Satellites : general discussion and musings

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
HonestlyNow

Re: Satellites : general discussion and musings

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

AirplaneJoe wrote:And again, just do the test with your iphone. Turn the map on. Inside the house it will not work, outside with line of sight you will have a direct link to the satellite, therefore you will get the position.
I'm one year new with owning a smartphone (Android). I'm inside my house, with 'Wi-Fi' and 'GPS' off, and the map gets lost as far as my location. With 'GPS' switched on, location is found, inside my house.
AirplaneJoe
Banned

Unread post by AirplaneJoe »

Depends on our house, if it's a wooden ceiling and large windows it still might work. Try to go under a bridge or a large building like a mall, you will not get any GPS.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

AirplaneJoe wrote:Fair enough, I agree it would be interesting to know more. For example someone mentioned, how does the satellite come out of the rocket and intalls its solar panels etc. All interesting stuff, maybe we have once a satellite engineer or rocket scientist explaining this.
I still think a lot of it secret because it is also for military use. (conspiracy theory)

Everyone can ask a question and I am sure there is an answer for it. I am no rocket engineer and I cannot answer brianav's question regarding the call signs of the satellite. Hmm, your orbit is decaying Joe.

The communication satellites have however names:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ite_firsts

The ISS is not a satellite, and again I am not sure this thing exists. Interesting subject.

Have I seen satellites. I think I did, by that I mean I saw fast moving objects in the sky, I don't think it was a UFO.
How do you justify these thought processes Joe?

I thought I saw a headless-nun in a field when I was a boy, turned out to be a cow!

Please do not bring what I have struck out to the table - or it will be moved to the derailing room! You believe in those things also? :rolleyes:
Couldn't your "fast moving objects" have been aircraft since "low-orbit satellites" move at the same speed? Please keep on topic!
AirplaneJoe
Banned

No cannot be airplanes, since they were above my cruising altitude of 40'000ft and had no rotating beacon (don't you love that) and moved faster than an airplane. There is even a app were you can locate these satellites, I never used it but with that you could probably track a satellite.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

AirplaneJoe wrote:No cannot be airplanes, since they were above my cruising altitude of 40'000ft and had no rotating beacon (don't you love that) and moved faster than an airplane. There is even a app were you can locate these satellites, I never used it but with that you could probably track a satellite.
I don't want to know about fucking apps! You are very selective with your answers!

You are a pilot - you regularly fly at 40,000 ft and you think you saw a satellite once! :unsure:
AirplaneJoe
Banned

I did not say once, I saw several times objects, that obviously are not airplanes or meteorits flying in high altitudes. I even saw them from the ground on a clear night. I am sure you saw them during your nightly walks.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

AirplaneJoe wrote:I did not say once, I saw several times objects, that obviously are not airplanes or meteorits flying in high altitudes. I even saw them from the ground on a clear night. I am sure you saw them during your nightly walks.
Please use your spell checker! And please don't put words in my mouth - I have never seen anything. If NASA wanted the world to see their amazing scientific efforts they should put ID lights on the stupid things. Fuck. If there were Satellites, and knowing the USA, we would be looking at fucking flying Coke adverts every night.
arc300

Unread post by arc300 »

[quote="brianv"][quote="AirplaneJoe"]
I still think a lot of it secret because it is also for military use. (conspiracy theory)quote]

BrianV is right that the secret military thing is a conspiracy theory, and could probably fill an entire thread. Using the "secret military" schtick is merely replacing one highly questionable unknown for another.
Farcevalue

Unread post by Farcevalue »

Maybe we should have another look at real-time GPS in remote locations:

http://www.tracking-system.com/news/3-t ... reas-.html

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/vessel_tracking.php

I read another article a while back with other explanations about how ships in remote areas could only us delayed GPS by receiving their coordinates via email. Evidently, cell towers are critical to having real time access to the 3300, 4700, 2700 or insert masonic number of choice whirling around overhead.

I also read another article not long ago which explained how the GPS satellites were using PIV chips and an XP platform or some such, in spite of a billion new cell phones being activated since they were launched with that antiquated technology

I should have clipped these articles as the search terms (on Google anyway) are not yielding the resultant articles referenced.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

AirplaneJoe wrote:I did not say once, I saw several times objects, that obviously are not airplanes or meteorits flying in high altitudes. I even saw them from the ground on a clear night. I am sure you saw them during your nightly walks.
"Meteorits?" Oh dear...

These are Near-Earth asteroids, Airplane Joe. They have existed ever since the dawn of times - there are tens of thousands of them, and I very clearly remember spotting those 'moving stars' with my bare eyes (every ten minutes or so - flying by in all directions) in the Norwegian skies as a kid - and so did my father, back in the late 1940's - when NO man-made satellites were supposed to be up there.

