Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
hoi.polloi

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

It will be interesting to see how that goes, if you two do it again. Perhaps they will fire up an extra high altitude craft or two just to try to disprove your excellent posts you just made. I am serious. They are in quite a pickle if they continue to allow their bullshit to be called so easily. Don't go easy now. I'd say do your best to try multiple simultaneous observations at a few different times, and keep those times on the down low so they can't do it cheaply. Hit them where it hurts: their money schedule.

It's like when MetroTransit cuts a few buses out of the schedule because of low ridership. All it takes is a couple key observers to note. And what are they going to say, ISS installed a cloaking device? Hahaha!

Nice work Simon and Critical Mass!
smileys-cheers-788801.gif
smileys-cheers-788801.gif (4.75 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

simonshack wrote: But let us not draw any hasty conclusions from this first UK > ITALY team-work of ours. Let's try this again - next time we have a double-pass (and we both have clear / cloudless skies...).

Are you game? :)
Absolutely... it may take us months to get lucky though. Tonight looks like it'll be thick cloud here. I won't see a thing.

Yeah my pass 2 was meant to be a 'micro-pass' of four seconds, through thick cloud & at azimuth 10 degrees... effectively invisible.

However your pass 2 (my pass one) should have lasted over 3 minutes, according to Heavens above, yet not once got over 11 degrees azimuth (you couldn't have seen it unless you were on mountain or flat featureless plain).

Also odd whilst what I saw was very bright (-2.9) & visible through cloud (whilst virtually no other stars were visible) you should have seen only a faint point of light (brightness of 1.8 to 0.0) at the same time?

ElSushi

Unread post by ElSushi »

I'm curious to see where your further observations will take us, thanks to you both for experimenting what seems to be a "not very experimentable" thing, lol
ElSushi

Unread post by ElSushi »

Also odd whilst what I saw was very bright (-2.9) & visible through cloud (whilst virtually no other stars were visible) you should have seen only a faint point of light (brightness of 1.8 to 0.0) at the same time?
That's quite "surprising" if you ask me :P
You could barely see the stars but that super bright thing could "manage" to be visible through the thick clouds...go figure.
Critical Mass

ElSushi wrote:
That's quite "surprising" if you ask me :P
You could barely see the stars but that super bright thing could "manage" to be visible through the thick clouds...go figure.
Perhaps that is a calculation some other Cluesforum contributor can perform... how bright should the thing be?

Solar panels aren't particularly reflective yet this thing is often the brightest thing in the sky (brighter than Venus on some passes... allegedly) obviously though it was a lot closer to Liverpool than Venus is.

Would the additional few thousand km distance between Liverpool & Rome be enough to reduce its apparent brightness by several orders of magnitude?
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Critical Mass wrote: Would the additional few thousand km distance between Liverpool & Rome be enough to reduce its apparent brightness by several orders of magnitude?
Great point, CM.

Well, I'm glad we're connected now - it's an exciting little project we have here. Let's try and keep it up.

And curse you - you British clouds ! Get the fuck out of there ! :P
Critical Mass

simonshack wrote:And curse you - you British clouds ! Get the fuck out of there ! :P
Looks like it'll be another cloudy night... I don't want this thread to turn into a running UK weather report.

I'll just PM you from now on.
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

simonshack wrote:
Critical Mass wrote:
Tonight** I should be able to see the light at 20:08 to 20:11

I did see the latter part of this event even through the cloud...

I could not confirm the next 4 second long pass.[scheduled for 21:44].
Dear CM, last night two passes of the "Thing" were scheduled (on the Heavens Above site) over Rome - 98 minutes apart:

PASS 1:12 Oct Appears:19:33:05 (W) > Disappears 19:38:57 (NE) Highest point 30°

and

PASS 2:12 Oct Appears:21:11:29 (NW) > Disappears 21:11:50 (NW) Highest point 11°

It was a splendid, cloudless night here in Rome - and stepping out in my panoramic garden at 19:33 (18:33 YOUR TIME) I saw the Thing for over five minutes (PASS 1), very clearly indeed - traveling from W to NE, just as advertised. So I eagerly looked forward to observe PASS 2, scheduled for 21:11:29 (20:11:29 YOUR TIME). Please note that this means that, when you saw the Thing disappearing last night, I would have seen it appearing.

