The picture that won the Pulitzer

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
flipflop

The picture that won the Pulitzer

Unread post by flipflop »

Covered in blood amid a tangled heap of dead mothers and children, 12-year-old Tarana Akbari punctuates the chaotic aftermath of a suicide attack with a scream for help.
When it appeared on the front page of the New York Times, The Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times on December 7 2011, this image brought home the bloody reality of a war that has devastated the lives of ordinary people across Afghanistan.
Today it was honoured with a Pulitzer Prize, journalism's highest accolade.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

Looks staged to me, hardly any blood on the floor, none on the wall behind and no limbs missing from what I can see. Also, why stand there taking pictures and not helping?

If I'm wrong then fair enough, and I appologise to the victims, but looks moody to me. <_<
fbenario

Re: The picture that won the Pulitzer

Unread post by fbenario »

flipflop wrote:Looks staged to me, hardly any blood on the floor, none on the wall behind and no limbs missing from what I can see. Also, why stand there taking pictures and not helping?
Every figure in it looks staged.
lux

Unread post by lux »

The kid in the upper right corner appears to be laughing.

The 2 "dead bodies" at the bottom are resting their heads on their hands/arms. Dead bodies generally are not concerned about a soft place to lay their head.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:The kid in the upper right corner appears to be laughing.

The 2 "dead bodies" at the bottom are resting their heads on their hands/arms. Dead bodies generally are not concerned about a soft place to lay their head.
And this little girl is smiling - as if participating in a prank...

I mean come on: there's no blood to be seen - with all these bodies lying around. How did they die? It's really stoopid.

I call it the "Foolitzer prize".
wtc-wtf

Unread post by wtc-wtf »

The propagandalitzer prize winner 2007 :lol:
lux

Unread post by lux »

simonshack wrote:
I call it the "Foolitzer prize".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Another observation: Since some of them are obviously not dead then most likely none of them are dead because, in most any culture, living people do not lie down next to or underneath or on top of dead bodies.
pshea38
Banned

Unread post by pshea38 »

Qu'est que c'est?
It is supposed to be a hand I guess, but it looks pretty strange.

Do you think the baby pictured could be a life-like doll?
The ear and earhole look un-natural.
lux

Unread post by lux »

I found this larger center crop of the photo. Notice the guy on the right. Looks like the make-up artist got rather creative with him.

nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

A little more info about the picture can be read here: http://www.maxmaple.com/2012/04/pulitze ... gton-post/

"Tarana Akbari screaming after a suicide bomber detonated a bomb in a crowd at the Abul Fazel Shrine". The picture was taken by "Massoud Hossaini" in Kabul on December 6, 2011.

On the following December 10 he allegedly took this other picture also with "Tarana Akbari":

From http://www.maxmaple.com/2012/04/pulitze ... gton-post/

The picture seem to have more or less the same light, the same relative position to the sun, and seem to have been taken at the same time of day. Must be because of the consistency of the weather in Kabul in that time of the year. <_<

(As a side note, here are the temperatures in Kabul on that month.)

Tarana is a little celebrity, though: apparently, not after December 16th, she even explained to the BBC what had happened:

Suicide bomber was dressed like a janitor, says Afghan girl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16218232

If this is the same girl... I suppose the blood on her face did not come from her body, since she seems to be without a single scar. Although we are told she is suffering from stomach and leg injuries.

Elsewhere, we are told that this is the same girl:

From http://www.balkanforum.info/f26/pulitze ... al-214315/

... evidently, despite being of an anonymous poor background, she had already been pictured by a professional photographer four or five years earlier. <_<

(Now for a personal opinion: Even if this story were true, and these people were really injured and killed in an explosion (doesn't seem likely, but for argument's sake); even if it were so, these alleged "reporters", who award each others for having depicted death and despair and fear with the most intensity and shock value, deserve in any case to be ignored, not-believed, mocked, derided and discouraged and put at the margins of society. We have had enough of them, of their twisted values, of their morbid outlook, of their indifference and arrogance and propensity to lie. We do not need them to describe and understand this world! I don't want anymore to hear the story, any story, from a scumbag who took pictures instead of helping out.)
orkneylad

Unread post by orkneylad »

Which won the pulitzer, the raw image or the Pshop one? If you decide to fake a hand, where do you then stop?

Huffpost gives us a handy link to both versions.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04 ... 34790.html

Stinks of something . . .
nonhocapito

orkneylad wrote:Stinks of something . . .
They appear to be two different subsequent shots. I wonder which one won the prize :rolleyes:

The little child seem to be really having fun :)

lux

Unread post by lux »

I see dead people moving. :lol:
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Jeez...This is getting ridiculous!

http://esteri.liquida.it/photogallery/2 ... e-le-foto/

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
lux

Unread post by lux »

What a scam!
nonhocapito

Never mind the dying children! Never mind the scumbag photographers picturing me! I gotta send an sms!