Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
astronut
Banned

Re: ENDEAVOUR - and the spaced-out NASA efforts

Unread post by astronut »

lux wrote:astronaut, how many photos have you taken of stars from the surface of the moon?

And, how many photos have you taken of Earth from the ISS or shuttle?
I don't need to do either to understand the basic photographic principles behind it much better than you do. :)
astronut
Banned

lux wrote: Multiple photographs of what?
The night side of earth, stars, aurora, and ISS.
lux wrote: Taken from what?
ISS.
lux wrote: What are the near-geometrically arranged bright spots?
Cities and towns.
lux wrote: What is the blue arch-shaped object?
Aurora.
lux wrote: Are you saying you took these photographs? What does this "timelapse" have to do with the discussion?
No. Pay attention, there were complaints that pictures from ISS didn't show stars or that the stars didn't move.
lux wrote:And, please answer the other 2 questions I asked earlier, which are ...
Have some patience. By the way, I'm STILL waiting for someone to answer MY question, why do pictures of ISS taken by telescopes on the ground show no stars around the daylit space station?
astronut
Banned

astronut wrote: Again, my own images of ISS show no stars. Why do you think that is?
Page 41 and I'm still waiting on an answer.
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Re: ENDEAVOUR NA$A can has stars

Unread post by reel.deal »

reel.deal

Re: "HERE COMES THE SUNS"

ILLUMINATED_NASA_ISS

2 ? 3 ? ..."suns" light sources casting opposing shadows on the ISS. :huh: :blink:
"Here Comes The Suns"
B)
starfield slapped on to jazz it up a bit.
:P
reel.deal

;)
astronut
Banned

Re: ENDEAVOUR NA$A can has stars

reel.deal wrote:NA$A can has stars

Those are hot pixels, not stars, genius.
astronut
Banned

reel.deal wrote:ILLUMINATED_NASA_ISS
Imagestarfield slapped on to jazz it up a bit.
So you photoshopped a picture of ISS, good for you, what does that prove other than how crazy you are?
lux

Unread post by lux »

astronut wrote:
astronut wrote: Again, my own images of ISS show no stars. Why do you think that is?
I'm still waiting for answers to my 2 questions asked of you, astronaut:

How many photos have you taken of stars from the surface of the moon?
How many photos of the Earth have you taken from the ISS or shuttle?

These Qs require only one-word answers so shouldn't be much trouble for you.

And, while you're at it, here is another question for you:

You say that the bright spots on this "timelapse" are cities and towns and that it is a composite of multiple photos. Could you explain the grid pattern of those spots? And, where are the oceans that cover 71% of the Earth's surface?
lux

Unread post by lux »

astronut wrote:
reel.deal wrote:ILLUMINATED_NASA_ISS
Imagestarfield slapped on to jazz it up a bit.
So you photoshopped a picture of ISS, good for you, what does that prove other than how crazy you are?
Try to pay attention, astronaut. He's showing that the NASA photo contains evidence of fakery as evidenced by the unrealistic position of shadows presumably cast by the Sun.
reel.deal

Touché!

ok. lets say those are "hot pixels" not clonestamp. fine.
sure be interested astroNUT, to see lots more "hot pixels" stars imagery,
care to enlighten us by posting up a few examples?

unphotoshopped...

lets say the 'apparently' opposing shadows at the top are the ISS 'curvature',
from "the sun directly above".
really ? is that a fact ?
reel.deal

whats this? ...is this hot pixels aswell ?
do most NA$A shuttle photos feature 2 moons?
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

I have a question for our member "Astronut"(aka Scott Ferguson) - the amateur astronomer which NASA itself hosts on its website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/ ... 0808a.html

Dear Astronut, please explain to us mere mortals just how you were able to track and photograph the Juno spacecraft and the Centaur booster. If you are an intelligent human being, you will understand why we regular John Doe's of this planet may wonder how such a feat was accomplished. Thank you!

