Simon in the USA — Summer 2018

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Re: Simon in the USA — Summer 2018

Postby anonjedi2 on July 14th, 2018, 7:02 am

Dammit, I wish I would have seen this. I live in Aurora, not too far from the Denver Airport. Feeling sad that I missed an opportunity to meet the two of you!
anonjedi2

Postby hoi.polloi on July 14th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Oh I would have liked to meet you too. Well, it might have been brief as we would have to get out from behind the security area and back again before boarding closed. Still, we'll have to make it another time when we can just relax and chat. See you around hopefully!
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby hoi.polloi on August 9th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Simon will be giving FREE presentations of the TYCHOS at two major University locations in the USA this month before heading back home to Italy.

Location 1: Flagstaff

We couldn't find a good picture of this (probably unimpressive unphotogenic) building but if you peer through the archway in Google StreetView, it's that boring brick looking thing in the very background.

Nevertheless! Come to the free presentation and enjoy Simon's speaking engagement!

Friday, August 17, 2018 @ 4:30-6:30pm
Northern Arizona University
Physical Science Building
Room #233
527 S Beaver St, Flagstaff, AZ

Google may not map you to the correct location. Please find facility parking, which will be about $7 or $1/hr on the street (we were informed). I haven't spent much time at NAU so we will be a bit unfamiliar with it, but it looks very bicycle friendly. Provided it's not storming. And it might be.

Location 2: Minneapolis

Thursday, August 23, 2018 @ 6:30-9:30pm
University of Minnesota
John T. Tate Astrophysics Hall
Room #110
116 Church St. SE, Minneapolis, MN

As for parking here, can't help you. I know there are parking structures around. But it's a beautifully walkable/bikable/rollerskatable/busable/trainable campus so anyway you come to the U of M show up for some complimentary coffee (that's coming out of my rapidly dwindling personal budget but, hey — Science! Philosophy! Challenging the mainstream! And I will get a paying job again soon) and stimulating solar system stuff!

Hopefully see you there!
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby Flabbergasted on August 9th, 2018, 4:24 pm

hoi.polloi » August 9th, 2018, 11:27 am wrote:Simon will be giving FREE presentations of the TYCHOS at two major University locations in the USA this month before heading back home to Italy.

Are you planning to film the presentations? Will the schedule include time for questions/debate after each presentation?
Flabbergasted

Postby simonshack on August 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Flabbergasted » August 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm wrote:
hoi.polloi » August 9th, 2018, 11:27 am wrote:Simon will be giving FREE presentations of the TYCHOS at two major University locations in the USA this month before heading back home to Italy.

Are you planning to film the presentations? Will the schedule include time for questions/debate after each presentation?

Dear Flabbergasted,

Yes, there'll be a Q&A after each presentation - and I certainly hope that many questions will be submitted. As for filming, we have no plans for that at the moment since there's only the two of us (Hoi and I) at both presentations and there's only so much we can do! Anyhow, we plan to put together some video material in the near future to illustrate the Tychos model's workings with sound and imagery.
simonshack
Administrator

Postby hoi.polloi on August 18th, 2018, 6:45 pm

We've concluded our presentation in Flagstaff. There were just nine attendees and there was a very mixed response. The patient listeners, the resistant, the overwhelmed, the silent, the friends and the curious. We got into some discussion with some people resistant to the information on a seemingly religious level of adherence to the mainstream and it was quite interesting. We've learned a lot about presentation!

Next time we do the presentation we plan on being a bit more reserved and I will aid Simon as the "question taker" at the end to prevent unnecessary or derailing discussions from dominating the presentation.

After the presentation we had a great meeting with user michiganj and I think we came to a lot of great discussion and understanding; since we've come to trust each other, I am giving michiganj moderator status (that he admirably doesn't even seem to really want and isn't really expected to use anyway) but which might be useful one day if Simon and I are super busy and we need someone trustworthy to glance at the state of the forum.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby michiganj on August 19th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Dear Hoi, certainly the time will come when Tychos becomes more popular and you will need to devote more of your time and energy away from the forum in support of Simon's work. Whenever needed, I will gratefully offer any help that I can.

Dear Simon, the Q&A session following your presentation proved to be quite revealing. It was exciting at first to see two NAU students stay to discuss Tychos but was quickly disappointed by their behavior. Neither one could postulate a reasonable argument against Tychos but instead, resorted to such adolescent comments like "this is shit!" and "you are so fucking wrong!". It is disheartening to learn that this is what we can expect from today's college graduates.

Hopefully you will have better success in Minnesota.

A good friend once told me to remember these words;

Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

Which he said translates to "Don't let the bastards wear you down".
michiganj

Postby simonshack on August 20th, 2018, 6:04 am

michiganj » August 19th, 2018, 6:22 pm wrote:A good friend once told me to remember these words;

Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

Which he said translates to "Don't let the bastards wear you down".

Thanks, michiganj - I'll surely try and remember those words. And I might add: Nil Illegitimus Carburetor! (sorry dear forum readers, only mighiganj will understand! :P )...
simonshack
Administrator

Previous

Return to THE LIVING ROOM