MARS & the Curiosity Rover - NASA's latest hoax

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
brianv

Re: MARS & the Curiosity Rover - NASA's latest hoax

Unread post by brianv »

That's because Indian rockets are powered by opium whereas Russian rockets are powered by clean burning vodka.
No wonder the russian dipshit is smiling.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

We are of course curious how (i) the space ship navigates large distances with such accuracy between Earth and Mars and (ii) how the US mission controllers, the remote space ship pilots, like drone pilots bombing villages in Afghanistan know in what direction to start and when they've reached the target, e.g. Planet Mars.

Jeremy Jones, chief of the navigation team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, [url]http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... navig/[url] offers this amazing explanation:

Space navigation is extremely simple! The accurate navigation of space ships depends only on four factors:

First is the measurement system for determining the positions of the space ship relative to the center of mass of the solar system. Differences in positions give speed and heading.

Second is the location from which the measurements are taken, i.e. the center of mass of the solar system.

Third is an accurate model of the solar system.

Fourth and last are models of the motion of the space ship.

1. The measurement system

For all U.S. interplanetary space ship trips, the antennas of the Deep Space Network (DSN) on the rotating Earth orbiting the Sun act as the measurement system. These antennas transmit radio signals to the space ship, which receives these signals and, with a slight frequency shift, returns them to the ground station. It may take 20-30 minutes for a signal to go to and back from the space ship to Earth when close to Mars. By computing the difference between the transmitted and received signals, the space ship’s distance and speed along the line from the antenna can be determined with great accuracy, thanks to the high frequency of the signals and a very accurate atomic clock by which to measure the small frequency changes. By combining these elements, navigators can measure a probe's instantaneous line-of-sight velocity and range to an accuracy of 0.05 millimeter-per-second and three meters respectively, relative to the antenna. Evidently the antenna must be on the side of Earth facing the space ship when the signal is sent. That's why DSN has antennas all over the Earth.

Many space ships also carry cameras that are used to image the destination, whether it be a moon, planet or other body. During the final approach, these images are used when the distance becomes small. The images complement the radio data and provide a direct tie to the target.

2. Location from which the measurements are taken – the center of mass of the solar system

Calculation of the trajectory of a space ship requires the use of an inertial coordinate system as well, wherein a grid is laid over the solar system and fixed relative to the star background.

For interplanetary missions, an inertial coordinate system with an origin at the center of mass of the solar system is used. Because the measurements provide information on the position of a space ship relative to the antenna on the rotating Earth orbiting the Sun, knowledge of the antennas’ locations relative to this inertial coordinate system is used to convert the measurements into elements in the system. Where the antennas are depends not only on its geographic location on Earth's surface, but on Earth's position relative to the solar system center of mass (known as the Earth ephemeris). Measurements of this ephemeris have an accuracy of about 0.5 kilometer and the location of the antenna is known to an accuracy of better than five centimeters.

3. An accurate model of the solar system

The third component of interplanetary navigation is an accurate model of the solar system. Gravity is the most important force acting on a spacecraft. Determining these gravitational forces requires accurate knowledge of the locations of all of the mass objects in the solar system, such as the sun and all the planets, over the course of time. This information is provided by the planetary ephemeris, which has been in continuous development since the beginning of the interplanetary space program. Thanks to this longstanding work, the location of, e.g. Mars is known to an accuracy of a few hundreds of kilometers previous to any space ship’s final approach, when it deploys its camera.

4. Models of the motion of the space ship

The final component of accurate navigation takes all of these other elements and, using models of the forces acting on the space ship and orbital dynamics, estimates its location. By taking regular measurements over a period of time, a space ship's position, heading and velocity can be determined. For example going to Mars, the space ship's location is typically determined to a kilometer or less relative to Mars. Using a probe's known position, heading and velocity, its future positions can be worked out. Navigators compare these positions to the predicted location of the target body - based on the ephemeris - to determine, when the space ship will reach its target.

Then, all that's left to do is to collect the data, take a deep breath, and go on to the next position of your flight until you land ... according to Jeremy Jones. You just have to know where the moving center of mass of the solar system is all the time relative to your antennas on the rotating Earth orbiting the Sun and your space ship trying to land on planet Mars. Simple! :lol: :rolleyes: :P

If your space ship is heading in the wrong direction, you simply fire a rocket in the right direction to change heading. At arrival you evidently have to slow down or speed up to the same velocity of the target, i.e. planet Mars, so bring plenty fuel or a parachute to accomplish that. It really is very simple. Any fool at JPL can do it.

