Stars/no stars - and other space oddities

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Re: Stars/no stars - and other space oddities

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

^ That´s one of the silliest cartoons I have ever seen! How can any sensible adult believe that´s actual footage, regardless of the claim that "the star-trails were processed"?
ProperGander
Banned

Unread post by ProperGander »

Neil Armstrong sees no stars in space.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdcdxvNI1o
Last edited by ProperGander on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProperGander
Banned

At 44:25 or so the Apollo crew discusses not being able to see stars in space.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeAGGpRYmKY

Of course this was all for show. No footprint was ever left on the Lunar surface.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Have we not posted that video before? Doesn't matter, though. It's comedy gold. I wish more would actually watch it and see for themselves what the clowns do.
ProperGander
Banned

I hadn't seen them posted before. I thought it would be a good idea to have these videos posted under this subject. If I post anything redundant, or otherwise inappropriate, please edit or delete accordingly, it will not 'hurt my feelings'. ;)
I like and agree with the way this site is managed. It is one of the reasons I feel comfortable enough to post here.
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

So, amongst all of Buzz's babble [from about 02:00 onwards] he mentions that they did sight 'stars' through a telescope?
ProperGander
Banned

NASA stands for 'Never A Straight Answer"

The Apollo astronauts were supposed to be navigating with stars by sight, (but with a computer), If I recall correctly.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

"As a backup, and for segments of the mission where ground tracking was not practical, an on-board inertial navigation system was used. Astronauts periodically used a sextant to sight on stars and the horizons of the Earth and Moon to align the inertial system, and to verify the accuracy of the Earth-based tracking data."
https://www.ion.org/museum/item_view.cf ... =5&iid=293

In the BBC interview above, Armstrong seams to be clear about not seeing stars on the Lunar surface nor seeing them during the trip to the Moon from the Earth, but not his fellow astronaut Michael Collins:

"Michael Collins never set foot on the moon. As Armstrong and Aldrin descended to the lunar surface in the Eagle lander, Collins orbited around the moon in the command module of Apollo 11, called Columbia. For a day he circled, waiting for his comrades to lift off again. As he passed behind the dark side of the moon, his communication with Earth was totally cut off.

In his autobiography "Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys," Collins wrote about that isolation with surprising enthusiasm:

"I feel this powerfully -- not as fear or loneliness -- but as awareness, anticipation, satisfaction, confidence, almost exultation. I like the feeling. Outside my window I can see stars -- and that is all. Where I know the moon to be, there is simply a black void, the moon's presence is defined solely by the absence of stars."

http://www.ibtimes.com/michael-collins- ... ire-759261

What we can state is that we have no real photography of the celestial bodies from high altitude nor from outer space. In fact, the Apollo astronauts did no real experiments as far as I can tell from the ample video evidence. They also didn't bother to do any astronomical experiments or observations of all the other stars they should have seen, nor did they take any such photography from the Lunar surface.
ProperGander
Banned

This subject points to why there are issues with Flat Earth theories. In fact why all theories about the Earth's shape might be problematic as one has to consider how the light is traveling or propagating in the first place. Some of the assumptions that modern science has built the proverbial house of cards on is that the stars are an incredible distance away and that light is traveling in the supposed 'vacuum' (or somewhat of a vacuum) of space. If we have reason to question this premise, and we do, we have to reconsider the rest of it don't we? If we have no evidence light can be seen past a certain altitude. allot of it goes out the window.
edgewaters

Unread post by edgewaters »

What I'd like to see, is the stars disappearing as the camera went up. That would look pretty silly, I think, no matter how good the production values were.
roastrunner

Unread post by roastrunner »

I have a theory that individual stars may not be visible in space, due to the pinpoint of light emitted by a star millions of light years away simply being too small to be picked up by the rods and cones in our eyes. Here on Earth we have the diffusing effect of our atmosphere to make those microscopic pinpoints scatter enough to see. Of course that wouldn't apply to nebula, galaxies, planets, etc, and I'm sure the view of the heavens would be breathtaking and not a "bottomless black bucket" as one astronaut so eloquently put it. But as far as stars go, you might only be able to see clusters of stars.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

roastrunner wrote:Here on Earth we have the diffusing effect of our atmosphere to make those microscopic pinpoints scatter enough to see.
Are you sure about that? Could you explain further, please? It sounds counterintuitive.
roastrunner

Unread post by roastrunner »

I have no idea if I'm right, of course, but my thinking was:

If you consider the size of a star, however many millions of miles its diameter might be, but then consider how far away it is, several light years even for Alpha Centauri, then the apparent size of that star would be very small if you were in space. Too small to see perhaps. At some point light isn't going to register in our eyeballs (I would assume). I suppose this could be proven or disproven in a vacuum chamber with a laser pointer with an incredibly small diameter, shining on a non-reflective surface. If you can see it, I'm wrong, else I'm perhaps right.

