Falling satellites and other "Dangers from Space"

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Re:

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Observations showed that ISON was shedding about 112,000 pounds of dust and 130 pounds of water every minute.
Determining something so precise regarding the amount of dust and water shedded by a comet sounds preposterous to me.
Heiwa wrote:Any water, actually ice, of the comet will evidently become vapour for a while and return to being ice of the comet after the slingshot.
If comets are what they are said to be, and if they do contain ice, and if that ice should become vapor for any reason, it certainly won´t be hanging around long enough to turn back into ice!
lux

Re: Falling satellites and other Dangers from Space

Unread post by lux »

... and, if the thermosphere's source of heat (4500° F) is the sun then the entire comet should vaporize any minute now.
Heiwa
Banned

Re: Re:

Unread post by Heiwa »

Flabbergasted wrote: If comets are what they are said to be, and if they do contain ice, and if that ice should become vapor for any reason, it certainly won´t be hanging around long enough to turn back into ice!
Sorry, but everything of a comet moving/turning at high speed in space hangs together and nothing drops off in flight, when, e.g. slowly turning around the Sun as otherwise suggested by the NASA fools. Evidently the comet warms up, when it comes closer to and slingshots the Sun, but nothing, e.g. hot vapor or warm liquid, flies off in another direction or gets away on its own. Reason is that the forces acting on all cold, varm, hot parts of the comet are all in the same direction all the time when turning ... and no part, cold solid, warm liquid or hot gas, can go off in another direction. Simple physics. :rolleyes:

On a merry-go-round at Washington DC, USA, on the other hand, stupid people not holding on may be thrown off and get killed, but it is in the USA where other laws rule. :angry: In space it is much simpler. Everything in motion just moves on. :)

E.g. French satellites. If you for any reason want to put a satellite in space orbit around our planet Earth, I can recommend several French companies doing just that. I am of course a share holder (small) of these companies. :)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Heiwa wrote: E.g. French satellites. If you for any reason want to put a satellite in space orbit around our planet Earth, I can recommend several French companies doing just that. I am of course a share holder (small) of these companies. :)
Gee - that's an astute investment, Heiwa! I sense that the Ever-Expanding-International-Spacehoax-Industry isn't going bankrupt anytime soon - if they can even get smart people like yourself to lend them their personal savings ! :lol:

Are you also a shareholder in ESA's ExoMars project, by any chance? That Ariane 5 rocket rocks - and seems to be a rather versatile launcher! :P
Esa will launch a mission called ExoMars in 2013 in which a robot rover will search the Martian surface for evidence of past or present life.
But Jean-Yves Le Gall, chief of Arianespace, which operates the Ariane 5 launcher, told BBC News: "It is clear that ExoMars will be launched by Ariane 5 because this is the European space policy which has been decided at the Berlin Ministerial Conference in 2005."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/7093172.stm
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Heiwa wrote:... nothing drops off in flight ... no part, cold solid, warm liquid or hot gas, can go off in another direction. Simple physics ... in space it is much simpler. Everything in motion just moves on.
Heiwa, no matter how many roll-eyes you include in your argument, there is nothing simple about the physics of space. We don´t even know for sure what conditions are like in near-absolute interplanetary vacuum. If we did, why are we even discussing it on this forum?
"Flight" is certainly not the same thing in space and in the atmosphere, so your analogies are of questionable value. Also, if the Moon isn´t large enough to retain an atmosphere, why would a tiny comet retain a cloud of gas? I thought we had agreed that gas and vacuum are incompatible!
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

@Heiwa

May I so bold as to ask - What return did you have on your "small investment"?
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

brianv wrote:@Heiwa

No problem. I bought plenty EADS shares at 17 and now they are at 52. What is that? 300%. OK, EADS is mostly Airbus, better EU planes than the US Boeing rubbish Dreamliners. But EADS is also in space and military scrap paid for by various governments. It appears that France and our rockets are actually able to put satellites in high altitude/velocity orbit around planet Earth. Simon doubts it. Evidently it is impossible to get those satellites back down safely. Everything sent up in space at high speed/altitude orbit will burn up on return. Hope we agree on that.
Only good return is my EADS investment. :D
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Heiwa wrote:

No problem. I bought plenty EADS shares at 17 and now they are at 52. What is that? 300%. OK, EADS is mostly Airbus, better EU planes than the US Boeing rubbish Dreamliners. But EADS is also in space and military scrap paid for by various governments. It appears that France and our rockets are actually able to put satellites in high altitude/velocity orbit around planet Earth. Simon doubts it. Evidently it is impossible to get those satellites back down safely. Everything sent up in space at high speed/altitude orbit will burn up on return. Hope we agree on that.
Are ESA and Hairy Anne the sames as EADS ?
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

brianv wrote:
Heiwa wrote:

EADS is the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. mostly producing civilian airplanes. For European tax reasons the company is registered in the Netherlands.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Heiwa wrote:
brianv wrote:
Heiwa wrote:

EADS is the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. mostly producing civilian airplanes. For European tax reasons the company is registered in the Netherlands.
That's not what I asked, I asked if the Arriane project and the ESA are the same thing as EADS!
simonshack
Administrator

brianv wrote: Are ESA and Hairy Anne the sames as EADS ?
"Hairy Anne" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

^_^ :mellow: An adult toy?

simonshack
Administrator

brianv wrote: That's not what I asked, I asked if the Arriane project and the ESA are the same thing as EADS!
Yes, Brian. ( ...aaand 'the same as' Airbus - the 'European Boeing', so to speak - both being monopolist aircraft builders).