Do not forget though that planet Mars gravity attracts you with a g-force about 0.38 that of planet Earth or 3.71 m/s². The last 100 meters above planet Mars you have to be careful - if you drop straight down from there, then you will crash!

It should be added that planet Mars orbits the center of the mass of our solar system (i.e. the Sun) at average 24 077 m/s tangential velocity, so any space ship arriving radially from planet Earth planning to land on Mars must adjust accordingly, i.e. radial velocity must be 0 (if not you will continue into space or crash) and tangential velocity must be ... guess? ... yes 24 077 m/s relative the center of the mass of our solar system . Your velocity relative planet Mars must of course be 0! Do not mix them up! Remember also that your position must be that of planet Mars ... that changes all the time, e.g. 24 077 meters every second ... relative the center of the mass of our solar system - tangentially of course. Luckily planet Mars stays at same radial distance from the center of the mass of our solar system most of the time. It is simple :rolleyes:
Last edited by Heiwa on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

^^^ It's really sad that so many otherwise rational people accept the truthfulness of such NASA hooey, without ever considering that it's all fiction intended to manipulate them.
lux

Unread post by lux »

NASA launches its Maven rocket "beginning a 10-month journey to Mars" on Nov 18th:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz7Iue_J0YA

At about 0:56 the narrator says it's now going at over 1,000 mph (it sure doesn't look it).

Then at 1:25 he says, "... we are now passed through the sound barrier. It is now supersonic."

So, back when it was going 1,000 mph it wasn't supersonic? :blink:

Then at about 1:50 it looks like it's going horizontally or even downward.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:NASA launches its Maven rocket "beginning a 10-month journey to Mars" on Nov 18th:
The silliest part of this video is its audio track - with that rocket sounding louder and louder the further it climbs... :rolleyes:
lux

Unread post by lux »

Good catch, Simon, I missed that.

There was also no sonic boom when it "went supersonic." But then there never is with these launches.
sceppy

Unread post by sceppy »

lux wrote:NASA launches its Maven rocket "beginning a 10-month journey to Mars" on Nov 18th:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz7Iue_J0YA

At about 0:56 the narrator says it's now going at over 1,000 mph (it sure doesn't look it).

Then at 1:25 he says, "... we are now passed through the sound barrier. It is now supersonic."

So, back when it was going 1,000 mph it wasn't supersonic? :blink:

Then at about 1:50 it looks like it's going horizontally or even downward.
Which camera is ahead of the rocket from the 2 minute mark?
Did they send up a man with a camera and rocket back pack or something?
It still has the same slow lift off as the rest of the so called space launch videos. Anyone should realise that this would be impossible.
These rockets lift off so vertically true, it beggars belief. :rolleyes:
Does anyone notice how the rocket gives of the appearance of looking like a mechanical Ku Klux Klan effigy. :unsure:
No wonder N.A.S.A has shut down it's rocket shenanigans. They must be bored of the basic run of the mill launches, so they allow the other nations to carry it on for them, whilst they serve us up some other amazement that I'm sure they have up their sleeves.
I'm waiting for the old Armageddon scenario, or something along those lines to come out with N.A.S.A.
Seriously, I can see a save the world carry on coming, where the curiosity rover or some other distant craft, like the amazing voyager, billions of miles into space, or as we are led to believe, loitering just outside of our so called solar system, that will have been tracking some kind of killer asteroid, but N.A.S.A has already built the space craft to intercept it and we will all get to see it on TEE VEE, wahoo.
All we have to do from that point on, is, sit there with gut aches, whilst buzz yesteryear and crew go up and drop a super self drilling nuke onto it that will blast it apart , sending it into oblivion.
They will probably send up two of these craft, or maybe 3 or 4 . You know, have a few large nations in on it so they can all take the credit for all having a go, yet we lose 3 of the 4, or something like that, but the N.A.S.A super space craft wins.
It will most probably have a name like SAVIOUR or something.
I better stop here, I'm going into full on story telling mode. :D
Every rocket I've see, whether it's a true vertical lift off, or from the back of a launch vehicle, or whatever, lifts off as if it's on a spring, which fits well when you consider it uses the sea level air pressure density, plus solid ground as it's push on push force.

