RedBull SpaceDive

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
DeeJay

Re: LIVE NOW - man leaps from edge of space

Unread post by DeeJay »

DeeJay wrote:
reichstag fireman wrote:
CitronBleu wrote:Anyone else watching?
SteveO
Hi SteveO, I'm watching.
Recording, too, hopefully?
hi to both of you!
i'm watching too! heady stuff...

DeeJay[/quote]
he made it!
fast67vellen2o

Unread post by fast67vellen2o »

Did anyone else notice the extremely fuzzy picture of him falling and then deploying the parachute and right after that, they suddenly switched to a dead clear helicopter view?
DeeJay

Unread post by DeeJay »

fast67vellen2o wrote:Did anyone else notice the extremely fuzzy picture of him falling and then deploying the parachute and right after that, they suddenly switched to a dead clear helicopter view?
Whilst he was falling at first it was against a dark grey background then it sort of switched for while between the grey and the blue. I think that the helicopter started to track him at around 6,000 feet.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Just another candidate for an Oscar of "stupidest bullcrap of all times". :angry:

http://video.repubblica.it/sport/l-impr ... ef=HRER3-1
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

For those of us who recognise that the Red Bull balloon jump was a hoax, what are we now supposed to think of the Red Bull Company? In the knowledge that it engages in acts of deception, to boost its public profile?

Do I want to drink something produced by a company like that? Where does the deception stop? Production line cleanliness guaranteed? Every bottling machine, every mixing machine, checked frequently for safety?

Red Bull is deluding itself if it thinks it will gain more customers from this stunt.
Last edited by reichstag fireman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haze

Unread post by Haze »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bvrjnr7HZc
DeeJay

Unread post by DeeJay »

simonshack wrote:*
Just another candidate for an Oscar of "stupidest bullcrap of all times". :angry:

Why Simon do you say that?

I am not scientifically-minded and it looked real to me although I do have some questions about it, questions that I would probably never have had before arriving at this site. Perhaps you could elucidate?

1) When he was inflating his suit, I did not see his left arm inflate at all. His back was bloated but not his arm.

2) I can't figure out where the cameras were:
- inside: ok
- outside, on top of the capsule looking down: ok
- outside, from the side when we watch him push forward to the hatch and put his feet out, where was that filmed from? the balloon?
- He had cameras affixed to his suit but we didn't see anything as he dropped. Maybe tomorrow?

3) His visor clouded up, he couldn't see. I thought he might crash but shortly before landing someone said that the visor problem had been resolved. How?

4) Helicopters can fly upto around 8,000 feet at Mt. Everest yet this helicopter only caught him at 6,000 feet. Is there a difference in the air density at these two locations?

5) What was the cause of the dark-grey background on a brilliant day?

I AM looking forward to the footage from the cameras attached to his suit! This would be a real head-spinner and the main reason I tuned in!

DeeJay
reichstag fireman

DeeJay wrote:

...it looked real to me...
Do you want to buy a bridge?!

I've never see such a pathetic hoax. Where do you even begin to unravel this imbecilic specimen of video fraud?
Perhaps the best method is simply to look at how to fake it. Childs' play, to put it blunty.
90% of the fuzzy "freefall" footage could be simulated with an oval piece of paper danced on a piece of cotton, and with the camera badly out of focus.
It really was pure crud! Are you serious DeeJay, or is there something wrong with your eyesight/cognitive functions?
DeeJay

Unread post by DeeJay »

reichstag fireman wrote:
DeeJay wrote:

...it looked real to me...
Do you want to buy a bridge?!