Anyway, here on earth, that starlight hits atmospheric particles which refract it slightly. Enough light is refracted here & there to produce something large enough to see. That's why we see a halo around the sun or the moon.

If you look at a bright star on a clear night, like Polaris, it appears to be the size of Mars more or less. Yet of course if you work out the trig, it should be millions of times smaller than Mars. I think we only see it because its light is being somewhat scattered in the atmosphere.
Intothevoid

Unread post by Intothevoid »

I would like to share one of my own personal experiences regarding the visibility of stars during commercial air travel. Two years ago I was on a flight from the eastern US to Las Vegas, Nevada. We had a lay over at the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Texas. As luck would have it, I had the window seat and the Sun had already set about 30 minutes prior to our departure. While waiting for take off I looked out the window and could see stars. Once at cruising altitude with the cabin lights dimmed as most people were sleeping...I could not see any stars period. I could make out clouds below because they blocked the occasional lights on the ground as we flew over the desert but could not see a star, the Moon (which was near the new moon phase) or anything above.

Once I had time after returning from my trip I decided to find an explanation as to why I couldn't view any stars from my excellent vantage point above most of the atmosphere and free from light pollution minus the dimmed cabin lighting. The best explanation I could find was the cabin lighting was washing out my view of the stars even though I wrapped my hands around my eyes to the window as to block any glare. Another explanation was the windows of the plane were tinted too much to see the stars. I can clearly see stars from my vehicle windows which are darkly tinted with my interior light turned on... so I call BS on that one.

I would like to know if anyone else has bothered to look out the window during a flight and if so what was the result? I mentioned it to a few co workers who fly regularly and only got one response. No stars.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

brianv wrote:
scud wrote:

Indeed oddfellow, have a look at SC member ‘totalrecall’s’ blog on this very subject, it’s quite extensive and ask’s as I have asked here, friends and family if anyone can remember seeing stars on a clear night through an aircraft window at cruising altitude. So far for me, it’s been ‘umm...err...dunno’ whereas one would have expected a resounding...“Course I have...whatchya on about?”...yet to independently corroborate as my life has been a dismal failure therefore no air travel for me anytime soon :P
Did you ask any of those same fliers did they notice an empty black sky while flying at night?
People don't pay attention. You can see stars. At least I can. And if you can't, I suggest you get your eyes (or the weather) checked. Is the sun out? Is there more sunlight lighting up the atmosphere now that you are lifted 10+ km in the air?

Having said that, is there some kind of proof that there is a diffusion going on closer to the Earth which makes stars more visible? Perhaps. Who is going to do that research? That's the important next step.

If I recall correctly, I have never seen through an airplane window the number of stars that I've seen on a nice clear night on a car's rooftop in the country. However, that is not very rigorous, is it?

We already know that NASA is full of shit for a number of reasons. I keep saying this, though I cannot afford a proper telescopic view from a high flying airliner right now, but we need to start doing this research for ourselves.
molodyets

Unread post by molodyets »

edgewaters » October 12th, 2015, 9:35 am wrote:What I'd like to see, is the stars disappearing as the camera went up. That would look pretty silly, I think, no matter how good the production values were.
As strange as it seems, this is likely correct and the reason why I have never seen a credible video of a rocket ascending into the sky where the camera is pointing to the sky. They usually point to the Earth. As we ascend into the atmosphere, the stars should get brighter, and at some point they will start to diminish until they disappear altogether, at least from the perception of human eyes.

The following article has some evidence that stars are invisible (outside the visible spectrum) in the upper atmosphere/space and somehow the atmosphere transforms the electromagnetic radiation into visible light. I don't understand this mechanism, but it could be similar to one possible reason why the sky is blue: the upper atmosphere glows from sun radiation, and not light scattering through the atmosphere.
http://anxietypub.com/the-black-sky/

If stars do not shine in the visible spectrum, it brings up some very interesting questions and their answers will lead to true scientific advancement which is why I believe they will keep it hidden. The people behind NASA must know the truth about this and probably know the answers already. They also probably know that this will be exposed one day and if they don't show stars in their hollywood productions, they will retain credibility when it is generally accepted that 'starlight' needs transformation into the visible spectrum.