THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
simonshack
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:"TV is dying,"

In all, about 5 million people ended their cable and broadband subs between the beginning of 2010 and the end of this year.
This is excellent news. Let's hope that a little chunk of these 5million are Cluesforum readers - this would truly make our work worthwhile.

I know, the mainstream media has long infiltrated the internets - so we cannot rejoice too much as yet (to be sure, the fight against government propaganda is an uphill struggle) - but the slow death of TV is a step towards the right direction.
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ Yes, exactly my thought on it.
simonshack
Administrator

lux wrote:^ Yes, exactly my thought on it.
Just imagine this planet's inhabitants - ALL of them - without a TV set. <_<
lux

Unread post by lux »

Indeed. :)
I, Gestalta

Unread post by I, Gestalta »

simonshack wrote:
lux wrote:^ Yes, exactly my thought on it.
Just imagine this planet's inhabitants - ALL of them - without a TV set. <_<
Have you played Wipeout HD: Fury in 3D, at 1080p, running Phantom Class? Ever have a buddy over to plug in the old NES and play through Contra 1 and Super C without dying? Waaaaaay better than just using an emulator. Great times, great tests of reflexes, pattern recognition, memory, teamwork, coordination, etc---what video games are supposed to be.

So, with the exception of being able to play Wipeout HD (futuristic racing), DYAD (synaesthesia, music/color game) and Contra on NES, I agree that televisions are useless---especially the ones employing some sort of service.
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Have you played Wipeout HD: Fury in 3D, at 1080p, running Phantom Class?
You forgot 60 frames per second :)
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Not too conspicuous by my absence I hope, been having some provider hardware problems.

Glad to be back, have I missed anything?
simonshack
Administrator

brianv wrote:Not too conspicuous by my absence I hope, been having some provider hardware problems.

Welcome back, Brian. Missed anything? Nah - just a boring 50th anniversary of John Fidge Herald's departure to the moon. :P
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

3 year old "boy" falls into Gorilla cage. (old story from 1996)

I'm suspicious about this story. The first shot conveniently only shows the boy from the waste down. The next shot suddenly pans to the left as the cameraman zooms in, so that you can't really see any details of the boy's body. The third shot shows the Gorilla dragging the boy but we can't really see any details and the boy seems to be a bit "dummy-like" to me. Am I supposed to believe this 3 year old boy fell 18 feet onto rock and only broke his hand? Your thoughts would be appreciated. :D

http://awesomeanimals01.blogspot.com/20 ... pYkVsSqIxP
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

simonshack wrote:
brianv wrote:Not too conspicuous by my absence I hope, been having some provider hardware problems.

Welcome back, Brian. Missed anything? Nah - just a boring 50th anniversary of John Fidge Herald's departure to the moon. :P
Oh. So that's why my barber was talking about Ugly Head (Kennedy). I told him "I don't believe a word about it and I don't give a fuck about him neither." End of barber-talk.

Bum Rap Are Hazard :P
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Life's good :blink:
An IT consultant called Jason Huntley, who lives in a village near Hull, uncovered evidence that a flat-screen television, which had been sitting in his living room since the summer, was secretly invading his family’s privacy.

He began investigating the £400 LG device after noticing that its home screen appeared to be showing him ‘targeted’ adverts — for cars, and Knorr stock cubes — based on programmes he’d just been watching.

Huntley decided to monitor information that the so-called smart TV — which connects to the internet — was sending and receiving. He did this by using his laptop effectively as a bridge between his television and the internet receiver, so the laptop was able to show all the data being sucked out of his set.

He soon discovered that details of not just every show he watched but every button he pressed on his remote control were being sent back to LG’s corporate headquarters in South Korea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... g-YOU.html
Mickey

Unread post by Mickey »

Where were you when the planes crashed the .... "unpublished" Three Stories by JD Salinger were leaked 50 years premature .. :ph34r:
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

What do you mean, Mickey?
Mickey

Unread post by Mickey »

hoi,

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/thre ... dly-leaked

I think I have seen you on WCD btw :)
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Weird. I guess the only way to confirm for one's self that these aren't ghost-written post-mortem works with Salinger's name attached for pure profit is to go and meet the original holders and see if you think they are trustworthy. Seems we humans love fucking with the past merely by changing the present. It's not unheard of for writers to have all sorts of unpublished manuscripts, though.

I don't know what you mean by WCD. Do I want to know?