News Lies : Officially legal?

Questions, speculations & updates on the techniques and nature of media fakery
hoi.polloi

News Lies : Officially legal?

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Thanks to Fakeologist for the tip, though there wasn't much warning that it's part of an advertising campaign for another documentary that doesn't address special effects technology being used to fabricate news. (Seems like a dampening effort against awareness of crisis actors, simulated cities, vicsims and other major tools of media fakery. It's the same old "spin" story.)

I am posting it not because I necessarily believe in the premise but because it seems to be the legal world the media would force on us, should we not resist and push back. Also, does it make us think a legal fight is somehow worth it? Perhaps that's the allure of these articles — hypnotizing us into thinking about the drama as something the State will save us from before we as people rise up and change something major.

To summarize, it basically reports that lying in the news comes with no official repercussions from any body of government, while telling the truth or being a whistleblower can be prohibitive or uncomfortable.

I believe this is not always the case, and the article is written in such a way as to make it sound very threatening to try to report the truth to the media. I think we can safely believe this censorship is done on a case-by-case basis and we should not feel cowed or scared by the report just because the media may have gotten away with this in the past.

http://www.projectcensored.org/11-the-media-can-legally-lie/ (my emphasis) wrote:April 29, 2010

CMW REPORT, Spring 2003
Title: “Court Ruled That Media Can Legally Lie”
Author: Liane Casten

ORGANIC CONSUMER ASSOCIATION, March 7, 2004
Title: “Florida Appeals Court Orders Akre-Wilson Must Pay Trial Costs for $24.3 Billion Fox Television; Couple Warns Journalists of Danger to Free Speech, Whistle Blower Protection”
Author: Al Krebs

Faculty Evaluator: Liz Burch, Ph.D.
Student Researcher: Sara Brunner

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox “Investigators” team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.

According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox’s actions to the FCC, they were both fired.(Project Censored #12 1997)

Akre and Wilson sued the Fox station and on August 18, 2000, a Florida jury unanimously decided that Akre was wrongfully fired by Fox Television when she refused to broadcast (in the jury’s words) “a false, distorted or slanted story” about the widespread use of BGH in dairy cows. They further maintained that she deserved protection under Florida’s whistle blower law. Akre was awarded a $425,000 settlement. Inexplicably, however, the court decided that Steve Wilson, her partner in the case, was ruled not wronged by the same actions taken by FOX.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation.” In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a “law, rule, or regulation,” it was simply a “policy.” Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly.

During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so. After the appeal verdict WTVT general manager Bob Linger commented, “It’s vindication for WTVT, and we’re very pleased… It’s the case we’ve been making for two years. She never had a legal claim.”

UPDATE BY LIANE CASTEN: If we needed any more proof that we now live in an upside down world, the saga of Jane Akre, along with her husband, Steve Wilson, could not be more compelling.

Akre and Wilson won the first legal round. Akre was awarded $425,000 in a jury trial with well-crafted arguments for their wrongful termination as whistleblowers. And in the process, they also won the prestigious “Goldman Environmental” prize for their outstanding efforts. However, FOX turned around and appealed the verdict. This time, FOX won; the original verdict was overturned in the Appellate Court of Florida’s Second District. The court implied there was no restriction against distorting the truth. Technically, there was no violation of the news distortion because the FCC’s policy of news distortion does not have the weight of the law. Thus, said the court, Akre-Wilson never qualified as whistleblowers.

What is more appalling are the five major media outlets that filed briefs of Amici Curiae- or friend of FOX – to support FOX’s position: Belo Corporation, Cox Television, Inc., Gannett Co., Inc., Media General Operations, Inc., and Post-Newsweek Stations, Inc. These are major media players! Their statement, “The station argued that it simply wanted to ensure that a news story about a scientific controversy regarding a commercial product was present with fairness and balance, and to ensure that it had a sound defense to any potential defamation claim.”

“Fairness and balance?” Monsanto hardly demonstrated “fairness and balance” when it threatened a lawsuit and demanded the elimination of important, verifiable information!

