Food production

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Food production

Postby DeeJay on November 4th, 2012, 6:59 pm

i have a lot of interest (not professional) in food production, its quality, quantity, wastage, ingredients, mistreatment of animals, lies from super manufacturers, dwindling world reserves of natural grains, wheat, corn, rice, etc. and then those behemoths like Monsanto on a mission of world control.

an additional concern to me is world water supply and the information about it.

do you think that these subjects could be raised on this forum? do you think that there could be sufficient material to challenge authorities and the media? my understanding is that world food production has dwindled this year because of weather phenomena which will be a challenge by next year. at the same time, all the dumping by the west could more than feed famished peoples around the world but you can't send a half hamburger from detroit to kampala, so what does one do? how can one dump a magret de canard in toulouse, when the money, the "calorific" value, could be better used elsewhere? how can people learn not to live by our throw-out economy?

i think that there is a lot of bad management worldwide about basic staples and also a lot of lying. i would like to go after our food suppliers but at the same time, we need re-education as to how we eat and i don't know how to get "our" knowledge (if there is any) and dollars to those who need them most.

maybe a dumb idea on this website and perhaps i should look elsewhere?

thank you for your feedback (no pun intended!).

DeeJay
DeeJay
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: September 1st, 2012, 2:18 pm

Re: Food production

Postby fbenario on November 5th, 2012, 2:54 am

DeeJay wrote:i have a lot of interest (not professional) in food production, its quality, quantity, wastage, ingredients, mistreatment of animals, lies from super manufacturers, dwindling world reserves of natural grains, wheat, corn, rice, etc. and then those behemoths like Monsanto on a mission of world control.

an additional concern to me is world water supply and the information about it.

do you think that these subjects could be raised on this forum? do you think that there could be sufficient material to challenge authorities and the media? my understanding is that world food production has dwindled this year because of weather phenomena which will be a challenge by next year. at the same time, all the dumping by the west could more than feed famished peoples around the world but you can't send a half hamburger from detroit to kampala, so what does one do? how can one dump a magret de canard in toulouse, when the money, the "calorific" value, could be better used elsewhere? how can people learn not to live by our throw-out economy?

i think that there is a lot of bad management worldwide about basic staples and also a lot of lying. i would like to go after our food suppliers but at the same time, we need re-education as to how we eat and i don't know how to get "our" knowledge (if there is any) and dollars to those who need them most.

maybe a dumb idea on this website and perhaps i should look elsewhere?

thank you for your feedback (no pun intended!).

DeeJay

I may be missing something obvious, but if your keyboard's Shift key worked properly when you capitalized the D and J in your username at the end of your post, why didn't it work at the beginning of each sentence within your post?

You know, this isn't Twitter. Common courtesy to other readers, and respect for their time, together demand we each exercise at least a modicum of care with what we post.
fbenario
Member
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: October 23rd, 2009, 2:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Food production

Postby Mercurial on November 5th, 2012, 11:20 am

I know TED is pretty perp infested but this is an inspiring little film:


full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmKoj4RSZw
Mercurial
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: December 31st, 2010, 1:23 am

Re: Food production

Postby Dcopymope on November 6th, 2012, 11:47 pm

DeeJay wrote:i have a lot of interest (not professional) in food production, its quality, quantity, wastage, ingredients, mistreatment of animals, lies from super manufacturers, dwindling world reserves of natural grains, wheat, corn, rice, etc. and then those behemoths like Monsanto on a mission of world control.

an additional concern to me is world water supply and the information about it.

do you think that these subjects could be raised on this forum? do you think that there could be sufficient material to challenge authorities and the media? my understanding is that world food production has dwindled this year because of weather phenomena which will be a challenge by next year. at the same time, all the dumping by the west could more than feed famished peoples around the world but you can't send a half hamburger from detroit to kampala, so what does one do? how can one dump a magret de canard in toulouse, when the money, the "calorific" value, could be better used elsewhere? how can people learn not to live by our throw-out economy?

i think that there is a lot of bad management worldwide about basic staples and also a lot of lying. i would like to go after our food suppliers but at the same time, we need re-education as to how we eat and i don't know how to get "our" knowledge (if there is any) and dollars to those who need them most.

maybe a dumb idea on this website and perhaps i should look elsewhere?

thank you for your feedback (no pun intended!).