I've never see such a pathetic hoax. Where do you even begin to unravel this imbecilic specimen of video fraud?
Perhaps the best method is simply to look at how to fake it. Childs' play, to put it blunty.
90% of the fuzzy "freefall" footage could be simulated with an oval piece of paper danced on a piece of cotton, and the camera badly out of focus.
It really was crap! Are you serious DeeJay, or is there something wrong with your eyesight/cognitive functions?
Dear RF
I was clicking on the 1st BBC link about the London Olympics on this site (doing my reading) when I saw that Baumgartener was already 2 hours+ into his ascent. Hurray! A balloon is going up to the edge of space and a guy is supposed to jump! We'll get mind-spinning video if he survives!
He was up at 128,000 feet at one time? And the balloon was rising at different speeds? Is this not possible? The balloon was filmed clearly as it was rising, I don't know how, great tele-lens? And you could see the capsule, a tiny bullet, beneath the balloon.
When Baumgartner commenced his descent, he looked even smaller. I would expect a human body filmed from that height not to be high-definition. What did disturb me is that dark-grey background. Maybe there is an explanation for that. Then eventually we saw legs and then a troubling tumbling and then a parachutist's pose. Then the parachute deployed and then we had the helicopter and the blue sky. I watched this on my laptop.
It is true that at 54 my eyesight is no longer what it once used to be. More than that, it is how my brain interprets things. I am here at this site to learn and not to antagonise, so please, if you have the patience, explain to me and perhaps others, how I have misinterpreted what I saw.
DeeJay
reichstag fireman

The fake freefall video is too boring for words* so please tell us a bit about yourself, [email protected] , to help overcome the stultifying boredom of processing the 4210 video frames of mindless garbage.

"Leap" (frames #1473-#1689)

"Freefall" (frames #1690-#2191)

Initially I thought the fuzzy "freefall" frames (#1690-#2191) were faked with a bit of paper on the end of some cotton.

Now though, it looks like it's just a torch beam in a darkened room. Absolutely pathetic! :lol:

* simon's 14MB link (limpresa di Felix il momento del lancio - Video Repubb.mp4) has 4210 frames of 640x360 @ 25fps.
omaxsteve
Banned

Unread post by omaxsteve »

Amazing how they could capture amazingly sharp Hi def video for every inch of the ascent, yet on the way down they show what looksliek an incandescent light bulb on a string.

I think I am now programmed to spot the fakery. I suppose that those who are not yet exposed to the depths of fakery shown on their tv screens could watch that and believe it was "real".

Not even a strong effort at trying to make it look real, in my opinon.

Can't quite figure out the motive, though, I guess coming so close to the other private company going to the ISS now Red Bull pulls this stunt, it all goes to make NASAs bull sh!t look believable? If private companies can manage "space" missions with limited resources there's no limit to what NASA can do.

Regards,

SteveO
lux

Unread post by lux »

The footage that I've seen taken from high altitude balloon launches all show the camera rotating back and forth as the balloon spins which it does pretty much constantly during its flight and while at max altitude. Yet this balloon "capsule" seems rigidly fixed in space somehow. It doesn't rotate at all as if it were attached to a firm structure.

Balloons have no way to control rotation as far as I know so I wonder why this thing seems so fixed in space.

Also, when he jumps off I would think this would cause the balloon to rise due to the sudden loss of weight. The camera conveniently switches to an overhead view looking down just before he jumps so you really can't tell if the balloon did rise. If they had held the side view as he jumped we might have been able to tell that the balloon did or didn't rise as he jumped.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

But lux ... no helium balloon can fly at 39 000 m altitude in almost vacuum and carry 1000+ kg of capsule & Felix with another ballon filming, etc. :lol: It was a nice stunt, though. :P
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

5) What was the cause of the dark-grey background on a brilliant day?
i watched this whole thing on austrian television. their explanation:

the picture was "greyed-out" during freefall because they used infrared cameras with live GPS tracking in order to chase him at such high speed.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Heiwa wrote:But lux ... no helium balloon can fly at 39 000 m altitude in almost vacuum and carry 1000+ kg of capsule & Felix with another ballon filming, etc. :lol: It was a nice stunt, though. :P
I don't doubt that it was faked. I'm just unqualified to say what balloons can or can't do (altitude-wise) so I just say what I see. :)
Last edited by lux on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.