The Amici position was “If upheld by this court, the decision would convert personnel actions arising from disagreements over editorial policy into litigation battles in which state courts would interpret and apply federal policies that raise significant and delicate constitutional and statutory issues.” After all, Amici argued, 40 states now have Whistleblower laws, imagine what would happen if employees in those 40 states followed the same course of action?

The position implies that First Amendment rights belong to the employers – in this case the five power media groups. And when convenient, the First Amendment becomes a broad shield to hide behind. Let’s not forget, however; the airwaves belong to the people. Is there no public interest left-while these media giants make their private fortunes using the public airwaves? Can corporations have the power to influence the media reporting, even at the expense of the truth? Apparently so.

In addition, the five “friends” referred to FCC policies. The five admit they are “vitally interested in the outcome of this appeal, which will determine the extent to which state whistleblower laws may incorporate federal policies that touch on sensitive questions of editorial judgment.”

Anyone concerned with media must hear the alarm bells. The Bush FCC, under Michael Powell’s leadership, has shown repeatedly that greater media consolidation is encouraged, that liars like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are perfectly acceptable, that to refer to the FCC interpretation of “editorial judgment” is to potentially throw out any pretense at editorial accuracy if the “accuracy” harms a large corporation and its bottom line. This is our “Brave New Media”, the corporate media that protects its friends and now lies, unchallenged if need be.

The next assault: the Fox station then filed a series of motions in a Tampa Circuit Court seeking more than $1.7 million in trial fees and costs from both Akre and Wilson. The motions were filed on March 30 and April 16 by Fox attorney, William McDaniels-who bills his client at $525 to $550 an hour. The costs are to cover legal fees and trial costs incurred by FOX in defending itself at the first trial. The issue may be heard by the original trial judge, Ralph Steinberg-a logical step in the whole process. However, Judge Steinberg must come out of retirement if he is to hear this, so the hearing, set for June 1, may go to a new judge, Judge Maye.

Akre and her husband feel the stress. “There is no justification for the five stations not to support us,” she said. “Attaching legal fees to whistleblowers is unprecedented, absurd. The ‘business’ of broadcasting trumps it all. These news organizations must ensure they are worthy of the public trust while they use OUR airwaves, free of charge. Public trust is alarmingly absent here.”
- http://www.projectcensored.org/11-the-m ... gally-lie/
brianv

Re: News Lies : Officially legal?

Unread post by brianv »

A Government of Liars and a Court of Liars give permission to the Media to tell Lies in their news stories!? :rolleyes:

Legal Schemgal! Is it Lawful?
edgewaters

Unread post by edgewaters »

Well, what else can be done? Should the government police the news for truth? Hah!

The problem is the expectation of truth from the news, not that the news only pretends to deliver.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

edgewaters wrote:Well, what else can be done? Should the government police the news for truth? Hah!

The problem is the expectation of truth from the news, not that the news only pretends to deliver.
The "Government" is the "News". The "News" is the "Government".
SlimJim

Unread post by SlimJim »

edgewaters wrote:Well, what else can be done? Should the government police the news for truth? Hah!

How about a law that charges a $1,000 or more fine on news agencies that lie about a news story.
Lawyers could have a new source of revenue. In addition to injury attorneys there are media hoax buster attorneys.
And the citizen who has evidence on a hoax could get a percentage of the fine.
Seneca

Unread post by Seneca »

SlimJim wrote:How about a law that charges a $1,000 or more fine on news agencies that lie about a news story.
Lawyers could have a new source of revenue. In addition to injury attorneys there are media hoax buster attorneys.
Sounds like a good plan, but it is never going to happen. I think we can use contract law though.