DeeJay


The food supply may have taken a hit because of the drought but there is no way to gauge how much of a hit it really took. Whatever it may be, you can bet the numbers are being fudged in some way. We've been hearing about the supposed shortage of food for years in other countries, and we should know that there is no real shortage. The reason why the people in the "third world countries" can barely feed themselves is not because of a shortage of food but because of a shortage of money, they can't afford to feed themselves. Yet again, a lot of the worlds problems stem from this thing we call money, not because of a perceived shortage of supply. Keep in mind too, that it has been stated in State Department documents that what is called "the west", or what I will call the power elite has no intention of feeding the hungry, because there are already too many of us anyway. According to them, the world is overpopulated and must be addressed by any means necessary, including using food as a weapon, rather its through artificial scarcity or through poisoning the food supply, which brings us to companies like Monsanto.

The primary companies involved in the tainting of our food supply is Conagra, Cagrill, Protein Technologies International, Dupont Chemicals, ADM (Archerm Daniels, Midland), and of course Monsanto, the kingpin of the agrifood cartel. As I've pointed out before long ago in the old forum, if you know about Agent Orange and the havoc it wrecked on everything it touched in Vietnam then you should know that no company like Monsanto, who had involvement in the development of bio-chemical weapons should be allowed anywhere near the food supply. Now these cockroaches have a monopoly on the worlds food supply and cancer rates are skyrocketing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whats going on. As a Christian, it should be duly noted that what Monsanto is doing is strictly forbidden in the Bible. God warned us about tampering with the blueprint of his creation. He has a copyright on it, so if you screw with it and claim it to be your own like these cockroaches are doing then you will answer to God for your transgressions. Satan's agenda has never changed, which is to defile all of Gods creation.

Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. - Leviticus 19:19


The kissinger report on the 'problem of overpopulation': http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PCAAB500.pdf
Dcopymope
Member
 
Posts: 670
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 2:59 am

Re: Food production

Postby Mercurial on November 7th, 2012, 1:27 am

The news the other day was saying the grain crop yields in the UK are poor this year and they are worried about next year's crop from this weaker seed. (Not from drought but from too wet a summer.) They're softening us up for GM varieties, I sure.
Mercurial
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: December 31st, 2010, 1:23 am

Re: Food production

Postby Dcopymope on November 7th, 2012, 1:50 am

Mercurial wrote:The news the other day was saying the grain crop yields in the UK are poor this year and they are worried about next year's crop from this weaker seed. (Not from drought but from too wet a summer.) They're softening us up for GM varieties, I sure.


In this case, its not a stretch to conclude that they are using the well known weather modification techniques to do this.
Dcopymope
Member
 
Posts: 670
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 2:59 am

Re: Food production

Postby simonshack on November 7th, 2012, 1:53 am

Dcopymope wrote:
The Kissinger report on the 'problem of overpopulation': http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PCAAB500.pdf

What a clownish, idiotic report - what with that "CONFIDENTIAL" heading. Lame as hell. Henry Kissinger is a dangerously powerful, deranged individual who needs to be urgently contained in a mental care institution - lest he causes more suffering and havoc on this planet.

There. I said it.
simonshack
Administrator
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: October 18th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: Food production

Postby Dcopymope on November 7th, 2012, 2:03 am

simonshack wrote:
Dcopymope wrote:
The Kissinger report on the 'problem of overpopulation': http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PCAAB500.pdf

What a clownish, idiotic report - what with that "CONFIDENTIAL" heading. Lame as hell. Henry Kissinger is a dangerously powerful, deranged individual who needs to be urgently contained in a mental care institution - lest he causes more suffering and havoc on this planet.

There. I said it.


Throwing them in any mental ward or prison is not a good enough punishment to me. They all should be burned alive or slowly beheaded on international TV. These cockroaches don't deserve to live in my eyes with the crimes they are committing.
Dcopymope
Member
 
Posts: 670
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 2:59 am

Re: Food production

Postby Mercurial on November 7th, 2012, 3:23 am

But then doesn't Nietzsche's abyss come into play. These are some seriously damaged individuals - containment would be better.

My idea is putting them away and having cameras trained on them 24/7 so whoever wants to can at their leisure watch them squirm, repent, wank, whatever - a whole new genre of reality TV!! I'm a Dangerous Cunt Get Me Out of Here! We could vote for tasks and forfeits - could be quite fun.

