China's Moon Mission(s)

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
hoi.polloi

China's Moon Mission(s)

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

So, apparently China has been craving a moon mission since at least the year 2000, when they boasted at the World's Fair of their intention (if you consider a miniature replica of Apollo 11 with Chinese flags on the space suits an impressive feat).

But now, just 13 years later, from the chuckleheads at SPACE.com comes China's amazing manless moon rover!

http://www.space.com/23787-china-moon-r ... aunch.html

I don't really know what to say about these graphics, folks, except — did China acquire an expensive first edition Playstation One to make this simulation software?
china-moon-rover-lander.jpg
china-moon-rover-lander.jpg (88.6 KiB) Viewed 22512 times

No word on whether this is supposed to be a photograph or another simulation, of slightly better quality than Super Mario 64.
china-moon-rover-yutu-image.jpg
china-moon-rover-yutu-image.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 22512 times
Love the prop rock. How long did an intern spend on the subsampling lighting software, I wonder?

From the article:
China's Yutu rover is a six-wheel robot that weighs nearly 310 lbs (140 kilograms) and is equipped with two solar panels for power. A global online poll was used to come up with suggested names for the robot. In the final round of voting, about 650,000 people out of more than 3.4 million chose Youtube Yutu [...] "More than 80 percent of the technology adopted in the mission is new, and with new technology and products carrying out new tasks, there are certainly great risks," said Li, as reported in China Daily. "It could be a trying process for the rover to move down the lander," he said.
Yes, the Jade Rabbit is brand new technology. A rover coming out of a lunar skirt covered in tin foil. We haven't seen that gag before. :rolleyes:

If you want to see something really cute, check out http://english.cntv.cn/special/lunarmission/index.shtml , where the Chinese "Space Dream" (as they, themselves, call it!) is explained in broken English, exciting fonts and hilarious imagery. I love this one:
FirstRover_101251_1385713888679.jpg
FirstRover_101251_1385713888679.jpg (104.49 KiB) Viewed 22503 times
Hahahaha! :wub: Can I get one for Christmas? You can pick it up at Ikea, right?

Woops, I wasn't paying attention. My bad. They've already had two successful Chang'e missions back in '07 and '10 while nobody was looking. I guess that makes them just a little more exclusive. You'll have to pick up the parts at Home Depot instead. (Don't worry, it's all really made in China!)
CitronBleu

Re: China's Moon Mission(s)

Unread post by CitronBleu »

If all the major nations in the world are staging these senseless techno-space fables, I cannot but wonder: why?

Is it to create the illusion of an endless era of wonder and progress in humanity?

Is it to secure a means for States to funnel government funds into secret operations?

Is it a way for States/Nations to intimidate or threaten each other by implying large, secretive sums of money are being invested into military, ballistic technology?
hoi.polloi

Good guesses. Perhaps it's a cover for options. In a secluded area in full view - hidden under our very noses - is a whole range of freedoms only accessible to the very rich.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

I would add that it could also be a way to further their control over the thoughts and belief systems of humans as to what the universe looks like, where we came from, etc.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Good list.

I think it's also a way to evoke awe from the public and position the perps as heroes. To give the suckers the idea that their governments do great things. This helps create the illusion that governments are good and so they should be obeyed.

The "space programs" of the world are practically the sole "evidence" (fake though it is) that governments do anything of benefit to mankind at all.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Lux wrote:The "space programs" of the world are practically the sole "evidence" (fake though it is) that governments do anything of benefit to mankind at all.

Oh, come on now, Lux ! it would be grossly unfair to say that the Space Programs of this world haven't benefited mankind in any way. See, most people think that NASA only brought us Tin Foil, Tang, Velcro and Teflon. Well - that is in fact just a popular myth - and we REALLY shouldn't spread such misinformation on this down-to-earth forum of ours!

Mistakenly attributed NASA spinoffs:
Tang juice powder (Tang was developed by General Foods in 1957, and it has been for sale since 1959. It was used in the first orbit missions, which gave awareness to it.)
Teflon (Invented for DuPont in 1938 and used on frying pans from the 1950s. It has been applied by NASA to heat shields, space suits, and cargo hold liners.)
Velcro (A Swiss invention from the 1940s. Velcro was used during the Apollo missions to anchor equipment for astronauts’ convenience in zero gravity situations.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin- ... ss_vacuums
So, having put these common misconceptions straight - I now urge you to consult the above-linked We-kid-pedia page to learn about the REAL & TRUTHFUL advances that space research has achieved to improve our lives on this planet - for the betterment of humankind. For instance - and just to name a few:

FREEZE-DRIED ICE CREAM (aka "Space Ice Cream")
"Freeze-dried ice cream is ice cream that has had most of the water removed from it by a freeze-drying process, sealed in a pouch, and requires no refrigeration. It is also known as astronaut ice cream or space ice cream, typically a slab of ready-to-eat dehydrated ice cream. Compared to regular ice cream, it can be kept at room temperature without melting and is more brittle and rigid but still soft when bitten into." More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_ice_cream

PORTABLE CORDLESS VACUUMS (aka "The Dustbuster")
"For the Apollo space mission, NASA required a portable, self-contained drill capable of extracting core samples from below the lunar surface. Black & Decker was tasked with the job, and developed a computer program to optimize the design of the drill’s motor and ensure minimal power consumption. That computer program led to the development of a cordless miniature vacuum cleaner called the Dustbuster." More info here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova ... aning1.htm

REMOTELY CONTROLLED OVENS
"Applying the same remote command and control concepts that NASA uses to run experiments on the Space Station, this oven allows its owners to cook dinner from the road using a cell phone, personal digital assistant or any Internet connection." More info here - from the Official NASA webite: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/technologies/oven.html