Suppose I write an e-mail to a newspaper that I want to get a month subscription for my family, on the condition that the paper provides X. X being something everybody expects from a newspaper, like checking their sources. They would probably agree, in Belgium they seem quite desperate for new subscriptions. So we have a contract. I'll pay the subscription and "wait" until the newspaper mentions a hoax (probably the next day). Then I will send a notice of default. If they don't change their ways I can bring them to court for breaching the contract and damaging my family's mental health.
If they don't agree to my condition, that in itself would be interesting to document.
What do you think?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Seneca wrote:
SlimJim wrote:How about a law that charges a $1,000 or more fine on news agencies that lie about a news story.
Sounds like a good plan, but it is never going to happen. I think we can use contract law though.

Suppose I write an e-mail to a newspaper that I want to get a month subscription for my family, on the condition that the paper provides X. X being something everybody expects from a newspaper, like checking their sources. They would probably agree, in Belgium they seem quite desperate for new subscriptions. So we have a contract. I'll pay the subscription and "wait" until the newspaper mentions a hoax (probably the next day). Then I will send a notice of default. If they don't change their ways I can bring them to court for breaching the contract and damaging my family's mental health.
If they don't agree to my condition, that in itself would be interesting to document.
What do you think?
Sounds like not a good idea. Ritual Lying is not confined to the "news". Religions. Governments. Media."Legal Systems". Ritual Liars all. The whole system from the ground up is a masquerade. That's what needs to be tackled. I'm afraid your suggestion is akin to tackling the symptom not the disease.
SlimJim

Unread post by SlimJim »

brianv wrote: The "Government" is the "News". The "News" is the "Government".
Hence "Big Business" = "Government" = the "News."
Therefore Hoax news is good for Big Business.
edgewaters

Unread post by edgewaters »

SlimJim wrote:

How about a law that charges a $1,000 or more fine on news agencies that lie about a news story.
Then the government just starts ticketing people like us. You can't trust the state to determine what is true and what is lies. The only real defence is to educate the population in critical thinking so that they stop expecting truth from the news.
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

edgewaters wrote:The only real defense is to educate the population in critical thinking so that they stop expecting truth from the news.
Which points to the truth that it all begins within each one of us. To expect that a legal system (outside of us) will cure the ills of society is to not have an understanding of where our experience of life originates. It is our own thoughts, and our understanding (or misunderstanding) of the Nature of Thought, that brings about our psychological experience of life. We can only experience our life through mind and consciousness and thought. Any understanding of life cannot be forced upon another. It must come from an insight, a realization, a revelation from within. We can only point the way.
Seneca

Unread post by Seneca »

brianv wrote:
Seneca wrote: Suppose I write an e-mail to a newspaper that I want to get a month subscription for my family, on the condition that the paper provides X. X being something everybody expects from a newspaper, like checking their sources. They would probably agree, in Belgium they seem quite desperate for new subscriptions. So we have a contract. I'll pay the subscription and "wait" until the newspaper mentions a hoax (probably the next day). Then I will send a notice of default. If they don't change their ways I can bring them to court for breaching the contract and damaging my family's mental health.
What do you think?
Sounds like not a good idea. Ritual Lying is not confined to the "news". Religions. Governments. Media."Legal Systems". Ritual Liars all. The whole system from the ground up is a masquerade. That's what needs to be tackled. I'm afraid your suggestion is akin to tackling the symptom not the disease.
I agree that lying is universal but I don't agree with your conclusions.
As edgewaters wrote, it is not only the lying that is the problem, it is also the ignorance and gullibility of the majority of people.
And to that I would add that the people who figured this out don't have enough impact.

So although I will not hurt the liars as much as I would like, it can still be a good way to help inform other people.
I think there are 3 possible results:
-newspaper refuses deal: like I said that's good documentation
-judge finds me right: that will make many people that didn't believe media fakery start thinking
-judge finds me wrong: least desirable outcome, I will have proof that justice system is entirely corrupt* (but proof is only understandable by intelligent people)

*I know it is corrupt. But what I am thinking at the moment is that they still have to uphold contract law, unless they are ordered not to.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Seneca wrote:
brianv wrote:
Seneca wrote: Suppose I write an e-mail to a newspaper that I want to get a month subscription for my family, on the condition that the paper provides X. X being something everybody expects from a newspaper, like checking their sources. They would probably agree, in Belgium they seem quite desperate for new subscriptions. So we have a contract. I'll pay the subscription and "wait" until the newspaper mentions a hoax (probably the next day). Then I will send a notice of default. If they don't change their ways I can bring them to court for breaching the contract and damaging my family's mental health.
What do you think?
As edgewaters wrote, it is not only the lying that is the problem, it is also the ignorance and gullibility of the majority of people.
And to that I would add that the people who figured this out don't have enough impact.