On a more useful and positive note and given that the aforementioned and most of his ilk can't be not too far from death anyway, this quote appeals to my more optimistic streak:

We’re all living in a very special time — a time when profound evolutionary development can be felt and seen more palpably and more tangibly than ever before. In fact, the rate of change today is moving so quickly, it is, more often than not, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually overwhelming. But we can’t go back. In fact, there’s nowhere to go back to. The simpler world that we may yearn to return to simply doesn’t exist anymore. I think the real issue at hand is whether we are morally, intellectually, philosophically, and spiritually prepared not only to not resist the momentum that we’re already being carried by, but more importantly, to actually take responsibility for it. I passionately believe that this is the great spiritual challenge at hand for all of us. Whether it’s a task we’ll be able to meet, I don’t know. But I’ve devoted my life to awakening in as many people as possible a wholehearted desire to try.

—Andrew Cohen


Bloody New Agers! :lol:

But seriously, do I really believe love will save us all? Perhaps. All I know is hate breeds hate, fear breeds fear, greed breeds more greed and that's why we're in the mess we're in. As a species we need to grow up and soon. Responsibility, forgiveness and reconciliation have to be the new buzzwords. Anarchism as it was meant in Thomas Paine's day. By which I take to mean autonomous communities working responsibly for the good of everyone and the environment and trading fairly with their neighbours. If we can't do that, it doesn't matter how many of these fucks you kill there'll be plenty more to step into their fascist boots.

(Was Paine for real, do you think? He seems too good to be true. I have a nagging suspicion he may have been some sort of crown agent - anyone know much about him?)
Mercurial
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: December 31st, 2010, 1:23 am

Re: Food production

Postby fbenario on November 7th, 2012, 3:30 am

Dcopymope wrote:The reason why the people in the "third world countries" can barely feed themselves is not because of a shortage of food but because of a shortage of money, they can't afford to feed themselves. Yet again, a lot of the worlds problems stem from this thing we call money, not because of a perceived shortage of supply.

Countries that "can't feed themselves" also tend to have a "governing" class composed entirely of kleptocrats who siphon off for themselves all the available money and food. Further, and just to add insult to injury, they also charge the aid agencies bribes to let the agencies distribute "their" food to "their own people" before the food rots away entirely on the docks and landing strips.

EDIT: Nice. I just noticed this was forum post number 35,000! Well done to all involved, it's been a great 3-year learning experience and daily life-event! More years, and decades, to come > bring 'em on.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
fbenario
Member
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: October 23rd, 2009, 2:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Food production

Postby Mercurial on November 7th, 2012, 3:56 am

Here's a piece I put together for publication which was spiked in favour of a plagiarised-from-wikipedia piece by my then-boss's favourite office swot's sister. Bitter? Only a bit! :P

Clarion Call

A Mashup Manifesto in the words of Thomas Paine

Here lies the body of John Crow
Who once was high but now is low
Ye brother crows take warning all
For as you rise, so must you fall
By Thomas Paine (aged 8)

It is not without good cause that inventor, firebrand pamphleteer, and English father of the American Revolution Thomas Paine isn’t better known to people today. His words are as incendiary now as they were the day they were written. “To reason with governments, as they have existed for ages, is to argue with brutes. It is only from the nations themselves that reforms can be expected” with words like these he speaks truth to power in a way no one has dared since. To Thomas Paine, justice and humanity were above any thoughts of personal safety. Lampooned by loyalists, (society commentator Horace Walpole thought his writing “so coarse, that you would think he means to degrade the language as much as the government”) revered by the founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson considered Thomas Paine as the only man of letters of his generation to write better than he did) – this was a man who could polarize opinion like no other.

Arch blogger of his day? Maybe. In 1776, on publication of the pamphlet Common Sense, his was not a voice among thousands, his voice was singular in its appeal to his adherents, and there were many. In its call to the masses, his voice had a new tenor, and it sounded out across the ocean as clear as a bell.

In the words of 19th century biographer Ellery Sedgwick, “Let us treat the memory of Thomas Paine without prejudice. This insurgent Democrat was not an attractive person, as we look at him from the ranks of respectable society; but among real revolutionists of the world, even among the greatest of them, how many should we have cared to treat as friends? We might reasonably seek courtesy in Luther or urbanity in Cromwell as moderation in Paine. It is the pioneers who have done the hardest work the world has given men to do. Thus it was with Paine. His tasks were not all done wisely, but they were done bravely. Too often his light was darkness, but he walked steadfastly in its path, and the goal which he sought was the happiness of his fellowmen.”