Warning: If you fail to respond in an articulate manner, you will be banned from this forum - which invests lots of efforts to determine the authenticity of any given photographic material. Clowns are not welcome here. If you are, as you claim, the author of this image, you should be able to tell us exactly how it was captured - in consummate detail.

Your reply should include answers to the following questions:

1: How were you able - as an amateur astronomer - to point your telescope on these 2 objects?
2. Why did NASA publish your photo on their website? Don't they have their own photos of these spacecrafts?
3: Did NASA pay you for the copyrights of this image - which surely must have cost you time and effort?
astronut
Banned

simonshack wrote:*

I have a question for our member "Astronut"(aka Scott Ferguson) - the amateur astronomer which NASA itself hosts on its website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/ ... 0808a.html

Dear Astronut, please explain to us mere mortals just how you were able to track and photograph the Juno spacecraft and the Centaur booster. If you are an intelligent human being, you will understand why we regular John Doe's of this planet may wonder how such a feat was accomplished. Thank you!
Well I'm glad to hear you're impressed.
simonshack wrote: Warning: If you fail to respond in an articulate manner, you will be banned from this forum - which invests lots of efforts to determine the authenticity of any given photographic material.
Why do I get the feeling that I'll be banned no matter what I say? I am the photographer, moreover, you yourself did the searching on me and found that picture. Kind of ironic that you now question whether I'm really the photographer or not, but let's see what you have to ask...
simonshack wrote: Clowns are not welcome here. If you are, as you claim, the author of this image, you should be able to tell us exactly how it was captured - in consummate detail.
Sure. Not only can I tell you exactly how I captured it, I'm the only person out there who has the raw, unprocessed, original FITS file of that image AND others that I took in addition to it during the same night.
simonshack wrote: Your reply should include answers to the following questions:

1: How were you able - as an amateur astronomer - to point your telescope on these 2 objects?
Prior to Juno's launch I downloaded the pre-launch data on Juno's planned trajectory ephemeris from JPL:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi
Now, you may or may not be aware that Juno's launch was delayed 51 minutes due to a technical issue. To compensate for this I simply commanded the telescope to point to the coordinates in the ephemeris that corresponded to a point in the planned trajectory 51 minutes delayed from its originally planned position. The telescope I was using was not one I owned but rather one I rented, specifically the one you see there is from GRAS-016, a Takahashi TOA-150mm f/7.3 refractor mounted on a Paramount PME. The camera was an SBIG STL-11000M and I set the exposure time to 5 minutes with 4x4 on-chip binning.
simonshack wrote: 2. Why did NASA publish your photo on their website? Don't they have their own photos of these spacecrafts?
Sure they have their own photos, but they don't typically optically track their spacecraft like this (indeed, amateurs like me will do it for them for free without them even asking). I put this image along with several others that I took that night into a youtube video and sent it to the NASAJuno channel on youtube. That's when they expressed an interest in using one of the images on the NASA website.
simonshack wrote: 3: Did NASA pay you for the copyrights of this image - which surely must have cost you time and effort?
No, they didn't pay me, I don't do this for money. Indeed, the image is now in the public domain, so I can't make money with it, but I never intended to. I don't sell my photography, I give it out for free. I also volunteer my time and effort about once a month at sidewalk astronomy events and public star parties. That's not at all uncommon in the amateur astronomer community, in fact it's the norm.
astronut
Banned

lux wrote:
astronut wrote:
I'm still waiting for answers to my 2 questions asked of you, astronaut:
Your questions are irrelevant. How many galaxies and nebulae have you photographed? How many years have you been doing astrophotography? Now those would have been relevant questions...
lux wrote: You say that the bright spots on this "timelapse" are cities and towns and that it is a composite of multiple photos. Could you explain the grid pattern of those spots? And, where are the oceans that cover 71% of the Earth's surface?
Yeah, some cities are laid out in grid fashion, particularly the roads. And so they were flying over land at the time which was far more interesting to photograph than water at night... So what?