So although I will not hurt the liars as much as I would like, it can still be a good way to help inform other people.
-judge finds me right: that will make many people that didn't believe media fakery start thinking
-judge finds me wrong: least desirable outcome, I will have proof that justice system is entirely corrupt* (but proof is only understandable by intelligent people)

*I know it is corrupt. But what I am thinking at the moment is that they still have to uphold contract law, unless they are ordered not to.
"Imagined state" appointed "imagined judges" can kiss my entire you know what! Why play their master-slave relation games? Unsubscribe from the Media and your Cable; and most importantly unsubscribe from their "imagined authority". Fuck 'em. I thought that was standard operational procedure around here!
Selene
Banned

Unread post by Selene »

"Imagined state" appointed "imagined judges" can kiss my entire you know what! Why play their master-slave relation games? Unsubscribe from the Media and your Cable; and most importantly unsubscribe from their "imagined authority". Fuck 'em. I thought that was standard operational procedure around here!
I agree.

9 years ago I did just that; refrain from television. And although we may not have the same level of experience or cynicism as you, brian, we are in the same playfield; against and amazed by the lies too many sheeple still swallow...

The scarce moments I am confronted at the media lies again, I shiver by the idea that "normal" people are consuming these idiotic ideas everyday.

And agreed also on the failure of the "legal" system. So to see that telling lies is regarded not illegal is no surprise and only adds to the cynicism...

No sig, as I know you hate them. Peace though.
Seneca

Unread post by Seneca »

brianv wrote:
Seneca wrote:
brianv wrote:
What do you think?

I think you are misunderstanding me. Because I wouldn't call a demand to fulfill a contract a "game" and I explained you the reasons. I am interested in what you wrote about "unsubscribe from their imagined authority", that is also one of my goals. How did you do this? When did you stop paying income taxes or property taxes to the imagined state? And what do you do if somebody breaks their contract?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I think you are misunderstanding me. Because I wouldn't call a demand to fulfill a contract a "game" and I explained you the reasons. I am interested in what you wrote about "unsubscribe from their imagined authority", that is also one of my goals. How did you do this? When did you stop paying income taxes or property taxes to the imagined state? And what do you do if somebody breaks their contract?
Contract? Did you sign a Contract with the Imaginary State? Or are we talking Unilateral Contracts here? Thuggery? I do not allow any commercial, religious, state entities near my door. In recent years, now that I know the game, it has been fun chasing them away. I demanded at their " state offices" that they remove my given name from fake "Voting Register". Also I have officially removed myself from their fake religion which was imposed on me at birth. I don't have dealings with the state thugs calling themselves "policemen". If it ever happens, they will have a fight I assure you! As for Tax, which is not the same here by the way, but is a tricky one none the less, but I try my best not to pay any. I have a large garden and try to grow what I can. I don't suffer Shopping Mall's( the New Religion), I try not to eat or use anything bought in one. In fact I actively encourage others to Boycott them. There are other hurdles, automatic speeding tickets got me once, so I have to consider the family here, I can't go making unilateral decisions when it affects others. Pay up I did. So basically it's no TV, Radio, no Printed propaganda, No Religion, no Shopping Mall's, No Politics, no Football, no Alcohol, no Cinema. I have also trained myself not to look at any form of Advertising. Adblock Installed! Another very important point is the proper education of my kids, and I'm delighted to say that they are growing up happy and healthy.

A Question.

What do you see?