Propaganda Imagery

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Alfie

Propaganda Imagery

Unread post by Alfie »

I'm sorry if I've done this wrong but I'm not sure how to add images so grabbed this off the internet. Its from a genuine GCSE Sociology exam, I have the pdf file of the exam but was struggling to add the photo so as I said grabbed this off the internet.
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Re: The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

Unread post by reel.deal »

^ ^ ^ :huh: :blink: :o

holy shit !!!

plane... check.
towers... check.
hijackers' box-cutter... check.
holding-hands jumpers... wtf ?!?

:mellow:
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

The Pentagon strike is also in the soccer ball pattern.
icarusinbound

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Oh come on...the blocks spell-out 'ARMAGEDDON'...!

This is utter madness...no, this must be parody.

Convince me it's a real GCSE paper.

(ps 'N'-cube...separate, the last letter of the finality, *is* WTC7. The 'A'-cube taunts the viewer, starting off the anagram, the whole answer is so obvious it can be revealed as childs'-play ABC. Are you blocked? Tower blocked, even? Are you being toyed with by giants? Subtle this is not, when viewed with eyes that can see, rather than just blink)

ps the 'M'-cube is the exception, the cute error to falteringly neutralise the effect. So the 'M' becomes 'W', = world=mundo)
Last edited by icarusinbound on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

Alfie wrote:Image

I'm sorry if I've done this wrong but I'm not sure how to add images so grabbed this off the internet. Its from a genuine GCSE Sociology exam, I have the pdf file of the exam but was struggling to add the photo so as I said grabbed this off the internet.
Can you share the PDF file? You can put it on scribd: http://www.scribd.com/upload-document#files and then post the link here (or you can send it to me via email, my nickname at gmail.)

The Sociology paper that can be downloaded from WJEC, and that allegedly should contain this picture at page 10, contains another image instead, completely innocuous. (Although, the file is numbered "4511/01": figures that could be considered suspicious... :P )

Here's the link: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/papers/s10-4511-01.pdf
As reported here: http://thebritishresistance.co.uk/the-e ... -all-about

Anyway, this was discussed on that website apparently just a month ago. Yet they haven't noticed that the image is NOT present in the PDF file?

The point here is obviously to prove that this picture is 1) pre-9/11 and 2) it has not been altered in any way (for example adding elements such as the ball and the boxcutter or changing the letters on the blocks. I mean, kids and a boxcutter...?).

But because the original source of this appears to be lost, there is no certainty that we are not all being trolled.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, it smells of trolling. I found this image:

From: http://therapyforspeech.com/2011/08/12/ ... mmunicate/

This appears on a blog post dated back in 2011 (while the posts indicating the other variant as a 9/11 reference are dated from February 2012). The paper itself is dated june 2010. Of course it is not possible to tell which is the original image simply by this, but at least it goes to show how much unjustified credit can get unreliable/untraceable clues dropped on the internet.

Now it is even more important to see this alleged WJEC PDF file, Alfie. Not that a PDF cannot be altered too...
Alfie

Unread post by Alfie »

Hi,

I just came across a you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgc5Apu6DU from someone claiming it was his exam paper at school. I searched the welsh boarb of education and grabbed the pdf off their site. I'm not claiming anything or trolling - I just thought it might be of interest to you guys, as I hadn't seen it anywhere on your site. Its a sick image if genuine!

Just wanted to add that I have searched for the age of this image or to find an original but have had no success.
nonhocapito

Alfie wrote:Hi,

I just came across a you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgc5Apu6DU from someone claiming it was his exam paper at school. I searched the welsh boarb of education and grabbed the pdf off their site. I'm not claiming anything or trolling - I just thought it might be of interest to you guys, as I hadn't seen it anywhere on your site. Its a sick image if genuine!

Just wanted to add that I have searched for the age of this image or to find an original but have had no success.
The file on that website does NOT contain this image. So, can we see the PDF file you have?
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Replacing hijackers with a (photograph of a) fuzzy/bearded teddy or replacing the letters with a bad font doesn't really neutralize the effect of the original drawing. Are we seeing the two versions are all that different here? It's still created by someone riffing on 9/11.

And in any case, it doesn't really belong in this thread because this thread is for our propaganda - images that promote our research - not "their" propaganda. I am splitting the topic.
Alfie

Re: Propaganda Imagery

Unread post by Alfie »

I've emailed Nonhocapito this message with attached file of PDF:

Hi,

I’ve been struggling with scribd to upload, never used before– the page just goes white.
I downloaded this PDF on the 25/05/2011.
I filed it under spooky so apologies for the title!

Yours sincerely, Alfie.
Alfie

Unread post by Alfie »

I've sorted out how to upload to scribd.

The link is http://www.scribd.com/doc/86590586/Spooky

page 6 is where the picture is.
nonhocapito

hoi.polloi wrote:Replacing hijackers with a (photograph of a) fuzzy/bearded teddy or replacing the letters with a bad font doesn't really neutralize the effect of the original drawing. Are we seeing the two versions are all that different here? It's still created by someone riffing on 9/11.
The thing is that, according to my brief cursory research, the image with the fuzzy bear appears to be, possibly, the original one, and the image with the box-cutter is the "trolling" image, which in this case would have been forged to mess with conspiracy theorists.

Besides, there is no way to date this image to pre-9/11. And if it is post-9/11, the possibility of it to be the result of trolling becomes much more likely.

Alfie: I have received your file, thanks. Here are the two pages:

From the file that can be downloaded from wjec:

From the file in possession of Alfie:

And once again, here is the variant that can be found around the internet (notice how it is sharper and smaller. I think the one with the box-cutter has been enlarged and altered from this one):

I might be wrong, but I tend to believe the variant to be the "original", if only because it is hard to imagine that a drawing featuring kids and a box-cutter drawn open could really pass, 9/11 reference or not.
As to the image present in the pdf file now: it is hard to believe that that picture, ugly as it is, could come "from toy advertising". So maybe they did replace the picture in the file to quell the rumors.
It is not a very interesting story anyway. :)
Alfie

Unread post by Alfie »

All i can say is that image is a different image to the one I saw last year.

Plus they didn't change the title number
New GCSE
4511/01SOCIOLOGY

9 11 01
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

According to the context of the picture, that is, the question(s) that are pertaining to the picture, I would venture that "the girl with the doll and the boy with the ball" is the one that belongs to the test. It's an easy test, and that picture fits with the nature of that test, as the stereotypes are more stereotypical.
Alfie

Unread post by Alfie »

HonestlyNow wrote:According to the context of the picture, that is, the question(s) that are pertaining to the picture, I would venture that "the girl with the doll and the boy with the ball" is the one that belongs to the test. It's an easy test, and that picture fits with the nature of that test, as the stereotypes are more stereotypical.
I have to agree HonestlyNow, are they really trying to freak my mind so much that they would change a schoolboy exam paper or is this a childish prank. I lean toward childish prank.
pshea38
Banned

Unread post by pshea38 »

This is discussed in detail Here.
Some interesting interpretations are put forward in the thread.
It turns out that the original artwork (box cutter version) was published in October 2001
and is the handiwork of one Ben Frost.
http://benfrostisdead.com/