RedBull SpaceDive

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Evil Edna
Banned

Re: RedBull SpaceDive

Unread post by Evil Edna »

The question of wingspan (or lack of) has made me (doubly) suspicious of the famed Harrier Jump Jet. It has unconvincingly small wings for the size of its fuselage and weight. Uniquely, it's also an aeroplane that can supposedly take off and land vertically! The only fixed wing aircraft with that capability! A tall story! Surprisingly not discussed yet on this forum??
arc300

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by arc300 »

lux wrote: But, I wonder -- is there a purpose to these fake daredevils? Are they trying to get the idiots to actually try these stunts themselves and thus reduce the lower IQ population? :blink:
I think you're right.
One of the reasons I stopped watching television all those years ago was the proliferation of retarded faux-reality rubbish like Jack Ass and its imitators/brethren. These shows appeared at around the same time that the -now commonplace- trend of body mutilation in the form of piercings, tattoos etc started to take off. Some people suit these 'adornments', but IMO most don't. Most people are just expressing their individuality by being exactly like everyone else. I often think that I might be able to secure my future by investing in tattoo removal technology and make a fortune when all the mousy little bookworms realise how dreadful their faded, misshapen scribblings look.

Sorry to bring THIS up, but I was unlucky enough to sit through a Jack Ass movie at a friend's house, and two of the awesome, extreme and right-on stunts they pulled were defecation related.
One 'stuntman' deliberately shit his own pants on camera. Barrel of laughs.
Another stuntman went into a hardware store with a newspaper, sat on a display toilet in the shop and defecated.
I couldn't believe that 1) this passes for humour, and 2) no sane man in the shop shoved his worthless head into the bowl and made him eat it.

So, yeah, I think 'they' are trying to lower our IQ's down to the level of shit-flinging monkeys, and if you come to my town you'll see how well they are succeeding.

Back on topic, I noticed the jet-like sound effects and stirring music on the batcave video. I used to know a guy who did sound recording for film and tv and he proudly told me that, in terms of immersion and suspension of dis-belief, sound was equally as important as the visuals. So I watched the clip with the sound off and the fakeness of it really does seem that much more evident.
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Regarding the Harrier - it's wingspan, around 7 meters at the shortest, compared to it's weight at 4,540 k, is not inconsistent with other jet fighter designs.

The Starfighter has an even smaller wingspan, at 6.3 meters with an empty weight of 6,350 kg,

and looks even less feasible than a Harrier.

Larger fighters like the Hornet have twice the wingspan of a Harrier with around twice the weight.
lux

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by lux »

arc300 wrote:
lux wrote: But, I wonder -- is there a purpose to these fake daredevils? Are they trying to get the idiots to actually try these stunts themselves and thus reduce the lower IQ population? :blink:
I think you're right.
One of the reasons I stopped watching television all those years ago was the proliferation of retarded faux-reality rubbish like Jack Ass and its imitators/brethren. These shows appeared at around the same time that the -now commonplace- trend of body mutilation in the form of piercings, tattoos etc started to take off. Some people suit these 'adornments', but IMO most don't. Most people are just expressing their individuality by being exactly like everyone else. I often think that I might be able to secure my future by investing in tattoo removal technology and make a fortune when all the mousy little bookworms realise how dreadful their faded, misshapen scribblings look.

Sorry to bring THIS up, but I was unlucky enough to sit through a Jack Ass movie at a friend's house, and two of the awesome, extreme and right-on stunts they pulled were defecation related.
One 'stuntman' deliberately shit his own pants on camera. Barrel of laughs.
Another stuntman went into a hardware store with a newspaper, sat on a display toilet in the shop and defecated.
I couldn't believe that 1) this passes for humour, and 2) no sane man in the shop shoved his worthless head into the bowl and made him eat it.

So, yeah, I think 'they' are trying to lower our IQ's down to the level of shit-flinging monkeys, and if you come to my town you'll see how well they are succeeding.

Back on topic, I noticed the jet-like sound effects and stirring music on the batcave video. I used to know a guy who did sound recording for film and tv and he proudly told me that, in terms of immersion and suspension of dis-belief, sound was equally as important as the visuals. So I watched the clip with the sound off and the fakeness of it really does seem that much more evident.
Yes. There also seems to be a proliferation in recent years of Hollywood products glorifying dangerous stunts like reckless driving ("Need for Speed" etc etc) and many other types of deadly physical stunts. In the USA "accidents" are listed as the #5 leading cause of death so it seems they are trying to "improve" upon that statistic by promoting this type of behavior. Monkey see, monkey do, you know.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Evil Edna wrote:The question of wingspan (or lack of) has made me (doubly) suspicious of the famed Harrier Jump Jet. It has unconvincingly small wings for the size of its fuselage and weight. Uniquely, it's also an aeroplane that can supposedly take off and land vertically! The only fixed wing aircraft with that capability! A tall story! Surprisingly not discussed yet on this forum??
Dear EE,

I happen to have seen a Harrier landing and taking off vertically - many years ago at the Brands Hatch racetrack in GB (in occasion of the British Formula 1 Grand Prix). On the same day, a Concorde also made a low fly-by. Both were ridiculously loud, by the way. But yes, the Harrier actually does work as advertised. Its powerful jet engines push against air (just like rockets do - although NASA will tell you otherwise) - so I very much doubt that a Harrier would work in the vacuum of space.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

Would you like to jump from low Earth orbit using this awesome suit?

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/would-you-lik ... socialflow
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ I think this is what the Red Bull hoax is leading up to. AstroNots will no longer return via space capsule but will just jump out and land on Earth.

Saves money on the hoax budget I guess.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

Another "HD" video of Felix's jump.

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/felix-b ... ump-gopro/