Oh, one more thing. Those rocket noises remind me of heavy rain fall on canvas. It sounds like there's sound equipment inside a canvas tent and someone is pouring water on to it. It also sounds like water droplets on drums at times, too.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icTUUgXbgI

I'd be more inclined to believe that the Thunderbird , Tracy island rocket lift off's if I have to accept the official launches of these jalopy models and CGI.
Anyway, I'm going to sit back and relax and wait for Taiwan to get among it all and maybe launch one of their rockets from a box off of a supermarket shelf, operated by bloody Woody and Mr potato head in borrowed buzz light year suits. :D
I kid you not, I'm expecting an Indian space walk really soon, in full space suit and frigging sandals, complete with realistic swollen feet for all those conspiracy theorists who thought they could nit pick. :D
simonshack
Administrator

sceppy wrote: Oh, one more thing. Those rocket noises remind me of heavy rain fall on canvas. It sounds like there's sound equipment inside a canvas tent and someone is pouring water on to it. It also sounds like water droplets on drums at times, too.
I always thought these "rocket launch" sounds were made by sticking a mike into a flaming popcorn kettle - but your take is as good as mine - or better (perhaps no corn gets hurt in the making of these corny soundtracks) ! :P
arc300

Unread post by arc300 »

sceppy wrote:Which camera is ahead of the rocket from the 2 minute mark?
It's a computer graphic, you can see detail being added to the lower river at about 1.57 in the same way detail is added to scenery in my XBox games. Also the lack of clouds don't match the *cough* "live" shots, which show plenty of cloud. However, the words in the upper right: "STATUS: LIVE FILM DATA" are deliberately misleading.
CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu »

sceppy wrote:Which camera is ahead of the rocket from the 2 minute mark?
I find you are being deliberately sarcastic in this remark. It's quite pathetic.
Utah

Unread post by Utah »

This clip is condensed from the IMAX movie "Roving Mars" from 2006. Of course, nobody is saying this is anything but a CGI PR piece, but I still found it rather amusing.
This moronic crap gets people to buy in to the Mars fantasy? The NASA clowns celebrating at the end is priceless.
Note that the clearly CGI launch in the beginning looks very similar to the 'real' ones we have seen.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCIzZHpFtY
Reading the comments, I'd say people are eager to believe and easily impressed.
lux

Unread post by lux »

According to this site the closest Mars could be to Earth is about 34 million miles.

According to this calculator it would take about 3 minutes for radio signals to reach Earth from Mars at that distance.

Keep that in mind while watching the sequence at the end of the video that shows NASA tech people supposedly monitoring the landing of their space ship on Mars.

:lol:
simonshack
Administrator

lux wrote:According to this site the closest Mars could be to Earth is about 34 million miles.

According to this calculator it would take about 3 minutes for radio signals to reach Earth from Mars at that distance.

Keep that in mind while watching the sequence at the end of the video that shows NASA tech people supposedly monitoring the landing of their space ship on Mars.

:lol:
But...but... at 1:50 into the above 'video', the NASA guy says:

"We just place the spacecraft on a trajectory to Mars and let it coast for 7 months - and 300 million miles - until it reaches the planet."

Woah - those idiots don't even know that Mars passes almost ten times as close to the Earth !!! For instance, in August 2003 - Mars passed at only 34.6 million miles from Earth: http://cseligman.com/text/planets/marsoppositions.htm

Good grief. And what's the deal with those bouncing, inflatable landing balls, now? There truly is no end to their BS.
And then WE get called 'kooks' for not buying it ! :rolleyes:
AirplaneJoe
Banned

Unread post by AirplaneJoe »

Animal found on the Mars? On an official NASA picture you can see kind of an animal, looks like a squirrel , lizard or something. Sure does looks like a strange rock to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7edICir6c4
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/m ... 16204.html
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/det ... d=PIA16204

http://strangetrek.com/squirrel-on-mars-nope/
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ Conspiracy candy. Contrived to misdirect attention from the utter fake Mars Curiosity Rover mission.