Well, I didn't. There was nothing there. I simply could not confirm PASS 2 - although I went out early (to make sure not to miss it) and looked in the correct direction (NW) - something I have become quite good at over time, being an eager "ISS"-watcher...

Now, let's make a few considerations:

If I HAD seen PASS 2, that would have scored some points for NASA. In fact, at their claimed speed of 28.000km/h, the "ISS" would cover the Liverpool>Rome distance in about 3min30secs. The problem is, I did not see it.

So how might NASA explain this away? Well, please note that my PASS 2 was scheduled to be what I would like to call (for the purpose of our discussions) a "MICRO PASS", i.e. a fly-by visible for only a handful of seconds - appearing and disappearing in the NW section of my skyline. Just HOW such brief sightings would occur is still, in fact, pretty much a mystery to me. To this day, I have only witnessed what I will call "FULL PASSES", i.e. fly-bys that last for several minutes (and up to as many as 6 minutes). So I guess NASA would say: "too bad, you just missed it. Pay closer attention next time".

As it is, your PASS 2 was also scheduled to last for a mere 4 seconds and - unsurprisingly perhaps - you also failed to observe it.

But let us not draw any hasty conclusions from this first UK > ITALY team-work of ours. Let's try this again - next time we have a double-pass (and we both have clear / cloudless skies...).

Are you game? :)
last night i finally managed to observe 2 consecutive passes. it could be seen exactly as described at this webpage:

http://iss.de.astroviewer.net/beobachtung.php (duration, path, etc. matched perfectly)

the second flyover was quite spectacular because the thing entered earth's shadow quite accurately over my head (stuttgart, germany) and it looked like the light got switched off 'magically'.
ElSushi

Unread post by ElSushi »

and it looked like the light got switched off 'magically'.
HA ! :P
ElSushi

Unread post by ElSushi »

So digital...so magical.
Ah, le cinéma...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBQazOQfoE
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

The 43rd second of this video resembles a fade-edit. Not "time lapse" as claimed. Could be distraction from the fact that the whole thing is warped to resemble the "curved Earth" (which we know has not been conclusively shown yet in real untampered non-NASA and/or -military faux-tography) but still interesting to note.

It seems that sometimes with their sims, they pick key times to create a false impression of normal editing.
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

tak47 wrote: last night i finally managed to observe 2 consecutive passes. it could be seen exactly as described at this webpage:

http://iss.de.astroviewer.net/beobachtung.php (duration, path, etc. matched perfectly)

the second flyover was quite spectacular because the thing entered earth's shadow quite accurately over my head (stuttgart, germany) and it looked like the light got switched off 'magically'.
similar situation tonight:

http://iss.de.astroviewer.net/beobachtu ... =Pforzheim
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Is there anything here that you might find interesting? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosphere
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

So, in the thermosphere it's 2500deg C there but the thermometer reads 'significantly' below 0deg C... :blink:

Ah, so that's like a thermos flask, significantly hotter on the outside, than the inside...er...i mean significantly colder on the inside than the outside...er...

As the astronot was asked:
-What do you have in your flask? He replied:
-'Soup and ice cream'. When asked:
-' Why have you put soup and ice cream in the thermos together?'. He replied
-'Duh! It keeps cold things cold and hot things hot'
...72 seconds later...boom boom..
.if you're a Basil Brush fan...or 72 seconds [later] in space...bleep...bang...if you're not.

Apologies for going off on a tangent there, only that i was looking for the band who wrote the song '72 seconds in space bleep bang' [after the Challenger Shuttle 'Disaster'] and came across this about the 'WOW' signal, which may have been mentioned on the forum previously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal
Just thought it was another 'minor' coincidence.

Edit: changed 'odd' coincidence to 'minor' coincidence.