THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
hoi.polloi

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

MrSinclair wrote:Hoi, I think it has much to do with the erosion and elimination of unstructured playtime for children. This is one of the most critical components of development replaced with smothering, hovering, controlling, structuring and all the other shit parents do too much of.
This coupled with all that goes on in the schools has led towards a high degree of entrained helplessness amongst the youth. For example they find it almost impossible in many cases to communicate with adults who occupy no clear position of authority, relation, job function etc.If everything is a potential crisis and every crisis has a manager that amounts to emotions being put on cue and controlled much like one would do with a dog.
If all the teens who watched Loose Change would wake up and migrate over to here that would be a step in the right direction.
But that's just it. Have you been to a school recently? Or around kids? While the phenomenon you describe is undoubtedly happening, I know teachers and I know what they encounter and what they have to deal with to sequester children in any given setting. Children are rambunctious and crazy. Violence both physical and emotional are inflicted on them to make them conform. But there is not a flicker of a sign of that reality in these mainstream news articles. They aren't born perfect little automatons like we adults are trained to be over long periods of systemic oppression from the system. They erase childhood from the news.

The authoritarian kind of stern British-style disciplinary smothering and so forth doesn't seem to turn off the rebellion of any classes I'm familiar with. This isn't college where everyone is stuck to their desk out of sheer terror of a financial abyss. The point is this subject isn't even one in the news stories about these events. It's just "tragedy, crying, okay, story's done, we're gone" ... Are all these boarding schools? Charter Catholic schools? Why focus on the children if you aren't going to give them a voice other than what has been sanctioned? It defeats the point that the children are sad because it's clear in every one of these farces that they are only sad and supportive of the security initiative because that is the only emotion and response allowed to them by the media.

It's bad enough we don't see a variety of thoughts from adults in these so-called "historic events"; but to get none from uninhibited children is just plain dumb and unrealistic. In fact, there are just as many wild opinions about it as there are parenting styles — to the nth degree, and that's just what is lacking. IMO.

But I suppose if you really think about it, journalism has always lacked variety because of its delusional quest for a scientifically and socially neutral position.
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

Well I would agree Hoi that children are being robbed of their youth in any number of ways, many seemingly well intentioned. This whole thing of parents wanting to be buddies with their kids doesn't leave much space for example. Someone with a fucking agenda always seems to be pestering the kids even if its to have fun There is a tyranny with a happy face to this incessant participation in kids lives.
I am so glad to have grown up at a time when intelligent, non violent and very difficult kids like myself were more shunned and left alone instead of being medicated and coerced into joining "the group" and its miserably tedious and pointless activities.
It seems clear that those drawn into that happy , normal , middle will never question authority, never look outside the box, never do things their own way. The schools teach at such an interminably slow pace that it is sheer torture for any naturally inquisitive young mind. If I'm nostalgic about anything of the 50's/60's, aside from the music, it is the ease with which one could be alone and/or left alone. The last thing you really find in this age of diversity is diversity.
hoi.polloi

I am so glad to have grown up at a time when intelligent, non violent and very difficult kids like myself were more shunned and left alone instead of being medicated and coerced into joining "the group" and its miserably tedious and pointless activities.
I would bet some of the most "successful" people in our society were some of those difficult kids — combined with some combination of plain luck of being born into the "right" class/circle.

I envy that aspect of the time you describe, maybe because I got just a taste of it before the Columbine nonsense started. Thankfully, even after, some smart (and brave) kids figured out how to kick the magnetic door locks until they broke, saving everyone from thinking the mechanisms had a purpose besides just treating human beings worse than some farmed cattle.

The whole post-psychoanalysis 80's and 90's generations and every one hence seems to be prescribed into a normalcy of self-suppression because we can't get a clue that our society makes people stressed the fuck out just to stay afloat.
The last thing you really find in this age of diversity is diversity.
Right, like, Everyone's different ... as long as it's in socially acceptable manifestations. :P
MrSinclair

In the 60's when I was in school you would see no men for the most part until 5PM or so when they began returning home from work. Virtually full employment for all males. And most women were at home but the kids were off doing their own thing after school with almost no adult participation.

I got lied to about something important to me by my school at age 11 and that was a radicalizing moment for me. I decided I no longer wanted to someday live in Washington DC and work for the government. I decided I hated the Vietnam war (this was around 1966). I never trusted authority again and moved to the Haight Ashbury shortly after high school. For me it was the American dream...

Relevant to these musings is this new article from TIME, which, assuming it is true, claims that teens are under more stress than adults these days. What a horrific commentary on the world. I believe it is likely true and by design

http://time.com/3774596/american-teens-emotions/
Undoctored

Unread post by Undoctored »

MrSinclair wrote: Relevant to these musings is this new article from TIME, which, assuming it is true, claims that teens are under more stress than adults these days. What a horrific commentary on the world. I believe it is likely true and by design

http://time.com/3774596/american-teens-emotions/
Here's a notable local (for me) psy-op subplot that has gone national: Palo Alto High School Suicides. Hard for me to tell how much is spin and how much is outright fakery. What is clear is there is a national movement to get the government more involved in children's personal lives under the pretext of saving them from suicide.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_KQHVJ4tgo

http://peninsulapress.com/2014/12/19/pa ... fe-debate/
... the school now has a suicide prevention tool kit that trains teachers and staff to recognize kids who may be depressed and have suicidal thoughts.

Following this fall’s suicides, the district is expediting construction of a student wellness center at Gunn High School that will be a “full service” center for physical, emotional, social, psychological and even spiritual health.

Students will be able to talk to counselors, mental health professionals and nutritionists to decompress. They will also be able to take part in yoga and meditation exercises. The district eventually hopes to have a center at Palo Alto High School and the middle schools as well.
Since the time that article was written (last December) there's been another high school suicide incident (this March):

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2015 ... ill-avenue

The obvious answer? Get out of school! Of course home schooling is growing and a threat to the educational establishment. So this campaign must also block that threat. Don't worry, they've got their bases covered. Enter the controlled opposition. Here's an article that was referenced in a local tabloid Daily Post (padailypost.com) by Ariel Gore, published in Psychology Today. She says "drop out" of high school. Which is actually a great idea. Better associate it with nihilism and risky behavior though, just like the hippies did with the anti-war movement.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wo ... -the-train
After I left Paly, I traveled the world, working odd jobs and smoking weed and squatting abandoned buildings. Sure, I met a few sexual predators and mean girls outside of Palo Alto, but not very many.
MrSinclair

They are really putting a spin on the bullying which is alleged to be responsible for most of the suicides. They would have us believe that the preponderance of bullying is in regards to sexual orientation when this is not so. What has always been the biggest incitement to bullying is being overweight yet this is never mentioned.
CTGal1011

Unread post by CTGal1011 »

hoi.polloi wrote:
It's bad enough we don't see a variety of thoughts from adults in these so-called "historic events"; but to get none from uninhibited children is just plain dumb and unrealistic. In fact, there are just as many wild opinions about it as there are parenting styles — to the nth degree, and that's just what is lacking. IMO.

But I suppose if you really think about it, journalism has always lacked variety because of its delusional quest for a scientifically and socially neutral position.

Bingo! Thinking back to the entire NASA bs, a special instance "Challenger" comes to mind. I learned at that very instant not to say things out loud, like "Well that was a waste of money." I was immediately silenced. When it blew up, I felt what my teachers told me to. Dangerous.

And you are right. Even when so called perps (think Columbine) get killed, we get some line about "not glamorizing the killers". When describing them, they were described as "quiet loners". Not one person said "Guy was a douchebag." or "He didn't have girlfriends because he was an ugly loser." Speaking of which, where is the diversity in "Crisis actors" anyways? Notice the psyops mostly (save Ferguson) happen in affluent neighbourhoods full of white people? Very few are overweight. With the high rate of obesity in the US, where are all of the overweight actors? Dirtballs? Greasers? Visible disabilities (Downs Syndrome, wheelchair, cerebral palsy?) Not one of the kids in the "Sandyhook Line and Sinker" had a visible disability in a world of inclusion? Please.
hoi.polloi

Plus, I just remember the unsuppressibles from my school days; they were getting into arguments with teachers, sent to detention for merely having a sense of humor at nobody's expense, getting suspended or even expelled. And not just one "disruptive type" but a whole variety at every school age, every color, every clothing style. Even some preppy kids from wealthy backgrounds for the area (maybe doing it for attention, or fitting in, or some other reason) and thug types (maybe doing it for the same reasons or to eke some small sense of survival in a world set against them). These things wouldn't even be as large a phenomenon if kids agreed with the system by default. But according to the news all of these varied personalities are one over-generalized character: a misfit, loony, loner, nerdy, religious/"far-out" jerk who wants to kill everyone.

One gets the sense that the media is going along with a military campaign to target and label any sort of dissent from the countless legitimate varieties there are.
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

iCONOCLAST tried it before but I've had a bit more luck by going with a broader definition (as Hoi suggested at the time).

Vicsim is now in the urban dictionary.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Critical Mass wrote:iCONOCLAST tried it before but I've had a bit more luck by going with a broader definition (as Hoi suggested at the time).

Excellent, CM! Very nicely done B)
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:
Critical Mass wrote:iCONOCLAST tried it before but I've had a bit more luck by going with a broader definition (as Hoi suggested at the time).

Excellent, CM! Very nicely done B)
Hah, nice one. Although, a better example would be Todd Beamer from That NineEleven Show.
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

hoi.polloi

Hooray! Thank you! :wub:
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

I love it !

Bravo, CM ! :)
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

A simple task... iCONCLAST's idea. Though it means little really.

After all the urban dictionaries 'Word of the Day' today is 'Bathroom Buckshot'.

Which reminds me... I'll try & get a definition of 'media fakery' up there.

Not too 'controversial', not too specific, a solid & 'widely accepted' example, a few teasers & some google bait... I'll work on it.