reading sarcasm incorrectly?
That paragraph doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the entire article. It may be as simple as an accidentally reversed word. If you replace 'worst place' with 'better place' it is consistent with the rest of the article.

If he actually intended to say 'worst', he may be referring (fairly inarticulately) to the tragedy of the commons, an economics theory that explains why commonly help property tends to deteriorate - no single person feels the need/responsibility to manage the land's resources for the long term.
Tragedy Of The Commons

The tragedy of the commons is a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently, and solely and rationally consulting their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared limited resource even when it is clear that it is not in anyone's long-term interest for this to happen. This dilemma was first described in an influential article titled "The Tragedy of the Commons," written by Garrett Hardin and first published in the journal Science in 1968.[1]

Hardin's Commons Theory is frequently cited to support the notion of sustainable development, meshing economic growth and environmental protection, and has had an effect on numerous current issues, including the debate over global warming.

Central to Hardin's article is an example (first sketched in an 1833 pamphlet by William Forster Lloyd) of a hypothetical and simplified situation based on medieval land tenure in Europe, of herders sharing a common parcel of land, on which they are each entitled to let their cows graze. In Hardin's example, it is in each herder's interest to put the next (and succeeding) cows he acquires onto the land, even if the carrying capacity of the common is exceeded and it is temporarily or permanently damaged for all as a result. The herder receives all of the benefits from an additional cow, while the damage to the common is shared by the entire group. If all herders make this individually rational economic decision, the common will be depleted or even destroyed to the detriment of all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

It's odd because he tries to devalue knowledge by saying it has a false value - a value that actually distorts and hurts the world rather than helping it.

This seems to be a 'sour grapes' argument - saying the lack of publicly accessible knowledge isn't exactly a bad thing and that those with knowledge are flaunting just another fantasy - actually a dangerous fantasy that would cause immoral behavior because humans naturally exploit knowledge selfishly - even when it is considered common knowledge.

Since it takes two sentences for him to make the argument, I don't think I am reading it incorrectly and I think he is failing an intellectual argument for the betterment of public dissemination of information.

Or else, he sees himself as one of the elite who he is criticizing - saying we should not reconsider how many people get the knowledge but that we should reconsider the idea of who those elite knowledgeable are.

In other words, it seems that he is almost saying the social order should remain as it is, but there should be more non-white old men at the top. I fail to see how that would fix the universal problems if the social order just changed colors rather than changing at its fundamental crises of design flaws.

We are after all arguing for more transparency when television lies to the world on a mass level as was done on 9/11 and is going on with all these fake terrorist events. If his nervousness about making knowledge more public is to endorse the Tragedy of the Commons, then who can he be writing articles for? His own idea of an elite force? African Americans in general? Who?

The Tragedy of the Commons argument applied against us is the idea that if people knew that TV fakery was a part of our daily lives it would somehow lead to general ruin and mayhem. There hasn't been any coherent argument for such a result. What can they cite - the racism that the 9/11 graphic producers themselves are promoting?
fbenario

hoi.polloi wrote:In other words, it seems that he is almost saying the social order should remain as it is, but there should be more non-white old men at the top. I fail to see how that would fix the universal problems if the social order just changed colors rather than changing at its fundamental crises of design flaws.
Incredibly well said!

I wish we could get people to see that merely replacing the political party they dislike, with the party they do like, will not fix any of the problems that are pissing them off. All it would show is that people are more interested in tribal identification than in changing anything to improve the world, especially if it would require them to question any of the received wisdom that makes them feel good.

What a vile attitude toward life, and truth. Stupid sheeple.
hoi.polloi

You don't have to be so pejorative, man. There's hope! (I hope ...)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

hoi.polloi wrote:You don't have to be so pejorative, man. There's hope! (I hope ...)
"There's hope, Camilla darling ! Our security guards are still on our side - uh - hopefully !" :P

*******************************************************************************************************************************
Absolutely priceless caption describing this photo on the Daily Mail: :lol:

"A yob's handprint seen on the passenger side window of the Royal's Rolls Royce"

Definition of "Yob" (dictionary) :
Chiefly British Slang
A hoodlum or lout. A rowdy, aggressive, or violent young man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -shot.html
sayiamu

Unread post by sayiamu »

Hello ... my first post .. just a question I always thought would be interesting to research .. (perhaps someone has already forayed).... into what kind of "media" and propaganda we were subjected to say ..the WEEK before the "big show" ...

We know about the drama episode .. where the planes were going to fly into the towers etc ... (I dont recall the name) ..and the announcement from Rumsfeld that 2 plus trillion? was missing .. and of course months before the 60 minutes report on Bin Laden ... .. but I'm curious to see what was in the papers and TV a week before ...

I recall that there were unprecedented SWARMS of SHARKS on both coasts of Florida.... ..anyone remember that? I think this would be very interesting ... If its a new subject for research ..maybe I will make it a project ...

ed 4 sp
Last edited by sayiamu on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Madoff's son...ahem...hangs himself!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101211/ap_ ... madoff_son
sayiamu

Unread post by sayiamu »

I have another topic ..wondering what kind of research anyone may have .. about dopplegangers ..

amongst the myriad of technological tricks TPTB have up their sleeves to manipulate us with are "clones" ..apparently, according to one of the people I listen to (Lenny Bloom from Cloakanddagger.de) every politician and many celebrity have DOUBLES ..that routinely make appearances in place of the real thing ... acoording to him ..some years ago .. Hillary was in two places at one time on the boob tube .. and it was quickly covered...

has anyone any info ?
fbenario

sayiamu wrote: .. but I'm curious to see what was in the papers and TV a week before ...
Excellent question. My memory is that 2 days beforehand 9/11, one of the 'good' 'warlords' in Afghan (to the extent such a person could possibly exist) was assassinated. Any connection to the 9/11 psyop?
fbenario

sayiamu wrote:I have another topic ..wondering what kind of research anyone may have .. about dopplegangers ..
Another good question. We already know that Hitler, Saddam, and the various nonentities 'leading' N.Korea use body doubles for fear of assassination. Beats me whether American politicians do.
sayiamu

Unread post by sayiamu »

Hey all! ,,I have ACTUAL FOOTAGE of the perps ... right at 1:01 you get the first glimpse.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2laYIEMH0
hoi.polloi

Please no "rick-rolling" in our chat box, sayiamu. :P

Weird Maddoff story. I suppose puns about the guy who Maddoff with the public's funds aren't apt right now.
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Unread post by reel.deal »

Last edited by reel.deal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terence.drew

Unread post by Terence.drew »

But the real deal is that if it were any different, that is, in a positive sense where all shared in the world's resources like the United States, the world would be a worst place pollution wise, education wise, and morally. There is a bankrupt policy about knowledge that parades as if it is substantive and genuine.

While the majority of the article talks about the regrettable exclusivity of knowledge, this passage suggests knowledge is dangerous. Can anyone help interpret this a little better? Am I reading sarcasm incorrectly?
This passage contains a small grammatical error ' a worst' - the superlative instead of the comparative. You can't have 'a worst place' in English, only 'the worst place'. Mind you my grammar has some howlers attached to it.

The passage is fine if you include the sentence before it.

"In much the same way, one sixth of the world population is now using more than 50% of the world's resources."i.e. if everyone exploited the finite resources of the world in the same fashion as the minority (US) do, we would be more f&*ked than we are )

He could be more clear in the language he uses, but in this section he explains the 'bankrupt policy about knowledge' and why it's claims are not 'substantive and genuine.'

"Those who own knowledge do so not because they are smarter or more ambitious, but because they are more aggressive and capable of employing more force. Much of the knowledge, as I have said, is not their own knowledge, it is borrowed, rented, stolen, but they have created the mechanisms of access."

A nice piece of writing Hoi for sure, and on Saturday morning I had the experience of waking up in a bed with a Gil Scott Heron Book of poetry beside it and ready to be thumbed and hungoverly mauled.

From 'The military and the Monetary" or "Work for peace" ... http://www.protestmusic.org/gil/

"The only thing wrong with Peace,
is that you can't make no money from it."

Pure. Simple.
And it explains almost everything that has ever corruptly come forth from the mind of man.

To be honest, I never understood the GilScottHeron phrase 'The revolution will not be televised' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3QOtbW4m0) , until the realisation of the weaponisation of TV fully sank in. This is the biggest shock for many people confronted with Tv fakery. TV IS A WEAPON LIKE A BOMB.

On a final note, I think (and it is my very personal opinion) that the Africa/black threading and blooding underfoot by the 'New' and 'Enlightened' and 'Civilized' and 'Stronger' Whitey peoples( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY) , was a dog and pony show to re-enforce and support the hoax known as 'evolution'. A progression from dark to 'light'.
If anyone on this site wants to argue regarding the truth of 'Evolution' lets hear you. Be sure though to have your facts and figures and evidence right. Just a reminder, 'Creationism' is not the opposite of 'Evolution', it is a story.
ThemDarnBats

Unread post by ThemDarnBats »

An Odyssey..... 2001: the end of the beginning.