THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Mickey

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Mickey »

I didn't doubt the authenticity in this example actually. Just startled to see it leak on a website I go to for my music needs sometimes (WCD). You definitely do not need to know what it stands for :) I think I had seen a username "hoi.polloi" there long time ago!

What happened to nonhocapito? I have not seen him here since forever.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Mickey wrote:
What happened to nonhocapito? I have not seen him here since forever.
Mickey, nonho has told me he needed a good break from the forum - and the internet in general. He told me he'd be back sooner or later, however. Crossing my fingers. :)
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

I think I've seen some other hoi.polloi about too, but I typically don't use the name much so if you see one it's probably not me. Probably not on a music site. Actually, there was an/were some early hoi.polloi or hoi polloi or variation(s) on some 9/11 conspiracy sites that I think were meant to dilute searches for September Clues discussions, but whatever.

nonhocapito comes and goes, he has his own life, like us all I guess. I wish he'd be around more too, but then — I often want to spend long periods away from this unpaid, very specialized and nearly thankless work myself, so I understand his absences.
lux

Unread post by lux »

More bad news for the media ...

"CNN and MSNBC Lose Almost Half Their Viewers in One Year"

source
lux

Unread post by lux »

I just found this -- anyone seen it before?
http://mediahoaxes.tumblr.com/

They quote me so they must be cool. :D
hoi.polloi

lux wrote:I just found this -- anyone seen it before?
http://mediahoaxes.tumblr.com/

They quote me so they must be cool. :D
Nice, lux! People should definitely be quoting you more often, when you say things I agree with. :P
lux

Unread post by lux »

:P
hoi.polloi

It's hard to say which of us is the bigger boob between the two of us. :lol:

At least your feet are firmly tickling a round ball-shaped Earth we are all familiar with from school, whereas mine are walking on some unknown surface I call "Earth" but whose geometry I insist I don't understand, and which seems flat from a local perspective. Could these be described as round-boob and flat-boob theories, respectively? :(

(Apologies to the women and bros who need a 'bro' in the room.)
lux

Unread post by lux »

Oh -- the Earth shape thing -- right! I forgot about that. Glad you reminded me because I meant to post these two photos of the Toronto CN Tower taken across water, one appears to be from relatively near and other taken a longer distance away. Observe the base of the tower in both photos.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7011/lp7k.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/7697/hyzt.jpg

I know this isn't scientific -- for example, we don't know the exact height that each camera was placed or what lenses were used, etc, but ... I still do get a certain feeling from looking at these photos and I'm curious what your take is on them.
hoi.polloi

The feeling I get from the disappearance of things over the horizon is that there is much about light we don't understand.

For example, at these extreme distances (I assume are extreme because of the blue tinting known as atmospheric perspective, a trick also used in art to make things seem distant) we also encounter mirages which cause images to appear floating ghost-like above the horizon. So you have light moving up or down along this amazingly straight line we call the horizon, but still less explanation for what causes it. Furthermore, you have all clouds getting smaller and smaller and disappearing on the horizon without a visible 3D curve to these clouds.

So, conventional explanations say: there are hypotheses which fit with the idea of light as a forever moving, rarely slowing, bending-with-difficulty kind of particle/wave thing goin' on. That's the stuff of Relativity.

But I don't see why light can't bend or be affected by something else quite as easily as other things in our visible tactile world — why it cannot merely have a range limit (in our atmosphere or in general) at which point it begins to warp or cling. So my speculation from an 'alternative' explanation would be a question posed in a picture like this:
curves.GIF
curves.GIF (2.86 KiB) Viewed 12068 times
Might light behave like this, subject to rules of buoyancy/magnetism/gravity/some other force(s)?

The pink rectangle (person) is at a distance from the blue building which would cause the top to completely 'vanish' from their perspective even though it is clearly (due to our God-mode GIF simulation here) and geometrically still right in front of them. I would guess the gray person is just near enough to recover the light before it is warped or it fails, so they can see the whole thing, just very small in the distance. The red person in the middle can see the top of the building but not the bottom. The light from the bottom has struck a distance from the blue building-like object which doesn't reach them.

A mirage may happen when this light 'bounces' or warps in such a way that it causes a nonsensical portion of the building to appear in the air. But most surfaces and atmospheres will not create these ideal conditions for a mirage.

So that's my totally ignorant, unscientific speculation about why we don't see a curved horizon but we see things disappearing feet first as they get further away. Might light behave this way?

Then, the blue airplane thing up in the sky — why can it see everything? Well, in this dreamy speculation, it cannot. It can see a certain distance, at which point it too has everything succumbing to a horizon. However, the objects are so tiny and in the distance compared to the large way we see them on the ground that we don't measure their disappearance over the horizon nor see them through the clouds. They just tuck behind a cloud, or if we are lucky enough to have extremely clear weather long enough, they are quite small and distant when they make that horizon-tucking trick they all do.

