Global Oil Infrastructure

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
fbenario

Re: Global Oil Infrastructure

Unread post by fbenario »

whatsgoingon wrote:Then I think about it in these two tacts.
I think you must mean 'tacks'. If you have time you might edit your post.
whatsgoingon
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Unread post by whatsgoingon »

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

Why is petrol so expensive in Europe compared to the gasoline of the U.S. other than the reported 'war cost discount'? Also, why are so few diesel models available here and those that are available are sold at a significant cost premium? Also, in my brief visit to Spain a few years back, why are mopeds so popular there but here they are almost 'embarassing' to own in the U.S.?
fbenario

Libero wrote:Why is petrol so expensive in Europe compared to the gasoline of the U.S. other than the reported 'war cost discount'?
I think it is because Europe taxes petrol very, very much higher than the US, specifically in order to discourage its use in Europe.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Yes, those little farty guys that dart around, without the power of a motorcycle and without the freedom of a bicycle - why are they so embarrassing to own?

I tease. Actually those things are really fun to drive (and ride!). You can get electric ones too. That is the second time I have inexplicably promoted electric scooters on this forum and that is already two times too many so I will stop now. :P

I think you are hitting on an attitude in the USA, Libero. We have a semi-conscious pride in our freedom to be addicted to our downfall. Instead of feeling thankful for the bountiful (disappearing) wilderness around us, or our ability to be efficient and enjoy more bounty, we celebrate our ability to freely wreck the bounty, abuse it and misappropriate our power.

"When the power of appreciation overcomes the appreciation for power, perhaps our world will know a bit more peace" (plagiarizing/paraphrasing some authors)
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoi.polloi

Funny how the natural gas car is on a web site called "green car congress" considering the fracking used to extract natural gas from its environment. Isn't fracking similar in Europe?
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbenario

hoi.polloi wrote: Instead of feeling thankful for the bountiful (disappearing) wilderness around us,
Actually, if the stats about tree-cover are accurate, there is actually much greater forestland in the US than 100 years ago, from all the purposeful planting done on no-longer-needed agricultural farmland.
hoi.polloi

Thank goodness! I hope there are similar statistics about diminishing dumping of dioxin and other carcinogenic toxic wastes into the food chain. Perhaps there is hope.
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

Those believing in Peak Oil are causing unnecessary misery to us.

It assuredly seems the case that hydrocarbons are of abiogenic / abiotic origin. That is to say, they are of essentially limitless supply - trapped in the earth's mantle since the dawn of time. Only to be released through cracks and fissures along fault-lines in the earth's crust.

What this means (if correct) is that hydrocarbons are even more plentiful than water. Panic over guys! :rolleyes: Now to adjust the oil price accordingly...

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/2 ... 3_feat.pdf
Last edited by reichstag fireman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbenario

reichstag fireman wrote:Those believing in Peak Oil are causing unnecessary misery to us.
Beats hell out of me whether Peak Oil is possible, relevant, or even any-longer-interesting, but THAT is a great sentence.
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.