EADS:The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. is a global pan-European aerospace and defence corporation registered in the Netherlands and a defence and military contractor worldwide. The group includes Airbus which manufactures commercial aircraft, and Airbus Military which manufactures tanker, transport and mission aircraft; Eurocopter, the world's largest helicopter supplier; Astrium, providing systems for aerial, land, naval and civilian security applications including Ariane, Galileo and Cassidian.

In 2013, it was announced that EADS is planning to change its name to Airbus Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EADS
ESA is, of course, the European Space Agency that, of course, peddles Ariane (or Hairy Anne, as you nicely re-named it).
simonshack
Administrator

Alright folks, so I want you all to pray for me this weekend - since some huge Chinese rocket debris might just crash into my garden... -_-

As the story goes... well, I will let you read this dramatic article published on BBC News today:

Big Chinese rocket segment set to fall to Earth

Debris from a Chinese rocket is expected to fall back to Earth in an uncontrolled re-entry this weekend.

The main segment from the Long March-5b vehicle was used to launch the first module of China's new space station last month.

At 18 tonnes it is one of the largest items in decades to have an undirected dive into the atmosphere.

The US on Thursday said it was watching the path of the object but currently had no plans to shoot it down.

"We're hopeful that it will land in a place where it won't harm anyone," US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said. "Hopefully in the ocean, or someplace like that."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57013540
"Hopefully in the ocean, or someplace like that" - says the US Defense Secretary. Well, here in Italy, word goes that it may well crash in Rome or its outskirts (which is where I happen to live!). Here's my translation from an article by our local (Rome & Lazio province) TV News Station "CANALE 10":
The fragments of a Chinese spaceship at risk of falling in Rome and Lazio

"Without wishing to indulge in alarmism or catastrophic hypotheses, this time the danger of falling fragments in the capital (Rome) or in Lazio is real. The Chinese rocket "Long March 5B", which on 29 April brought the first module of the Tiangong space station into orbit, is in fact in an uncontrolled plunge towards the Earth and seems likely to hit central southern Italy. According to some experts, Rome and Lazio are considered "at risk" areas."
https://canaledieci.it/2021/05/04/a-ris ... a-e-lazio/
Oh well, just pray for me dear friends - will you ? :P

(Perhaps I should dust off my old motorcycle helmet - or will a facemask offer better protection?)
Nefilimp

Re: Falling satellites and other "Dangers from Space"

Unread post by Nefilimp »

simonshack wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:35 am
Oh well, just pray for me dear friends - will you ? :P

(Perhaps I should dust off my old motorcycle helmet - or will a facemask offer better protection?)
Will definitely pray for you! Any God in particular or shall I try to include as many as possible to increase your chances?

As to make you smile in what might be your last hours on this beautiful planet;

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJfkxRf_Xg
simonshack
Administrator

Re: Falling satellites and other "Dangers from Space"

Lol, dear Nefilimp - thanks for cheering me up ! And yes, try to include as many Gods as possible in your prayers (incl. Santa Claus) - as I've no idea which one is the real deal!

But hey, this heavenly / Chinese threat is getting terribly SERIOUOUUS ! :lol:
ROCKET IN FREE FALL: ALERT FROM THE PROTEZIONE CIVILE*
(* i.e. the 'Civil Protection' - the Italian equivalent of FEMA)

The Civil Protection underlined that "on the basis of the information currently made available by the scientific community, it is possible to provide some useful information to the population so that it responsibly adopts self-protection behaviors: it is unlikely that the fragments cause the collapse of buildings [*phew!*], which are therefore to be considered safer than open places. The advice of the Civil Protection is "to stay away from windows and glass doors", since "the fragments, impacting on the roofs of buildings, could cause damage, perforating the roofs themselves and the underlying floors, thus also causing danger for people".
https://notizie.virgilio.it/razzo-cadut ... ia-1480069
So, let's see... building-collapses not likely - yet perforation of roofs and underlying floors remains a possibility!

In other words: "STAY AT HOME - or else run the risk of a horrible death"! (Hmmm... where have I heard that sort of advice before?)

The above-linked article concludes as follows:
The Civil Protection Department added: “While not having precise information on the vulnerability of individual structures, it can be said that the lower floors of buildings are safer; inside the buildings, the structurally safest places to position oneself in the course of a possible impact are, for masonry buildings, under the vaults of the lower floors and in the doorways inserted in the load-bearing walls (the thicker ones), for buildings in reinforced concrete, near the columns and, in any case, near the walls; it is unlikely that the smaller fragments are visible from the ground before impact; some large fragments could resist the impact ".

Their final recommendation: "It is generally recommended that anyone who sees a fragment, not to touch it, to keep a distance of at least 20 meters, and must immediately report it to the competent authorities".
Should it fall in my garden, I'll definitely not comply to that last recommendation: I'll just throw a barbecue party for all of my local friends - with a playlist of Chinese folk songs (or/and punk rock) blasting from my PA system. -_-

We truly live in a very, very silly world.