RedBull SpaceDive

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Heiwa
Banned

Re: LIVE NOW - man leaps from edge of space

Unread post by Heiwa »

It seems density of helium is about 0.169 kg/m3 and density of air is 1.220 kg/m3 at sea level and therefore a helium balloon can carry 1.051 kg/m3 load at sea level. Thus to carry a, say, 1 051 kg RedBull module you need a 1 000 m3 helium balloon with diameter 12.6 m, if it is round. So far so good. :rolleyes:
Air pressure at sea level is about 101 000 Pa and at 39 000 m only about 1.48 Pa or about 68 000 times smaller. If I understand physics correctly :unsure: , it means that the helium balloon must be 68 000 times bigger volume wise at 39 000 m altitude to carry 1 051 kg. The diameter of the balloon must increase 40 times to say 505 m. Did it? And what happens to the helium inside the ballon in the mean time? Can it keep the balloon expanded?
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

this is supposed to be the POV footage:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGRzcg6NzA
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

This feels like a gullibility gauging exercise. An experiment to see how silly a Hoax can get, before it's rumbled by the majority. We now teeter on that precipice! :lol:

edit: corectted tpyos
Last edited by reichstag fireman on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

You are thus carried by a balloon with 500 m diameter up into the sky to 39 000 m altitude over New Mexico and – you jump or dive with body vertically for minimum frictional and turbulence resistance. First record broken! That was easy. :lol:

Your vertical velocity increases and after 40.4 seconds, at 31 000 m altitude, it is 396 m/s ignoring resistance of any kind. With resistance like friction and turbulence it goes a fraction slower. You drop faster than sound! Another record broken! Nobody has done it before. Dropped so fast. :lol:

Now, if you continue like this, without resistance of any kind, you will hit ground a 0 m altitude with velocity 875 m/s after only, total from jump, 89 seconds. New Mexico is say at 500 m altitude, so you have to take that into account. You will hit ground after 88 seconds. :blink:

You thus decide to brake and friction/turbulence is the only possibility, e.g. you position yourself and your 80 kg body horizontally to increase the flat body area exposed to the air … at 400 m/s velocity at say 30 000 m altitude. Or you have a tiny parachute to help braking? Luckily air pressure and density increase to help you on your way down. :rolleyes:

Your objective is to brake to 100 m/s speed at 2 000 m altitude, where you will open your real parachute. This horizontal body deceleration apparently takes 112 seconds and is of the order 2.68 m/s² or 0.27g. You believe it is possible, of course. :o

You are very happy that the air pressure applied on your body suit doesn’t rip it (and parachute) off leaving you only with your underwear … and that you actually can decelerate like that in the cool air. It seems to be another fantastic record. :wacko:

I have heard about jet pilots ejecting from their planes at high speeds … and they were all ripped apart and died. Very sad, actually, and a good reason not to try it. ;)
Last edited by Heiwa on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frost

Unread post by Frost »

You also have to remember guys that the balloon is speeding along with the Earth rotation. How your imagination is dealing with it? Well, it's only the edge of space. What if it's IN the space: does it still have to speed with rotation or it can fly freely? Where is the border?
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Frost wrote:You also have to remember guys that the balloon is speeding along with the Earth rotation. How your imagination is dealing with it? Well, it's only the edge of space. What if it's IN the space: does it still have to speed with rotation or it can fly freely? Where is the border?
Yes, yes - everything on Earth and in the atmosphere just above it, like Felix' 500 m dia balloon and Felix, rotates at same rate as Earth. Only the ISS a little higher up goes much faster, so it orbits the rotating Earth at 90 minutes ... but that is another topic. :rolleyes:
lux

Unread post by lux »

Did they bother to include a fake sonic boom, I wonder?
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

tak47 wrote:this is supposed to be the POV footage:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGRzcg6NzA
Very hypnotic. Like the spiral over Norway. :rolleyes:

Watch the shiny pendulum ... you are getting sleepy ... very sleepy ... when I count to 10 ...
fast67vellen2o

Unread post by fast67vellen2o »

Is it possible to see the earth as a round sphere from as high as he supposedly was?
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

lux wrote:Did they bother to include a fake sonic boom, I wonder?
A Felix, not fake, sonic boom is the sound associated with the shock waves created by a human named Felix traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound. A Felix sonic boom generates enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion. :o
When a human named Felix drops through the air, he creates a series of pressure waves in front of him and behind him, similar to the bow and stern waves created by a boat (my speciality since 40+ years). These waves created by Felix travel at the speed of sound, and as the speed of the human named Felix increases, the waves are forced together, or compressed, because they cannot get out of the way of each other, eventually merging into a single shock wave at the speed of sound. :rolleyes:

This critical speed is known as Mach 1 for planes and similar vehicles (ships cannot do it) and FELIX 1 for human divers and is approximately 340 m/s at sea level with 1000 hPa pressure and 20 °C. The shock wave starts at the nose of Felix and ends at the ass hole. :lol:

But let's face it. Felix did his stunt at 32 000 m altitude in very, very thin air, where the sound travels much slower than 340 m/s and nobody hears anything anyway, so there was no shock wave or burn out at the Felix ass hole.

Corrected Oct. 17 - Evidently the speed of sound in vaccuum is zero and maybe only 10-20 m/s in the low pressure at 39 000 m altitude, i.e. Felix dropped faster than the local speed of sound after a few seconds but as pressure was low - no sonic boom. Change of pressure also affects the sound of your voice.
Last edited by Heiwa on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
atheist

Unread post by atheist »

Did anyone notice Earth spinning though ground speed was 18 kmh according to official stats?
rick55

Unread post by rick55 »

Hello clues crew! Rick55 here... Viewing profile - rick55 • Cluesforum.info
http://www.cluesforum.info/memberlist.p ... ile&u=2264

Here's my Introduce yourself entry
REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself • Cluesforum.info
http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p2373363

I have some rough notes on this event that I took yesterday that youall might find interesting.... and I had a redbull today to try it. Here are my notes.
RickPotvin.com: Simon Shack
http://www.network54.com/Forum/71040/me ... -+probably
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

rick55 wrote:I have some rough notes on this event that I took yesterday that youall might find interesting.... and I had a redbull today to try it. Here are my notes.
Your forum says "Access to this forum is limited. In order to access or read this forum you must be a member. To become a member click on the "Create a login" link below and follow the simple steps. If you are currently a member please sign in to see the latest postings. No access privilege groups are currently available."

But maybe you can post your notes here, too?
rick55

Unread post by rick55 »

reichstag fireman wrote:
rick55 wrote:I have some rough notes on this event that I took yesterday that youall might find interesting.... and I had a redbull today to try it. Here are my notes.
Your forum says "Access to this forum is limited. In order to access or read this forum you must be a member. To become a member click on the "Create a login" link below and follow the simple steps. If you are currently a member please sign in to see the latest postings. No access privilege groups are currently available."

But maybe you can post your notes here, too?
Sorry about that... I opened it up just an hour ago...(I forgot I had it locked)... it's now wide open fireman. Not possible to post my notes here as you'll see when you get there.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

DeeJay wrote:4) Helicopters can fly up to around 8,000 feet at Mt. Everest yet this helicopter only caught him at 6,000 feet.
Did you mean to say 8,000 meters, rather than 8,000 feet? Everest's height is 8,848 meters.