ENRICHED BABY FOOD (an accidental NASA discovery)
"While NASA researchers were exploring the idea of using algae as a way to create oxygen in outer space through the process of photosynthesis, they made a few new discoveries (...) Commercially available infant formulas now contain a nutritional enrichment ingredient that traces its existence to NASA-sponsored research on bread mold as a recycling agent for long-duration space travel. The substance, formulated into the products life’sDHA and life’sARA and based on microalgae, can be found in over 90% of the infant formulas sold in the United States." More info here. http://humantouchofchemistry.com/how-na ... y-food.htm

THE SUPER SOAKER
"In 1982, NASA engineer Lonnie Johnson changed water fights forever. While working on developing a heat pump that circulated water instead of freon gas, Johnson hooked up a special nozzle he had designed to his bathroom sink (...) The engineer, who worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Los Angeles, spent the better part of the decade securing a patent and refining his invention, which eventually exploded into toy stores in the early 1990s as the Super Soaker, now sold by Hasbro." More info here: http://tech.ca.msn.com/photogallery.asp ... 010&page=1

And the list goes on and on ! <_<

Hey, and with China joining the space race, we can expect all of such life-essential commodities to become FAR more affordable! Yay!
lux

Unread post by lux »

I stand corrected. :lol:
simonshack
Administrator

CitronBleu wrote:If all the major nations in the world are staging these senseless techno-space fables, I cannot but wonder: why?
Dear Citronbleu,

Here's a guy you might like to check out - in order to get a sense of what sort of loon-heads are advocating and lobbying for space travel funding, the colonization of space and so on and so forth. This ROBERT ZUBRIN guy is - in my mind - a most disturbing specimen of the type of clowns who make up the current 'intelligentsia" behind the techno-space fables, as you rightly call them. I find it quite fitting to post this short ZUBRIN speech here on this "China Space Missions" thread - since he goes on about the vital necessity for "Chinese peasants to become rocket scientists"...

Just pay attention to what this funny Mr. ZUBRIN utters - starting from 3:35 into this video:

"And it becomes a gift to us that the sons and daughters of Chinese peasants are becoming scientists and engineers, so that rather than wasting their lives in ignorance and drudgery, they can be contributing their genius to human invention and the advancement of human technology everywhere... And so, rather than all being enemies, all men and women can be brothers and sisters so that we have a future of peace instead of a future of war."

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZW61IXvsc

See? So space travel is all a matter of A FUTURE OF PEACE versus A FUTURE OF WAR ! ^_^
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

lux wrote:I think it's also a way to evoke awe from the public and position the perps as heroes. To give the suckers the idea that their governments do great things. This helps create the illusion that governments are good and so they should be obeyed.

The "space programs" of the world are practically the sole "evidence" (fake though it is) that governments do anything of benefit to mankind at all.
Totally agree.

I wish I could think of stronger words that 'contempt' and 'despise' to describe what I think of governments and politicians - and voters. Moronic fools.
Farcevalue

Unread post by Farcevalue »

simonshack wrote:
CitronBleu wrote:If all the major nations in the world are staging these senseless techno-space fables, I cannot but wonder: why?
Dear Citronbleu,

Here's a guy you might like to check out - in order to get a sense of what sort of loon-heads are advocating and lobbying for space travel funding, the colonization of space and so on and so forth. This ROBERT ZUBRIN guy is - in my mind - a most disturbing specimen of the type of clowns who make up the current 'intelligentsia" behind the techno-space fables, as you rightly call them. I find it quite fitting to post this short ZUBRIN speech here on this "China Space Missions" thread - since he goes on about the vital necessity for "Chinese peasants to become rocket scientists"...

Just pay attention to what this funny Mr. ZUBRIN utters - starting from 3:35 into this video:

"And it becomes a gift to us that the sons and daughters of Chinese peasants are becoming scientists and engineers, so that rather than wasting their lives in ignorance and drudgery, they can be contributing their genius to human invention and the advancement of human technology everywhere... And so, rather than all being enemies, all men and women can be brothers and sisters so that we have a future of peace instead of a future of war."

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZW61IXvsc

See? So space travel is all a matter of A FUTURE OF PEACE versus A FUTURE OF WAR ! ^_^
Of course! Because it's those blasted peasants and all their ignorance and drudgery that is the stumbling block to world peace.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Complete launch "footage":

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMgpKwfbZGE

The Rabbit has landed!
lux

Unread post by lux »

A really cool model rocket! :lol:
hoi.polloi

That is totally a miniature, a la Thunderbirds Are Go! Hilarious!
lux

Unread post by lux »

Indeed!

They are shooting a miniature set with a wide angle (WA) lens because this exaggerates spacial relationships and makes things look more spread out then they really are. This contributes to its "Thunderbirds" TV show look. The curvature of the towers at right and left edges of the frame below reveal the wide angle lens ...
... because WA lenses (especially cheaper ones made in China) often have trouble rendering straight lines at the edges of the field. They turn straight lines into curves at the edges and make tall structures look like they are leaning or curving inward toward the center.

If this were really shot from some distance away (as it purports to be) you wouldn't get that telltale curvature at the edges because telephoto lenses don't make curves out of straight lines like that.
simonshack
Administrator

CHINA ON THE MOOON !

Spectacular modern high resolution images finally show us the moooon surface in its full splendor!

China picture of the Moooon ( The Rabbit - 2013):
http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/201 ... HREC1-12#6

The laughable picture quality of 40 years ago... :rolleyes:

USA picture of the Moooon (Apollo 17 - 1972)
http://blog.nasm.si.edu/history/leaving ... g-at-home/