Can we PLEASE all start acknowledging the existence of Near-Earth asteroids - for the sake of intelligent debate? PLEASE ?

Hey, even NASA :P acknowledges their existence :
"More than 10,000 asteroids and comets that can pass near Earth have now been discovered.
(...)
Finding 10,000 near-Earth objects is a significant milestone," said Lindley Johnson, program executive for NASA's Near-Earth Object Observations Program at NASA Headquarters, Washington. "But there are at least 10 times that many more to be found before we can be assured we will have found any and all that could impact and do significant harm to the citizens of Earth."
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-207
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

AirplaneJoe wrote:[...] There is even a app were you can locate these satellites, I never used it but with that you could probably track a satellite.

[...] I did not say once, I saw several times objects, that obviously are not airplanes or meteorits flying in high altitudes. I even saw them from the ground on a clear night. I am sure you saw them during your nightly walks.
It´s not nice to judge people by their style, but let´s just say I find it hard to believe you are a professional pilot.
If I didn´t know any better :unsure: I´d say you are not a day over 19.
AirplaneJoe
Banned

To brianv

Just did a little research, and of course there is a call sign for each satellite. So for example the satellite I mostly use Hotbird 6 has the ID 2008-065A, geostationary 13E, Frequency 10971 Mhz.

And here you can track the satellites:
http://www.n2yo.com/?s=33459

The International Designator, also known as COSPAR designation, and in the United States as NSSDC ID, is an international naming convention for satellites. It consists of the launch year, a 3-digit incrementing launch number of that year and up to a 3-letter code representing the sequential identifier of a piece in a launch.[citation needed]

For example 1990-037B, the Hubble Space Telescope, was the 37th known successful launch world wide in 1990. 1990-037A is the Space Shuttle Discovery on mission STS-31, which was to carry the Hubble telescope into space. The number reveals that it was launched in 1990 and that it was the 37th launch made that year. Spacecraft which do not complete an orbit of the Earth, for example launches which fail to achieve orbit, are not usually assigned IDs.[citation needed]

The designation system has been generally known as the COSPAR system, named for the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) of the International Council for Science.[citation needed] COSPAR subsumed the first designation system, devised at Harvard University in 1958. That system used letters of the Greek alphabet to designate artificial satellites. For example, Sputnik 1 was designated 1957 Alpha 2. The Harvard designation system continued to be used for satellites launched up to the end of 1962, when it was replaced with the modern system. The first satellite to receive a new-format designator was Luna E-6 No.2, 1963-001B, although some sources, including the NSSDC website, anachronistically apply the new-format designators to older satellites, even those no longer in orbit at the time of its introduction.

The catalog is administered in the United States by the National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC), part of NASA.[citation needed]

EUTE HOT BIRD 13C (HB 9) can be found in the following categories:
Geostationary
TV
NORAD ID: 33459
Int'l Code: 2008-065A
Perigee: 35,781.8 km
Apogee: 35,804.9 km
Inclination: 0.0 °
Period: 1,436.1 minutes
Semi major axis: 42164 km
Launch date: December 20, 2008
Source: European Telecommunications Satellite Organization (EUTE)
Comments: HOT BIRD 9 will help further advance the development of digital and high-definition TV. As is the case of all Eutelsat's broadcasting satellites, viewers will be able to watch the HOT BIRD 9 TV channels via a simple receive-only dish. The satellite will also deliver channels to cable and DTT networks, and the add-on TV coverage needed for triple-play offers.

Terms of Use

Map
Satellite
EUTE HOT BIRD 13C (HB 9)
LAT: 0.03
LNG: 13.00
ALT: 35797.23 ↑
SPD: 0.00

Two Line Element Set (TLE):

1 33459U 08065A 14315.12770257 .00000076 00000-0 00000+0 0 2195
2 33459 000.0491 032.0747 0002741 193.8600 243.2412 01.00273103 21776

Source: AFSPC
NASA's NSSDC Master Catalog entry for EUTE HOT BIRD 13C (HB 9)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

"Airplane Joe" is an obvious spam bot - or whatever you wanna call it. [citation needed :P ]

Can we all agree about this?

Will anyone complain if I jettison this turd out of our forum (spaceship) ?
AirplaneJoe
Banned

brianv wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign

Why don't satellites have or broadcast a call sign Joe? Let me guess - it would be a waste of power?

If I were a designer I would make sure that the satellite had no means of visual or radio identification!
The call sign of the International Space Station was Alpha, now Station.[citation needed]
:blink:
Hi Simon
I just answered a question to brianv, why is that spam? I am quite disappointed about the style used in this forum. I thought this is a discussion about satellites, however if someone does not agree one is called a turd or spammer.
A shame since I really liked the information provided here especially regarding 911. :angry: