Should CLUESFORUM ever get silenced ...

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
simonshack
Administrator

Re: IF CLUESFORUM EVER GETS SILENCED

Unread post by simonshack »

I finally got a message tonite from our hosting server PRQ in Sweden - regarding their recent service blackouts...

Re: Cluesforum info is down [PRQ-SU121002-93361]
------------------------------------------------
Hi.

As you might have noticed we have had some disruption of the services
during the last 2 days.
The reason for this is that we had a little visit from the police. They
wanted information about a couple of IPs.
They did NOT go through any servers or get any information that will/can be
used against any customer.

The outage was longer than it needed to be due to the polices working
methods. We did what we could to make it as short as possible and secure
our customers privacy/data.

We understand that it's inconvinent that the services are interupted, but
we had to choose to make sure that our customers rights/data was secured
before uptime, and we hope that you as a customer understand this.

To clear up what the police where after here is a list, so that we can
clear some of the rumors out there:
88.80.5.130 + 132 = tankafetast.com (torrentsite/index (no trackers))
88.80.2.20 = unknown
88.80.2.56 = unknown
88.80.2.58 = site that have been shutdown for 6 months.

PS. For those of you who sends multiple tickets about the same issue, over
and over again. Stop it, it doesn't help or make things go faster.
PS2. This is a message that is sent to everyone, so don't take the above
point personally if you didn't send multiple tickets.

PRQ support
So that's what. :mellow:
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

Funny bits.. raising more questions than answers..
..we had a little visit from the police. They wanted information about a couple of IPs.
They did NOT go through any servers or get any information that will/can be used against any customer.
So... why the visit?!
Notably, PRQ is not disclosing what data or "information" was actually seized.
They [the police] wanted information about a couple of IPs.
The devil is in the detail here. What was the wanted "information" ?!

At face value, it's surprising that the Swedish security apparatus doesn't have more sophisticated methods of electronic intelligence-gathering. (here's betting it does..) In Britain, GCHQ has a billion pound spy base called The Doughnut. Where pretty much everything is logged and archived, usually before it's even happened. That's how they knew there would be 52 vicsims from the 7/7 bombings. :o
Last edited by reichstag fireman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

reichstag fireman wrote:So... why the visit?!
(...)
At face value, it's surprising that the Swedish security apparatus doesn't have more sophisticated methods of electronic intelligence-gathering. (here's betting it does..)
Not that I want to defend their actions, but I guess investigations are not just about gathering evidence. They need to gather it in a way that can be used in a court of law. It is possible or rather certain that the swedish police had monitored those websites for a long time and knew what kind of data they carried. But it is not so strange if they wanted to make sure that a certain activity belonged to a certain machine, in a way that would prove certain when lawyers and magistrates were to be called to fight on it. Hence the need to physically compare/copy the data on those machines "officially" and with a mandate.

The only really odd thing that I find about that email is that our website is hosted on a machine at this address: 88.80.30.4, apparently shared with 230-something other websites: http://whois.domaintools.com/88.80.30.4

So why all these websites, and ours among them, had to go down if they were sitting on machines not under investigation?

As to those "unknown" IPs in their email: I think the "unknown" stands for undisclosed information about websites they rather not publicize. Privacy on "whois" information is a prerogative someone pays for.

Some reference about tankafetast:
http://www.facebook.com/TankaFetast.Officiell
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rip-Tanka ... 5878894280
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tankafetast.com
tankafetast.com now redirects to the swedish pirate party page on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/piratpartiet

Whether such party, the pirate culture and all the surrounding activities (including PRQ) are a genuine grassroot creation or are instead entities polluted by or entirely made of cointel distraction agents is anybody's guess.
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

nonhocapito wrote:Whether such party, the pirate culture and all the surrounding activities (including PRQ) are a genuine grassroot creation or are instead entities polluted by or entirely made of cointel distraction agents is anybody's guess.
That's exactly what I've been asking myself. What purpose though? It's a kind of economic warfare that is radically re-arranging (deflating) the entertainment industry. Not that I care too much, but it's difficult to comprehend how it could happen by accident. Given that the industry is otherwise so all powerful. It makes little sense that the authorities today are ostensibly impotent in tackling the "piracy problem". Though, not very relevant to PRQ and the hosting of CluesForum. It's a shame there isn't a recognised form of distributed web hosting.
Tufa

Unread post by Tufa »

-- I just wish to express that I think this is lunacy on the elevated level. The Swedish Police would never stop operation of ordinary servers due to an investigation. If they wish to search the servers, they would never do that on site -- the servers would be seized by the police and taken to SKL in Linköping. That take a month, minimum! This would only be done if there was strong proof of some SERIOUS crime, not computer-related.
SKL in Linköping; Photo: Marcus Andrae, SKL.

It could be that the servers was intentionally put to a halt, just to prove a point, by the hosting service. The kind of investigation described, above (link, IP-question), would be done by a phone call.

It is important that the server is hosted/located at a good place. If the server or the local network is compromised, it enable some scary scenarios, such as running false accounts or double identities, that cannot be detected by the Admins due to that the saved IP:s look genuine. Another alternative would be to generate false traffic to the site, from various IP addresses, to lure us or the Admins into believing the site is popular. In any case, should the Cluesforum ever start a genuinely dangerous and irritating discussion, some more subtle trick would be used to ridicule/derail the discussion (see Truthers and shills).
simonshack
Administrator

Dear forum members,

Something odd happened yesterday.

Yesterday (February 22 2013), for the first time since its inception, not one single post was posted on Cluesforum (I refrained from posting myself - just to see how this would play out - as I started noticing this unprecedented 'phenomena'). This morning, our member Gracist 'broke the spell' by posting in the "Pope Resigns"thread (maybe we should thank the Pope for this little 'miracle' - hehe!)

More than 24 hours passed between Lux's last post on Feb22 - and Gracist's post on Feb 23:

Lux ( in the 'Ellen Mariani' thread)
February 22nd, 2013, 2:00 am

Gracist (in the 'Pope Resigns' thread)
February 23rd, 2013, 4:34 am

I have no idea what to make of this - but our member Abirato noticed this too and sent me this message over Skype this morning:
abirato wrote: where are all the cluesforum posts? haven't seen many new ones lately...usually there are 50 a day...
So the question is: did anyone experience problems posting on Cluesforum yesterday? If you did, please let me know - and if you STILL do, please message me by e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks!
fakeologist

Unread post by fakeologist »

simonshack wrote:*
Yesterday (February 22 2013), for the first time since its inception, not one single post was posted on Cluesforum (I refrained from posting myself - just to see how this would play out - as I started noticing this unprecedented 'phenomena'). This morning, our member Gracist 'broke the spell' by posting in the "Pope Resigns"thread (maybe we should thank the Pope for this little 'miracle' - hehe!)
I'm sure, like all critics of the research here like to say, it's just a coincidence.

It could also be a good indicator for you Simon from them telling you when you've hit one out of the park.

Perhaps you should highlight these flagged by them posts to the good readership here so they know they're reading something very close to the truth.
lux

Unread post by lux »

I was just super busy on the 22nd and didn't get a chance to post anything.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I visited maybe six times yesterday and noticed how quiet it was, I did read into it, simply with Spring and kicking back after you know who!
simonshack
Administrator

Oh well, I guess it's just a case of a little 'boranoia' on my part. It's been pouring down over here and springtime seems to be lagging a bit... Nothing to worry about! ^_^
fakeologist

Unread post by fakeologist »

simonshack wrote:Oh well, I guess it's just a case of a little 'boranoia' on my part. It's been pouring down over here and springtime seems to be lagging a bit... Nothing to worry about! ^_^
Perhaps also it was a shortened work week for those in cointelpro - what with President's Day on Monday.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

abirato wrote:
simonshack wrote:Oh well, I guess it's just a case of a little 'boranoia' on my part. It's been pouring down over here and springtime seems to be lagging a bit... Nothing to worry about! ^_^
Perhaps also it was a shortened work week for those in cointelpro - what with President's Day on Monday.
President of what? :rolleyes:

They know they can't beat us, their only strategy is to co-opt us. Plant useful idiots. Whether we fall for them and their bullshit, well that's another matter!
simonshack
Administrator

The Cluesforum torrent is now up - thanks to Ab at fakeologist.com (thanks Ab!) :)

For those who wish to help us seed our forum's backup version - please go here ...

http://fakeologist.com/2014/04/17/clues ... rent-file/

.. and click on the "magnet link". If you have utorrent, this should automatically start the process.

Thanks to all seeders !
Prescient

Re: Should CLUESFORUM ever get silenced ...

Unread post by Prescient »

Updated link to the torrent file (one above doesn't work)

http://fakeologist.com/2014/05/02/clues ... rent-file/

Is it time for a new backup torrent? I'm happy to help with seeding.
hoi.polloi

Re: Should CLUESFORUM ever get silenced ...

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Prescient wrote:Updated link to the torrent file (one above doesn't work)

http://fakeologist.com/2014/05/02/clues ... rent-file/

Is it time for a new backup torrent? I'm happy to help with seeding.
I agree it is high time for another back up. I have already created a database back up for a snapshot of today, but we should make an HTTrack style interactive snapshot and torrent it again.

Could we get a volunteer with a few gigs of space and a fast connection to use HTTrack to download http://www.cluesforum.info/ ?

Here is the link. https://www.httrack.com/

Anyone with "modern" specs and some free time is capable of letting it run and download our whole site. Just seeing if anyone wants to do this for us so I don't have to.

:P