Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
icarusinbound

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE ISS

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Flabbergasted wrote:Twenty-five minute tour of the ISS:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doN4t5NKW-k
I wonder what they put in the lady´s hair...
I'm trying to make sense of what should be two moving points (the subject being filmed, and the camera), both relative to a fixed reference (the 'interior' of the ISS).

To me, there's insufficient change in the separation between the camera, and the ISS walls/surfaces. The pseudo-random drifting of the she-naut film subject should be getting emulated by the camera operator, but it's not: at least not sufficiently. There's a feeling of framing and centering of the POV as depicted that just isn't properly consistent with someone filming this with a hand-held camera.

Please comment on this point

Also, still focusing upon the point behind the POV: how the hell would this physically work? The cameraman appears to move like a sperm tadpole. How does he manage to initiate a movement? And how does he stop?? Why don't we see a sudden lateral jerk in the framed image when he starts chases the subject? Suppose he pushes himself by his feet: that would duck the axis of shot up/downwards, which would then be over-corrected for, then damped back to straight-on. This does not occur. Similarly, if he's using one hand to pull/anchor, how can he visually relate to those contact random points...whilst constantly framing his subject with such accuracy?

And...how does he manage to zoom, like Superman crossed with a torpedo, with his neck anatomically bent backwards by under 90degrees (even with mitigation from a pivoted viewfinder). Never colliding with the sides at all. Even down at the insane tight-spot down at the re-entry module.

Note the classic ISS dissolve edits...

There's also a point in the movie when the camera appears to zoom-in, towards the 'Mission Badges', where she does a little show-and-tell, but I'm feeling that the continuity forgets that it's a zoom, and thinks it's a close-in of the whole POV...or is it vice-versa?

My theory regarding the apparent inequality between the random physical seperations (she-naut and camera, versus ISS walls/bulkheads) could be measured. By applying dot-plots, the average lateral clearances should be roughly the same. Two peas falling down the same pipe (and how does that 'falling' work??)

Please consider the above points...if I'm on a trivial pursuit, and this isn't artificial imagery, tell me where my instincts are going wrong.
elmoastro

Unread post by elmoastro »

lux wrote:A smart 6th grade kid asks this ISS astro-not about space debris @ 18:00

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qw0ykbOt6I

He explains that the Earth is hit by 100 tons per day of meteors and other debris and that he once saw a meteor burn up in the Earth's atmosphere "below him" and it gave him a "spooky feeling because that meteor could have hit us."

But, then he switches gears and says no worries because "space is big" and "we get peppered all the time by tiny bits and, uh, the space station is a good ship -- a good, strong ship and , uh -- so far, so good." :blink:
Watch the watch.

The watch is being used much like the water bubbles on previous vids. He starts off wearing the watch face on the inside of the wrist--common for pilots, engineers, etc. But it's so loose as to float up and down around the wrist. Pretty irritating after awhile for anyone who wears a watch, having to constantly readjust such a loose fitting watch... It has to be 2-3 links too many for any normal fit. Same fluid motion as the water bubbles.
icarusinbound

The watch is utterly ridiculous. It deserves it's very-own channel on YouTube...but talking of watches...Youtube.

I haven't checked to see whether the time-piece is quite so...animated, in these many-other variations (the rule is, by the way, always khaki chinos, but never wear the same top twice...or is it? Bottom-left vs Top-right?).

So are the backgrounds changing too much?? Or is that just standard life on ISS? Make videos of floating about, and then remove/replace bulkhead fitments?

ps fire extinguishers. "One of our biggest fears in space is fire". Fire extinguishers? No, I can't see any, anywhere, either. Oh...or panic alarm buttons. Or communicator/PA access buttons...
elmoastro

icarusinbound wrote:The watch is utterly ridiculous. It deserves it's very-own channel on YouTube...but talking of watches...Youtube.

I haven't checked to see whether the time-piece is quite so...animated, in these many-other variations (the rule is, by the way, always khaki chinos, but never wear the same top twice...or is it? Bottom-left vs Top-right?).

