RedBull SpaceDive

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
TrutherInTX

Re: RedBull SpaceDive

Unread post by TrutherInTX »

Here is another video of the space jump. Its interesting that Felix seems to have a smoother jump in this video than the original one that showed him flipping upside down repeatedly. I am not seeing any space shots which I would expect if he was tumbling.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiFrxbHxV0
lux

Unread post by lux »

...and now ...

Red Bull Stratos -
The Animated Musical

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCqnQq86fkY
lux

Unread post by lux »

I'm having a hard time believing some of this, especially the "close proximity" flying. Any comments?

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiWRD4g7KcU
dblitz

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by dblitz »

I'd like to know why they fly so close to the ground, and how that works. Wouldn't it be better to ride thermals higher up? How is a bit of webbing supposed to prevent a full size person from dropping straight down, instead allowing them to glide down the side of mountains as if they were white water rafting through the canyons and gullies? They don't seem to wear much protective gear either, just a helmet. I would wan't some motocross style body armour and elbow and knee pads to slide and scrape my way out of trouble.

Also, one of the suits is branded 'Red Bull...' <_<

Then again, in the early nineties, I had a photo of a pro skateboarder railsliding a handrail down about 12 stairs on one of my school folders and every one who saw it laughed at me for being so stupid because he had obviously just glued the board in place and climbed up to stand on it for the photo. But I was the one laughing as I had seen it done right in front of me, not that I ever expected to a couple of years earlier. I imagine this wingsuit stuff would be popular in Australia, maybe I should track down some of these extreme sportsmen and see it for myself.

Skateboarding videos traditionally include a 'slam section.' That's people failing and hurting themselves. I didn't watch to the end because I have data restrictions that rule out long videos and I can't stand that song. Does the footage contain any accidents or failures? Are there any recorded deaths from this sport? I imagine facial injuries are common, and broken wrists, arms, shoulders and skulls. 'Extreme' sportsmen usually revel in their injuries and accidents, sometimes it's the best footage you get for that day! I might Google 'Wingsuit fail' or something similar. There should be something of that nature on the tube if this is a real activity.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

I've seen these videos before but it's interesting to view this through a new lens. I don't have a problem with this (yet). At first glance (prima facie), :D I think it's real. It should be easy to for the average person to verify for themselves, no? Meaning that this shouldn't be something that is only accessible to a handful of people (in space or otherwise).
lux

Unread post by lux »

I don't have a problem with the high altitude stuff – it's the low level close proximity stuff that makes me wonder. Maybe I'm being too skeptical but some of the things I wonder about are -

- These wingsuit clips (there are lots of them on YT) rarely show the end of the flight, i.e., the landing. How do they land? Do they deploy a chute while flying so close to the ground @ 100+ mph? Is it possible to safely land that way? Why don't they show it?

- This guy's suit seems to have no “wings” at all yet he's still flying like a glider! So, why use a wingsuit? Just jump off a cliff and fly around, man! You can steer with your fingers!

- How was this clip @ 6:00 showing wingsuiters flying by both sides and below the camera? How was this shot? From a helicopter? You better be careful flying by those rotors -- ouch!

- And, in this clip the wingsuiter flies by a video cameraman on the ground:
So, they planned this from miles away to fly by this exact spot using just a couple of balloons a few feet off the ground? Is this sort of flying accuracy really possible? If so, I think they've got the 9/11 WTC pilots beat! (joke)

This newish sport is also emerging during the age of such daredevil hoaxes as Red Bull and the Wallenda wire walk (discussed in other threads) so my BS meter is already twitching. And, I guess it also seems so incredibly dangerous that it's hard for me to believe that more people aren't killed doing it. If it's real, that is.
SlimJim

Unread post by SlimJim »

dblitz wrote: Also, one of the suits is branded 'Red Bull...' <_<
This means Red Bull is equal to adventure and fun. 'Red Bull gives me wings'.

I say no one can fly like that. Unless they drink Red Bull.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

I don't mean to sound rude / ignorant or anything - but which version of Playstation is this? :mellow:

lux

Unread post by lux »

This guy allegedly landed on water. Or did he?

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xmAWS4akE

And, where did his cameraman (who was flying right behind him) land?
arc300

Unread post by arc300 »

lux wrote:This guy allegedly landed on water. Or did he?

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xmAWS4akE

And, where did his cameraman (who was flying right behind him) land?
It is an admitted fake, and it is good to see that most of the commenters on the youtube vid saw it as such.

This vid explains the fakery (unless it is a fake fake):

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cabcZP-I_Nc

The other vids look fake, too. Flying/falling at high speed through ravines and trees, while at the same time making nano-second adjustments to pitch and yaw and roll and whatever else must be nigh on impossible with just a floppy, flappy batman suit.
There's nothing new about high altitude sky-diving maneuvers as in the compilation vid, though, it's been happening for years so those at least could be said to be "Based on a True Story", but not necessarily true.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Speaking of nano-second adjustments -- look at this one:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8UCfxmtSw

My favorite comment:
" I can do that. Hold my beer." :lol:

But, I wonder -- is there a purpose to these fake daredevils? Are they trying to get the idiots to actually try these stunts themselves and thus reduce the lower IQ population? :blink:
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Let's do a serious reality-check now, folks:

Of course a man can fly - providing a large enough wingspan. The "wings" of those Redbull wingsuits are ridiculously small - and would never allow a man to keep aloft for more than a few seconds (let alone provide a very fast forward motion - as shown in those spectacular Redbull-shit wingsuit animations). On the other hand, we have all seen delta-gliders in our lifetimes (I have personally seen a delta-glider guy jumping out of a Swiss mountain cliff - and I stood about 10m from him as he jumped ).

Here's how a delta hang-glider works:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShYTGj1VLE

It is an entirely different matter to believe that:

1: You can jump out of a cliff and soar slowly in the air - with a LARGE wingspan area such as a delta glider. A quite feasible and proven fact.

or that...

2: You can jump out of a cliff (with a suit which provides a minuscule wingspan stretching between your arms and your feet) and just fly forward - at very high speed.

It would appear that these Wingsuit-videos are meant to weaken the general public's understanding of simple physics and aerodynamics. In this sense, we can say that these 'Wingsuit videos' are some sort of psyop. A psychological operation meant to dumb down the public's intelligence. Where have we seen such antics before?
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

Editing my post.

Wow. Red Bull indeed.

I would like to suggest to the mods that we move this discussion to the Red Bull Space Jump thread.

ADMIN NOTICE (simon): Done!
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

simonshack wrote:It would appear that these Wingsuit-videos are meant to weaken the general public's understanding of simple physics and aerodynamics. In this sense, we can say that these 'Wingsuit videos' are some sort of psyop. A psychological operation meant to dumb down the public's intelligence.
I agree, especially after reading this article:

A solemn warning to Wingsuit flyers

http://xtremesport4u.com/extreme-air-sp ... it-flyers/

Being the amazing account of the incredible Geoffrey Robson, super mathematician and wingsuit daredevil. Some quotes:
He considered himself lucky enough to be able to combine his interests in one study: aerodynamics and wingsuit flying and aimed to combine maths and science to improve wingsuit flying.

He had been studying wingsuit flight to unprecedented accuracy by using a highly sensitive instrument which measured 3D location by GPS and inertial measurement, flyer attitude and heading, altitude, and air pressure during many wingsuit Base jumps.

Today Geoffrey Robson is dead.

Early in the morning of Monday, 12th April, he tried the same route, but this time he wanted to cross the ridge between Devil’s Tooth (the peak to the front, right) and the mountain. His calculations were wrong, and he failed to clear the ridge, resulting in his death at the age of 31.
This article includes some statistics (unsourced) recording the number of deaths per thousand participants for various extreme sports in the five years up to 2010.
Skydiving: 3.3
Base Jumping: 44
Hang Gliding/Paragliding: 3.8
Summiting K2: 104
ATV Riding: 0.5
Scuba Diving: .06
Snowboarding: .05

Although wingsuit flying is not on the list (there is probably not enough data to work with yet) it is probably somewhere between skydiving and BASEjumping. It is an interesting aside, though, that fatality rates were very high during the developmental period for this extreme sport. Between 1930 and 1961, 71 out of 75 people died trying to perfect a wingsuit.
Who knew base jumping was so popular back then?

The article has two videos embedded, one of Robson's doomed flight that doesn't play because it is 'private' (anyone ever got that before?) and another one of Geoffrey speaking at the Zurich Minds Foundation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zurichminds

Zurich Minds seems to represent the scientific elite whose role is to 'sanctify' dangerous and anti-human or trans-human technologies and give their 'blessing' to the various programs intended to cull the herd and manage the lesser intellects by imposing their consensus as the only scientific truth.
lux

Unread post by lux »

simonshack wrote:*

Of course a man can fly - providing a large enough wingspan. The "wings" of those Redbull wingsuits are ridiculously small - and would never allow a man to keep aloft for more than a few seconds (let alone provide a very fast forward motion - as shown in those spectacular Redbull-shit wingsuit animations). On the other hand, we have all seen delta-gliders in our lifetimes (I have personally seen a delta-glider guy jumping out of a Swiss mountain cliff - and I stood about 10m from him as he jumped ).
I've seen hang gliders launch too. There is a launching spot near my home where they jump off a mountain top. This experience is why I posted the wingsuit flyer videos -- they just look so fake to me. Judging by the YouTube comments, many people believe wingsuit flying is real (11M+ hits on the "cave video" above alone) and I do agree that it must be a psyop of sorts. Quite a vicious one too since people could die as a result of this mistaken belief in wingsuit "flying"!
Last edited by lux on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.