Love him or not, there is much to be learned from taking a leaf out of any of his books. So that’s what we’ve done we’ve taken a number of leaves from a number of his books to create a 21st century manifesto in the words of Thomas Paine – what we think he would have to say to today’s would-be revolutionaries. Here we let the man who sought democracy through letters do the talking.


“It often happens that the weight of an argument is lost by the wit of setting it off; or the judgment disordered by an intemperate irritation of the passions. Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour; a long habit of not thinking a thing WRONG, gives it a superficial appearance of being RIGHT, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.

We have it in our power to begin the world over again. It is an age of Revolutions, in which everything may be looked for. When it becomes necessary to do a thing, the whole heart and soul should go into the measure, or not attempt it. You have too much at stake to hesitate. You ought not to think an hour upon the matter, but to spring to action at once. Now our time and turn is come, and perhaps the finishing stroke is reserved for us. When we look back on the dangers we have been saved from, and reflect on the success we have been blessed with, it would be sinful either to be idle or to despair.

Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself – that is my doctrine. I have never made it a consideration whether the subject was popular or unpopular, but whether it was right or wrong; for that which is right will become popular, and that which is wrong, though by mistake it may obtain the cry or fashion of the day, will soon lose the power of delusion, and sink into disesteem.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. To see it in our power to make a world happy – to teach mankind the art of being – to exhibit on the theatre of the universe, a character hitherto unknown – and to have, as it were, a new creation entrusted to our hands, are honours that command reflection, and can neither be too highly estimated, nor too gratefully received.
That there are men in all countries who get their living by war, and by keeping up the quarrels of nations, is as shocking as it is true; but when those who are concerned in the government of a country, make it their study to sow discord, and cultivate prejudices between nations, it becomes the more unpardonable… When we take a survey of mankind we cannot help cursing the wretch, who, to the unavoidable misfortunes of nature shall wilfully add the calamities of war. One would think there were evils enough in the world without studying to increase them, and that life is sufficiently short without shaking the sand that measures it. There is something in a war carried on by invasion which makes it differ in circumstances from any other mode of war, because he who conducts it cannot tell whether the ground he gains, be for him, or against him, when he first makes it. It is the duty of man with respect to his neighbour to do as he would be done by.

It is only by tracing things to their origin, that we can gain rightful ideas of them, and it is by gaining such ideas that we discover the boundary that divides right from wrong, and teaches every man to know his own. It ought not to be, that because we cannot do everything, that we ought not to do what we can. The mind of man is not sufficiently capacious to attend to every thing at once, and while it suffers itself to be eaten up by narrow prejudices or fretted by personal politics, it will have neither relish nor appetite for public virtues. Every person of learning is finally his own teacher, the reason of which is that principles, being a distinct quality to circumstances, cannot be impressed upon the memory; their place of mental residence is the understanding and they are never so lasting as when they begin by conception. Were a man to be totally deprived of memory, he would be incapable of forming any just opinion. Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions. Expedience and right are different things.

For that which is a disgrace to human nature, throws something of a shade over all the human character, and each individual feels his share of the wound that is given to the whole. When I look into history and see the multitudes of men, otherwise virtuous, who have died, and their families been ruined, in the defense of knaves and fools, and which they would not have done, had they reasoned at all upon the system; I do not know a greater good that an individual can render to mankind, than to endeavor to break the chains of political superstition.

Can we possibly suppose that if Governments had originated in a right principal, and had not an interest in pursuing a wrong one, the world could have been in the wretched and quarrelsome condition we have seen it? The American constitutions were to liberty, what a grammar is to language: they define its parts of speech and practically construct them into syntax. The weaker any cord is the less will it bear to be stretched, and the worse is the policy to stretch it, unless it is intended to break it. A Constitution is the property of a Nation, and not those who exercise the Government. As this is in the order of nature, the order of Government must necessarily follow it, or Government will, as we see it does, degenerate into ignorance. Though the cause of America is the most honorable that man ever engaged in, I am not so dazzled by it as not to perceive the faults that are twisting themselves round it, and unnaturally claiming kindred with it. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny. When the government fears the people, you have freedom…

…the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think.