So are the backgrounds changing too much?? Or is that just standard life on ISS? Make videos of floating about, and then remove/replace bulkhead fitments?

ps fire extinguishers. "One of our biggest fears in space is fire". Fire extinguishers? No, I can't see any, anywhere, either. Oh...or panic alarm buttons. Or communicator/PA access buttons...
Add the Cady Coleman vid to these for comparison. She says she's in the Japanese section. It's clearly the same section except for similar changes to the 4-pic comparison above. Also, what's with the lions? First Cady brings out her stuffed animal lion and now we have Eddy the Lion.
elmoastro

Here's Kibo (the Japanese section) from Wiki:
icarusinbound

elmoastro wrote:Also, what's with the lions? First Cady brings out her stuffed animal lion and now we have Eddy the Lion.
It's some kind of mission-branding office gestalt http://newstechnolgy.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... n.html?m=1...helps make the entire story more consumer-friendly.

Why do ISS-nots throw water+food all over the place? And have insane hair with no nets? The chances of breathing-in airborne particulate up there must be very high. And yet no wall-mounted vacuum cleaners running/referenced.

A sudden thought- interior lighting. The place is very-evenly lit. By what, from where? You should see some bright-upped spots, but no. The internal 'camcorders' don't appear to have fill-lights on them. And the shadows generally are...not? So, what goes on? I mean, what's the official story here.

Please comment on my earlier observation (movement vs interior)
Sisterlover

Unread post by Sisterlover »

elmoastro wrote:Here's Kibo (the Japanese section) from Wiki:
elmoastro wrote: Image
40' shipping container
Sisterlover

icarusinbound wrote:
elmoastro wrote:Also, what's with the lions? First Cady brings out her stuffed animal lion and now we have Eddy the Lion.
It's some kind of mission-branding office gestalt http://newstechnolgy.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... n.html?m=1...helps make the entire story more consumer-friendly.

Why do ISS-nots throw water+food all over the place? And have insane hair with no nets? The chances of breathing-in airborne particulate up there must be very high. And yet no wall-mounted vacuum cleaners running/referenced.

A sudden thought- interior lighting. The place is very-evenly lit. By what, from where? You should see some bright-upped spots, but no. The internal 'camcorders' don't appear to have fill-lights on them. And the shadows generally are...not? So, what goes on? I mean, what's the official story here.

Please comment on my earlier observation (movement vs interior)
This is completely astute. Food, hair-nets, vacuum, lighting. It's the quadrivium of ISS erudition.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Sisterlover wrote:It's the quadrivium of ISS erudition.
What? :wacko:
Sisterlover

Yeah, I really gotta stop posting while drunk. Apologies....
lux

Unread post by lux »

The Russian "meteorite" has prompted this redux of ISS astro-not Chris Hadfield's "scary story" about watching a meteorite burn up below him:

http://news.sky.com/story/1053582/astro ... ion-moment
"I watched a large meteorite burn up between me and Australia. To think of that hypersonic dumb lump of rock randomly hurtling into us instead sent a shiver up my back."
Though, again, the story givers no information on how the ISS protects itself from such things.
elmoastro

Speaking of utterly ridiculous...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvzV8I5AZI
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Sisterlover wrote:Yeah, I really gotta stop posting while drunk. Apologies....
But 'the quadrivium of ISS erudition' is very good.
What do you drink?
Cheers!
Sisterlover

Har! Feelin' a little fuzzy today. I think it was called "Purple Jesus Punch".

In retrospect, I think I was implying that the poster really summed up the ISS fakery study with those four points. Instead, I sounded like a pompous knob. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I love this place.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Sisterlover wrote:Har! Feelin' a little fuzzy today. I think it was called "Purple Jesus Punch".

In retrospect, I think I was implying that the poster really summed up the ISS fakery study with those four points. Instead, I sounded like a pompous knob. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I love this place.
I love this place too! ^_^
And I love pompous knobs - but as hard as I try, I just can't seem to keep up with their wit! :P