Forum changes & updates

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
nonhocapito

Re: Forum changes & updates

Unread post by nonhocapito »

Following a suggestion by one of the members, I added the ability to embed audio files in the page. This works using the website "Clyp.it", which allows to upload audio files without an account.

I don't know if this is the best service for this or if it's lousy, in all honesty I was in a hurry and stopped at the first result in google. Of course I'm open to suggestions if you have different services in mind.

The use is easy, just embed the url to the clip between the tag "clyp" from the "embed" menu.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

Dear all,

I posted the following update to our Registration procedures just yesterday.
UPDATE: November 20, 2018:

Dear prospective Cluesforum members,

. . .

STEP 1: Send a brief email to both me ([email protected]) and Simon ([email protected]) requesting to be admitted into the “Newly Registered Users” group. Please be sure to include (in the email) the username you wish to use. You may consider sending a backup option in the event your first choice is taken.

STEP 2:. We will notify you via email (likely within 24 hours) with your login credentials. After that, please sign in and locate the heading (fourth link down from “WE AND THE FORUM”) entitled “Initial Introduction By New Registrants”. From there you will need to access the topic entitled “Introduce Yourself to the Administrators.”
In addition to the above change, I have regrettably had to reconsider the issue of our members being able to change their own passwords.

While I was initially persuaded that this would be a positive change, I have had to reconsider that, in light of the potential for abuse (e.g. hi-jacking of an account).

If any member forgets his/her password, please don’t hesitate to email me ([email protected]) and Simon ([email protected]). One of us will get back to you ASAP. Between the two of us, we pretty well have the time zones covered.

If there is another Admin that wishes (or is willing) to be available in such circumstances, please feel free to add yourself to this post as an edit.

Also, if any members (who haven’t already brought it to my attention) receive strange, questionable, or annoying automated emails having to do with this Forum, PLEASE send me an email about it.

I’m having to work on the board settings in conjunction with our server (and email) host to get this right.

It’s tricky to try and allow for emails from within the forum, and simultaneously prevent spam and/or bot activity that goes to each member.

Incidentally, please be aware that (to my knowledge) internal emails between members (from within the CF email system) are not going through right now. And unfortunately, that fact isn’t clear when attempting to send one as such.

The good news is that the PM system appears to be working.

Thank you all for your patience. Constructive feedback is certainly welcome at the SUGGESTION BOX (for Admins)” thread.

Also, please keep in mind that these types of issues are ever changing and ongoing. Even if we finally “get it perfect,” well. . . the software or an update will set us back into making adjustments yet again.

Anything of value in this world requires maintenance. I’ve come to peace with that. :)

Sincerely,
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Dear Cluesforum Members,

Please take note of the following:

One, if any of you (especially Members who haven’t signed in for several years) have trouble signing in, please let me know via email at the address in my signature line. We have 5,000+ “Members” in the “newly registered users” group. The vast majority (probably 90+%) have never posted.

Those sleeper accounts (though I recognize some are harmless, and only wish to read the forum- which is perfectly fine) pose unknown dangers to the forum, so I have been trying to clean up the list by deactivating accounts where the most recent activity is X years ago, AND posts are under X amount.

I TRY to be careful when doing this. But, I’m only human, and there obviously isn’t enough time to go through each one individually. Please don’t take it personal if you end up having to send me an email asking to be reinstated.

Moreover, for our active members, please let me know if you would like a Cluesforum.info email address.

I’ll be happy to set one up for you upon request by email or PM. I will also be glad to set it such that it can be forwarded to another email if you so desire.

Of course I will do this as time permits.

As always, thank you for your patience, and I look forward to this year being fun and productive.

Yours Truly,
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Dear Cluesforum Members,

If you are able to sign- in, but can’t post, then there’s a good chance that it has been a long time since you were active here, and have been placed in the “Inactive Members” group.

In such an instance, please make a brief post here, and an Administrator will respond shortly.

I’ve had to split the groups up a bit because of the new vetting process, and how permissions are set for each group.

If you were mistakenly placed in this group, please understand that I’ve literally had to go through well over 6,000 accounts (I’ve lost track) since beginning this, and I’m bound to have made some mistakes.

A kind email to the address below (in my signature line) will be appreciated under such circumstances.
But, who knows. . . maybe I won’t receive an email like that. :)