But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants is the liberty of appearing. There is a general and striking difference between the genuine effects of truth itself, and the effects of falsehood believed to be truth. Truth is naturally benign; but falsehood believed to be truth is always furious. The former delights in serenity, is mild and persuasive, and seeks not the auxiliary aid of invention. The latter sticks at nothing. Truth never envelops itself in mystery, and the mystery in which it is at any time enveloped is the work of its antagonist, and never of itself. It has naturally no morals. Every lie is welcome that suits its purpose. It is the innate character of the thing to act in this manner, and the criterion by which it may be known, whether in politics or religion. When any thing is attempted to be supported by lying, it is presumptive evidence that the thing so supported is a lie also. The stock on which a lie can be grafted must be of the same species as the graft. The mind, in discovering truth, acts in the same manner as it acts through the eye in discovering objects; when once any object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it. Ignorance is of a peculiar nature; once dispelled, it is impossible to re-establish it. It is not originally a thing of itself, but is only the absence of knowledge; and though man may be kept ignorant, he cannot be made ignorant. It is folly to argue against determined hardness; eloquence may strike the ear, and the language of sorrow draw forth the tear of compassion, but nothing can reach the heart that is steeled with prejudice. It is necessary to the happiness of man that he be mentally faithful to himself. I do not believe that any two men, on what are called doctrinal points, think alike, who think at all. It is only those who have not thought that appear to agree. It is only by the exercise of reason that man can discover God. If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, and this is all that it proves. There are cases in which silence is a loud language.”


(Sorry, it's not very polished - I just love all these quotes too much to cut any. Not so excellent journalism maybe, but from the heart at least!)

Edit: I typed swat for swot - must have been thinking "twat"! :lol: :rolleyes:
Mercurial
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: December 31st, 2010, 1:23 am

Re: Food production

Postby MrSinclair on November 8th, 2012, 3:19 am

simonshack wrote:
Dcopymope wrote:
The Kissinger report on the 'problem of overpopulation': http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PCAAB500.pdf

What a clownish, idiotic report - what with that "CONFIDENTIAL" heading. Lame as hell. Henry Kissinger is a dangerously powerful, deranged individual who needs to be urgently contained in a mental care institution - lest he causes more suffering and havoc on this planet.

There. I said it.



Among the most vile and destructive lunatics to ever walk the earth. Probably more blood on his hands than any man alive.
MrSinclair
Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: December 23rd, 2011, 2:29 am

Re: Food production

Postby Mercurial on November 8th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Prop. 37: Genetic food labels defeated - weird that Californians would vote against this.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Prop-37-Genetic-food-labels-loses-4014669.php%23photo-3700605

Foul play maybe??

Have you seen the French study into effects of GM corn on rats. Really gross.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/sep/28/study-gm-maize-cancer

Daily Mail has some really horrific pics - but I'm not linking to that rag.

"Leading scientists" say results are flawed - well they would wouldn't they.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/09/24/does-genetically-modified-corn-cause-cancer-a-flawed-study/

"Leading scientists" giving science a bad name again!

(There was a British firm hired years ago to prove the safety of GM (can't remember which grain) - the guy put himself forward as he believed it was safe - the results in mice were horrific. He was shut down and ruined. Can't find him, it was an Indian sounding name, anyone know about/remember this?)
Mercurial
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: December 31st, 2010, 1:23 am

Re: Food production

Postby Dcopymope on November 8th, 2012, 11:29 pm

fbenario wrote:
Dcopymope wrote:The reason why the people in the "third world countries" can barely feed themselves is not because of a shortage of food but because of a shortage of money, they can't afford to feed themselves. Yet again, a lot of the worlds problems stem from this thing we call money, not because of a perceived shortage of supply.

Countries that "can't feed themselves" also tend to have a "governing" class composed entirely of kleptocrats who siphon off for themselves all the available money and food. Further, and just to add insult to injury, they also charge the aid agencies bribes to let the agencies distribute "their" food to "their own people" before the food rots away entirely on the docks and landing strips.

EDIT: Nice. I just noticed this was forum post number 35,000! Well done to all involved, it's been a great 3-year learning experience and daily life-event! More years, and decades, to come > bring 'em on.

Illegitimi non carborundum.


We should be questioning why we have to pay to feed ourselves in the first place. We're not talking about a luxury or some trinket, we're talking about something we actually need to survive, and millions of people have to starve to death all because they don't have enough pieces of paper. As a fellow Christian put it to me today, we didn't make the grass we stand on to grow the crops nor did we create the animals in the field to prepare for meat, so what right does anybody have to modify it at the genetic level and put a price tag on it as if its our own creation? This is just basic common sense.
Dcopymope
Member
 
Posts: 670
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 2:59 am


Return to THE LIVING ROOM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests