How to teach your children about Media Fakery

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Post Reply
Seneca
Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 pm
Contact:

How to teach your children about Media Fakery

Unread post by Seneca » Sun May 11, 2014 1:53 pm

Even before I knew media fakery was so widespread, I tried to limit my childrens exposure to the worst of media manipulation. They almost never watch the news or read newspapers. Still, through their friends, school or the entertainment industry they became familiar with many hoaxes.

Now I am starting to use this forum to educate them about media fakery, they are aged 13 and 10. I started with the nuke hoax, showing them the pictures of Hiroshima, the mushroom clouds, the Enola Gay plane. I let them make up their own mind but they saw quickly that something was wrong. I expect that children will be better at this because they are less conditioned to see what people want them to see.

The Kennedy assasination : they saw the Zapruder film was manipulated but found it hard to believe that the scenes in the car could possibly be acted.

Any suggestions what I can show them next? The Moon Hoax?

Today they found by accident this video


full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzoFXZ5pT1w

It shows not only that Belgain actors are much better than their american counterparts, but that a corporation can easily fool a crowd with a dramatic act if it benefits them. So then why couldn't the government (which is also just a corporation but that is another story)?

Simon, I recommend you contact these guys to do a commercial for this forum, if you do I would contribute some money. :D

My first mod task - title edited. - "How to learn your children etc" to "How to teach your children etc". I could have been...er, stronger :rolleyes: brianv

fbenario
Member
Posts: 2232
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: How to teach your children about Media Fakery

Unread post by fbenario » Sun May 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Seneca wrote:My first mod task - title edited. - "How to learn your children etc" to "How to teach your children etc". I could have been...er, stronger :rolleyes:
Who wrote this? Does the forum have a new moderator? Why didn't the writer correct all - or at least some - of the many misspellings, awkward sentences, missing punctuation, etc., in the original post?

brianv
Member
Posts: 3959
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: How to teach your children about Media Fakery

Unread post by brianv » Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 am

fbenario wrote:
Seneca wrote:My first mod task - title edited. - "How to learn your children etc" to "How to teach your children etc". I could have been...er, stronger :rolleyes:
Who wrote this? Does the forum have a new moderator? Why didn't the writer correct all - or at least some - of the many misspellings, awkward sentences, missing punctuation, etc., in the original post?
Oops, I didn't sign it. An ignominious start, but fixed now. Did you actually read the whole post f-ben? I didn't get past the title!

simonshack
Administrator
Posts: 6784
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: italy
Contact:

Re: How to teach your children about Media Fakery

Unread post by simonshack » Mon May 12, 2014 12:54 am

*
Thanks, Seneca.

It is truly my hope that our modern-day children are mentally better equipped to combat the scourge of fake imagery (being used on a daily basis for propaganda purposes). Too many grown-ups still think that there is "a limit" to what is possible to simulate with digital means.

Seneca
Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 pm
Contact:

Re: How to teach your children about Media Fakery

Unread post by Seneca » Mon May 12, 2014 5:47 am

brianv wrote:
fbenario wrote:
Seneca wrote:My first mod task - title edited. - "How to learn your children etc" to "How to teach your children etc". I could have been...er, stronger :rolleyes:
Who wrote this? Does the forum have a new moderator? Why didn't the writer correct all - or at least some - of the many misspellings, awkward sentences, missing punctuation, etc., in the original post?
Oops, I didn't sign it. An ignominious start, but fixed now. Did you actually read the whole post f-ben? I didn't get past the title!
:) I decided not to use the "teach" word because it reminds me too much of schooling/brainwashing. I do not tell my children what they have to think. Sorry about the many misspellings, awkward sentences, missing punctuation, etc.! You are welcome to correct them fbenario, I can not find them.

Post Reply