I imagine the light waves our eyeballs are lucky enough to be privy to move with great force and speed from everything, up in the air much further because they do not encounter the ground (this is where nature's censorship begins). If we could put ourselves underground and see through everything, I would guess we would continue to see things where they appear on the apparent surface, and we can't actually do the thing they claim we can do in cartoons, which is look down through the Indian Ocean and see New York from below. Or "dig to China" or whatever. Perhaps light even has a kind of buoyancy unique to itself! This would explain some of our ability to see far high up, but no curvature of the horizon.

Forgive me if this is a childish way of speaking about it, but I do see everything sometimes as a child might — without understanding, with awe, with a playfulness that actually makes me very much respect and enjoy this strange world we live in/on/however. And so if I am wrong, I am not insulted; this explanation makes sense to me for the time being, until I can explain better why there is no curve to the horizon visible from 40k, why there is no equatorial-oriented centripetal force in the North or South and other oddities that make me question whether we are truly on a spinning ball as is claimed.

In retrospect, I realize my building and tower motif is very terrorist-y and scary. If you prefer, imagine the building is a mountain and the airplane is a hot-air balloonist. :P
Last edited by hoi.polloi on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: clarifying/correcting some grammar
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

Helicopter Crashes Into Scottish Pub

Not sure what to make of this, however upon seeing this statement, I did wonder:
First Minister Alex Salmond tweeted: "The emergency services are in full operation. Our thoughts are with everyone involved. Scottish resilience operation now mobilised."
And to add, apparently a Scottish Sun Reporter saw the whole thing happen whilst getting into his car to go home after leaving work...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-25163045
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

pov603 wrote:Helicopter Crashes Into Scottish Pub

Not sure what to make of this, however upon seeing this statement, I did wonder:
First Minister Alex Salmond tweeted: "The emergency services are in full operation. Our thoughts are with everyone involved. Scottish resilience operation now mobilised."
And to add, apparently a Scottish Sun Reporter saw the whole thing happen whilst getting into his car to go home after leaving work...

Dig deeper into this stuff and it will most probably turn out that the pub's building was scheduled for demolition and the helicopter was a 50 year old piece of junk ( if there was any ) :)
lux

Unread post by lux »

Thanks for your replay, hoi. I am ruminating on it.
Evil Edna
Banned

Unread post by Evil Edna »

bostonterrierowner wrote:
pov603 wrote:Helicopter Crashes Into Scottish Pub

Dig deeper into this stuff and it will most probably turn out that the pub's building was scheduled for demolition and the helicopter was a 50 year old piece of junk ( if there was any ) :)
The city centre area along the River Clyde is undergoing major Gentrification. Planners saw the Clutha, an (ex-)dockers bar as an irritating intrusion. Undeserving of its prominent position on the Victoria Bridge approach to the city. An annoying working class blot. A monstrous carbuncle cluttering the glorious post-industrial image they benevolently mould for the genteel Glasgow of today.

Cue the Scotch Copper Chopper Crash PSYOP :rolleyes: And on St Andrews Day too! (St Andrew is patron saint of Scotland) :rolleyes:

To the far left of the derelict block, the Clutha Vaults bar

Neighbouring the Clutha bar is "a beautiful Grade A listed building". Called The Briggait hall, it served for over 100 years as the city's fish market. But it has just been redeveloped with £6.5 million of public money and is today leased as thirty Artists' Studios. :rolleyes:

BRIGGAIT HALL: A suite of Artists' Studios. Delightfully Bourgeous!

http://www.waspsstudios.org.uk/studios- ... chant-city

Demolishing the Clutha Vaults (pending removal of the vicsimmed corpses :rolleyes: ) will release a much larger area of prime development land. That land, for decades ripe for Gentrification, has laid stubbornly derelict up until now. :rolleyes:

See Google Street View:

http://goo.gl/maps/tezBQ

The imagery of the "devastating chopper crash scene" stretches all credibility.

The fauxtograph below is from the Daily Mirror.

See: http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... 867584.jpg and http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gl ... ix-2866906

The skyline is obviously falsified. Building 'B' does not exist in that position. 'B' is a small sandstone tower of the City Union Railway Bridge. But that is much further to the left. It is not visible from the supposed camera location. So Building 'B' has been spliced in.

The image is a blatant composite fake.

The chopper that supposedly crashed is named as a "Eurocopter EC135-T2". Since 2000, Eurocopter has been a division of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) N.V.

EUROCOPTER EC135-T2

EADS are in the fairytale business of fabricating "satellites" and other phony space junk, so are well versed in hoaxery! :unsure:
Last edited by Evil Edna on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

Evil Edna,

Looks like Scottish thrifty spirit in action , psyop on top of a land grab :) I reckon this Eurocopter was sold to some drug dealer/MI6 asset in South America but ordnung in papers muss sein as the Germans say :D